Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all who have read and posted. I do appreciate the exchange of ideas... helps to clear the rose colored glasses so to speak... as this is the beginning stage of the idea/thought.

I've certainly reconsidered a few things including allowing propane use and raising the rent.

General comments are surely welcomed, even if, and especially if, they are contrary, but if anyone has real world experience with any of these applications, I ask, please post them in a polite manner, detailed enough so everyone, not just me, can learn and apply from your knowledge.

Such as...

1) What kind of RV/trailer do you have?
Doesn't have to be crazy detailed, but is it 4 seasons/year/manufacturer.
2) How much electricity/month or year?
I'm interested in KWh, but if you would be willing to also list a dollar amount that would help to compare to the cost of the solar array. I feel PNM rates are high compared to others, but please help me to learn.
3) How much propane/month and year?
4) How much water do you use/month and year?
Especially if you use a water haul and tank.
Burying seems the best way to keep from freezing. What is your experience?
5) How does the weather in your location compare to the Madrid, NM area?
6) How do you mitigate/reduce the heat and cold?
Roof/shelter... straw bales...
7) Any experience with heated, composting toilets?
Power use... smell/disposal issues...
8) Any experience with a walipini greenhouse?
9) Do you use a back-up generator? Type/how often?
10) Anyone have knowledge/experience with the zoning restrictions in this Madrid area?

I certainly understand the ROI (return on investment) concerns... My intent is not to make this a money making venture, but to provide a very low cost retirement option where I can use my knowledge and skills to create a small interactive year-round retirement community.
Goal: Help others, stay busy doing things I know and enjoy while being away from it all, yet not be lonely and bored.
My plans for retirement already include the 20-60 acres and off-grid lifestyle in the Madrid area.

So the largest added upfront expense would be the solar array. - this could be a show stopper -
Other added expenses.. RV site prep, roads, water tanks...
The largest continuous expense I'd expect would be self-employment income taxes.
Other operational expenses... solar array repair, roads, fences...
(Ni-Fe batteries expected to have a 25-30 yr lifespan so not expecting battery replacement in my lifetime)

Anyone have self-employment business experience to share?

As such, looking for an ROI of 10 years.
Remember, I'll be retired and living there on my own retirement income too.
Keeping expenses low is very important, especially property taxes.

Since the solar will need southern exposure, property with a south facing hill would be best.
The RV sites would be nearby, likely located just downhill.
They would not be located all about the property, but also not jammed against each other as at a typical RV park.
Think 1/2 - 1 acre separated.
Depends on how far from the solar array they can reasonably go and the topography.

I hope this answers a few questions, but I'm certain it's created a number of new ones.

Again, please comment, especially if you have knowledge and experience to share.

Thank you to all who read and post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 AM

250 posts, read 530,480 times
First blush says "Make a few phone calls to see what zoning is like where you plan to do this." The zoning codes are VERY tricky and very specific, many reading something close to "You can't buy land to live in YOUR single RV, but you CAN buy land and develop it to be an RV park." You are looking to do the latter.

And if you were to do this, I would be a candidate to live there 7 months every year. I have not started my RV adventure yet but I hope to do that next year in late spring. It is time to escape this Lake Erie winter life, and since I can't afford to do both own my house AND travel in the RV, I have to pick one or the other. To that end, a house on wheels where I can pick a new location whenever I choose sounds good. Thus, I bought the RV last year and plan to get out into it soon. I would love to do it by the upcoming winter but my house is not ready for sale, and budgets are a consideration to get the bathroom renovation done (slowly).

Soon though.

Ideally I would like to buy land in an unincorporated area that I can live in my RV for a month or so when I choose to come off the road. And then when I am too old to travel anymore.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:41 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,310,718 times
I've stayed a winter in a newer well insulated "4 season" 5th wheel at approx 5100 feet elevation. It was still very cold, and I burned plenty of propane to keep the trailer warm, an electric heater isn't going to cut it. I'd have to go into town all the time to fill up my two big propane tanks in winter. Outside water connections would freeze. Heat tape and insulation was required and it would still freeze at times. People are going to be using lots more water than you could possibly imagine, and people are going to want to use their rigs indoor bathroom, not a composting toilet. Composting toilets only work OK for occasional small use IME.

How does yearly rent work with tenant/landlord laws and such? A year is a very long time to deal with someone on your property.

One thing I learned is that most RVers hate the cold and would much rather go lower in elevation to a much warmer climate than deal with the cold. It's easier on the rig, the wallet, and the body. It's going to be pretty cold at 6,000 feet. Only the most hardcore RV'ers will be hanging out year round at that elevation.

I'd put up one or maybe two scenic and private RV sites with a nice view and charge more money by the night, week and possibly monthly rate for the longest term. At least to start with which will keep costs way down. Maybe a little airbnb guest house on the property as well for extra income. If people come way out of town to an off grid property, they are going to want it very private, otherwise they'd stay in town. Not everyone will be willing to drive their $100k+ class A down a long dirt road either.

Good luck with your adventures.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,094 times
In my opinion, it is a very clever idea for retirement. As things get normal after this pandemic , people will be more interested into going out and spending some outdoor time with their loved ones so there will be huge demand of parking spots or parks for the campers. This business has huge chances of success so go for it. Good luck for your new venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico