U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,613 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying 20 to 30 acres thirty minutes SE of Magdalena, NM. I am unsure of how far I will have to run the electrical line but it could be as much as a quarter of a mile. I'm curious how much that would cost to run the electrical from the pole to the house. Anyone with information, please do share. I need to have an idea on what I'm looking at. Thankyou!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 8,511,910 times
Unless you're planning on building a factory or a subdivision, I don't think a power line extension is a very good idea. You're looking at, minimum, hundreds of thousands of dollars just for the line, not including stuff at the terminals. And that's for clear level ground, which I suspect you don't have available to the lot. Multiply the cost by 5 or more to put in underground cabling. And the whole enterprise will require maintenance.

Consider, alternatively, a solar and battery system. For $30k and perhaps $1k in maintenance each year (including backup generator), you can live off-grid and laugh at occasional power outages faced by your on-grid neighbors. You also won't ugly up the horizon with your electrical service; I imagine the views are a big part of the reason for buying the land.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,613 times
Thankyou....I was thinking that route anyway....I agree..I hate to clutter up the beautiful view!

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 4,534 times
We bought in Catron county. Pie Town. Our subdivision has electric to road so from road to cabin was about 2 grand. Hope this helps. We use solar and propane and electric.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 PM

396 posts, read 206,787 times
It's served by Socorro Electric Coop.

Socorro Electric Cooperative, Inc. PO Box H
215 E. Manzanares Ave.
Socorro, NM 87801
(575) 835-0560
(800) 351-7575

Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 AM

26,530 posts, read 47,825,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpeisert57 View Post
I am considering buying 20 to 30 acres thirty minutes SE of Magdalena, NM. I am unsure of how far I will have to run the electrical line but it could be as much as a quarter of a mile. I'm curious how much that would cost to run the electrical from the pole to the house. Anyone with information, please do share. I need to have an idea on what I'm looking at. Thankyou!
Quote:
New Construction Application Process
1. Contact the Member Services Department at 575-835-0560 (menu option 0) to set up an account and work request. The Staking Technician will call you to set up a meeting on site. He will review the property,
draw out the plan, and pass it on to the Estimator. The Estimator will send you a written estimate for the cost of running power to the desired location. The applicant may need to come in to the office to complete the necessary paperwork. All required fees will be collected at this time.
Entire page at: http://socorroec.coopwebbuilder2.com...ess_070914.pdf

If serious, I would give them a call...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>