Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 04:56 PM

25 posts, read 39,517 times

Advertisements

I've been eyeballing NM 169 north out of Magdalena, which appears to turn in to Indian Road 54. It eventually reaches Interstate 40 at exit 126.

Last time in Magdalena, I asked about the road. No one seemed sure, but the consensus was that it was a rough unmaintained road at some point.

I'd like to drive that route once instead of slogging my way up I 25. But don't want to beat up my car on an unmaintained road.

Looking for any info on this road. Thanks in advance for any tips you may be able to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Road 54 / NM 169-snip.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 05:21 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
I've not driven it, but my NM Atlas and Cazetteer tells me that 169 looks OK to Alamo, likely paved 2 lane. BIA road 54 is not paved to Correo. Most of it looks to be graded, but condition will depend on weather (it just shows as a dirt road in the Benchmark map book). There is a very thin red line just north of the Alamo rez, for 7-8 miles. That is generally a sign of an unpaved and unmaintained road. I expect that could be a tough go, especially if wet. Another state map doesn't even show a road over that stretch. I wouldn't drive either without a higher clearance 4x4.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 39,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I've not driven it, but my NM Atlas and Cazetteer tells me that 169 looks OK to Alamo, likely paved 2 lane. BIA road 54 is not paved to Correo. Most of it looks to be graded, but condition will depend on weather (it just shows as a dirt road in the Benchmark map book). There is a very thin red line just north of the Alamo rez, for 7-8 miles. That is generally a sign of an unpaved and unmaintained road. I expect that could be a tough go, especially if wet. Another state map doesn't even show a road over that stretch. I wouldn't drive either without a higher clearance 4x4.
Good morning,

Thank you for your reply. Your observations are similar to mine from mapping sources. I've gone so far as to try and follow the route on Google Maps, but there isn't enough resolution to determine the road surface type in areas.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Grimmwit

Old 09-18-2023, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,078 times
I just traveled this road from Magdalena to interstate 40. It's beautiful. Very very very desolate. Make sure you have 4x4 and plenty of gas. There is mostly no cell coverage. The northern section of the road is completely dirt. Not a big deal if you have the right vehicle. Could be a disaster if it was raining or wet. For most of the journey, we were the only vehicle.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:39 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmwit View Post
I've been eyeballing NM 169 north out of Magdalena, which appears to turn in to Indian Road 54. It eventually reaches Interstate 40 at exit 126.

Last time in Magdalena, I asked about the road. No one seemed sure, but the consensus was that it was a rough unmaintained road at some point.

I'd like to drive that route once instead of slogging my way up I 25. But don't want to beat up my car on an unmaintained road.

Looking for any info on this road. Thanks in advance for any tips you may be able to share.
I suggest you stay off that road unless you have business in the Laguna Pueblo. It takes you into the reservation and will not be a good shortcut. It is not maintained because the pueblo does not want it being used by non pueblo people.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
I was there a few weeks ago, and Google Maps actually wanted to direct me that way from the north end, driving south toward Magdalena. I was in a vehicle that was in no way adequate for the unpaved condition of the north end of the road. (We turned around, of course.) I submitted a correction to Google, but they haven't fixed it yet. Here's an example route. Pretty dangerous to be directing regular traffic that way: https://maps.app.goo.gl/unNhFwJ4LL6WuA978

Old 12-09-2023, 09:48 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03 View Post
I was there a few weeks ago, and Google Maps actually wanted to direct me that way from the north end, driving south toward Magdalena. I was in a vehicle that was in no way adequate for the unpaved condition of the north end of the road. (We turned around, of course.) I submitted a correction to Google, but they haven't fixed it yet. Here's an example route. Pretty dangerous to be directing regular traffic that way: https://maps.app.goo.gl/unNhFwJ4LL6WuA978
And, if you go to the end of the Street View, and zoom in, you'll see a sign from Laguna Pueblo. I couldn't zoom in enough to read what was written on that sign, but I can assure you the Google employee did, and halted filming, then turned around.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:49 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
If you're in a regular 4-door sedan on that road, forget it. I tried it for a mile or two and gave up, and I never give up on roads like that, but I did on that day.
However, the stretch from Magdalena to Alamo is paved and beautiful.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
However, the stretch from Magdalena to Alamo is paved and beautiful.
Yep, I also pulled up that southern stretch on Street View when reporting the northern part to Google Maps. The point where it finally turns into an unpaved road, which is the sort of thing that @mike0421 was pointing out, it *is* marked sufficiently, with lines painted on the road and a "Pavement Ends" sign after that: https://maps.app.goo.gl/jRFKuj7ATgjvUwtd9

You'd hope that Google Maps would at least have their drivers report back on such stretches of road that turn into unpaved areas, removing those from regular routes... but the left hand doesn't always talk to the right hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico