Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

I am going by metro/surrounding areas, so for example, my inclusion of Albuquerque would imply that Rio Rancho, Corrales, East Mountains, etc. are part of the paradigm that makes the place a top or bottom place in the state

Top (in no particular order):

Albuquerque - Simply has to be on this list because it has the most amenities. Entertainment, higher education, the highest paying jobs in the state, a plethora of just-getting-by jobs, every type of residential architecture, restaurants, bars, etc. It is simply the most broadly cosmopolitan city the state has to offer.

If you include the whole metro area you can have anything from an urban loft lifestyle, to all-American suburbia, to a rural village horse property, to a home on a windswept hill dotted with junipers.

Santa Fe - The best high art and culture in the state in a compact area. Although not as well rounded as Albuquerque, Santa Fe has the superlatives in a lot of areas from dining to art to music. Additionally, the historic architecture, the higher elevation, and the fact that you can find quaintness right in the center of the capital city is a rare combination that makes Santa Fe's appeal obvious.

On the downside, tourist season and tourism in general have gutted the authenticity of the area around the plaza. It is really a bit of a northern New Mexico Disneyland for rich out-of-staters. Nonetheless, great museums, architecture, and restaurants make up for it and make it worth visiting even for locals.

Taos - Although Taos has the same focus on tourism as Santa Fe, it is more geared towards outdoor enthusiasts. And since it is much smaller, apart from the ridiculous traffic on Paseo (Rt. 68), it seems more manageable.

In addition to its real northern New Mexico architecture, climate, and charm, its proximity to world class skiing, whitewater in the gorge, mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, mountaineering, and other mountain pursuits make it a very desirable town. Plus it is a hop, skip, and a jump to Colorado.

Bottom (in no particular order, and I don't want to say these are abjectly horrible places, just that they hold the least appeal to me):

Hobbs - Situated in one of the most topologically boring places in the state, polluting industry, big enough to have "city problems", people get excited about going to Lubbock, TX!, not much to do. Hot.

Roswell - Much of what applies to Hobbs also applies to Roswell. Except it is hotter and surrounded by feed lots. Plus they are still trying to capitalize on the alien thing which I consider to be a bit sad. I have only been through Roswell a couple of times, but I find it depressing.

Española - I debated as to whether to put Española on this list. It is a fully functioning larger town/small city in a reasonable proximity to Santa Fe and the mountains, but it has a bit of a crime problem, a locals only mentality, it is hotter than the surrounding towns and cities, and looks a bit run down. Sometimes more than a bit run down.

I spent a lot of time there when I was in a relationship with a woman who was born and raised there, and there are nice houses and neighborhoods, both humble and more expansive, but overall, being in Española itself is not especially inspiring in my opinion. There is a lot of Hispanic chauvinism (though that is not unique to Española).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM

79 posts, read 125,952 times
Fantastic stuff, love the details, really interesting!! Laughed at a few of your observations.

I'm going to agree on Roswell, almost sad they are still doing the UFO schtick

Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Here are my top 3
1. Las Cruces-I like it because its in southern New Mexico and has I-10 and I-25.One of my favorite climates in the state of New Mexico

2.Albuquerque-I like it because it has the most attractions.Its climate is decent too.

3. its a toss-up between Roswell and Ruidoso-I love the alien and UFO stuff.I also like that it has Starbucks.I also like that its in Little Texas and reminds me of where i live.It has enough stuff for me. I have just always loved Ruidoso.Its prolly too cold for me to live in full-time though.

Last edited by C24L; 10-22-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 10:22 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Here are my Top 3:

1. Las Cruces-I like it because its in southern New Mexico and has I-10 and I-25.One of my favorite climates in the state of New Mexico

2.Albuquerque-I like it because it has the most attractions.Its climate is decent too.

3. its a toss-up between Roswell and Ruidoso-I love the alien and UFO stuff.I also like that it has Starbucks.I also like that its in Little Texas and reminds me of where i live.It has enough stuff for me. I have just always loved Ruidoso.Its prolly too cold for me to live in full-time though.

Here are my top 3 -

1) Alamogordo - I love it because my wife and I live here and we love the town. It's safe as all get out. It's got 2 Wal*marts and one Albertson's and one Lowe's Supermarket. A beautiful movie theater in the Aviator Theater over on the Highway 54 bypass. It's got a brand new bowling alley that is eventually opening up. It had a standalone Starbuck's that didn't pass city code and never opened. Starbuck's is now inside the Albertson's store. We also have a Burke's Outlet with good deals, it's got a good JC Penney store, a new Hobby Lobby, a fairgrounds right in town, a Toyota dealer, GM dealer, a good hospital and Sleep Lab in Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center and a new Ross Store is coming to town.

From our backyard we see a beautiful chunk of the Sacramento Mts., which is the southern flank of the Rocky Mts. Gorgeous - there's a wonderful hiking spot on Scenic Drive on the east of town that displays a beautiful chunk of the Sacramento Mountains right in front of you. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live.

2) Las Cruces - every store and restaurant (except In-n-Out Burger) is here and every store I need is located inside this city. A great Wild Wings on the south end of the Mesilla Valley Mall. Several car dealers and several good hotels. What I love best about this city are the friendly people and the outstanding view of the Organ Mts. just east of town. Oh, and the Golden Star Chinese restaurant offers value and outstanding Chinese food. Las Cruces is easily my 2nd favorite town in New Mexico.

3) Ruidoso - Ruidoso is a wonderful gem located in the Sacramento Mts. It's no wonder that Texans are found all over this horse-racing resort town. It has that "vacation" atmosphere, it's full of restaurants and "window shopping" stores selling clothing and nick nacks - touristy places abound. It's surrounded by mountain peaks, basically high hills. It's elevation is 6,920 feet. Nearby (16 miles) sits gorgeous Sierra Blanca Peak towering 11,981 feet high, that has a ski resort on it operated by the Mescalero Apache Tribe. Ruidoso also boasts Ruidoso Downs horse racing track, which hosts both Thoroughbred and Quarter horse racing, notably the All American futurity, which is the richest Quarter Horse race. There is a cool resort there called The Inn of the Mountain Gods that has an entertainment venue that the Mrs. and I saw George Thorogood and his Delaware Destroyers at once.

My Bottom 3

1) Hobbs - just yuck. I haven't really spent much time there, and there may be something appealing about this far eastern New Mexico oil town, but I really haven't found it yet.

2) Deming - Deming is a small mid-southern edge town that simply doesn't push any positive buttons. It has some quiet neighborhoods and an old downtown full of brick buildings, but it really has no character of any kind. At least that I've found yet!

3) Lovington - Lovington is another small far eastern-edge town in New Mexico. Nothing stands out as really something I'd want in a town. I once interviewed there for a job at the hospital and I wasn't impressed by the people working there or the town. Backwards is how I'd describe it. Stay in the middle parts of New Mexico - they're the best.

Those are my top 3 and bottom 3. If this list were to expand to include more of both lists, I could add 2 or 3 more to each list. Overall New Mexico is not only a good place to live, it's a great place to live. I am so glad I found it.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
My favorites:
Santa Fe
Taos
Los Alamos
Ruidoso
Silver City
Albuquerque and East Mountains

Least favorites:
SE corner (Hobbs, etc.)
SW corner (Lordsburg, etc.)
Espanola - scary place
Las Vegas - scary place
Alamogordo - what is the attraction except proximity to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso?

I have family in Las Cruces and want to like it but it is just too hot. And I don't see that there is much to do there despite it being a large town/small city with university. And it is so far from any place that I want to travel to such as Ruidoso or Silver City.

Of course there are other little gems like Chama, Jemez Springs, Reserve, Glenwood, etc. but these are too small to be livable for this city girl.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampyNeedsMountains View Post
I'm going to agree on Roswell, almost sad they are still doing the UFO schtick
A couple of weeks ago when I was in Las Vegas the entire Plaza area was shut down because they were filming scenes for an apparent remake of the movie......Roswell. I'm not sure what makes Las Vegas more Roswell-like than Roswell....there were no aliens in sight there!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
A couple of weeks ago when I was in Las Vegas the entire Plaza area was shut down because they were filming scenes for an apparent remake of the movie......Roswell. I'm not sure what makes Las Vegas more Roswell-like than Roswell....there were no aliens in sight there!
I am assuming you are talking about the TV series "Roswell, New Mexico" filming is being shot at various places to include in the Albuquerque area...

More Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswel...co_(TV_series)

Old 10-26-2018, 08:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am assuming you are talking about the TV series "Roswell, New Mexico" filming is being shot at various places to include in the Albuquerque area...

More Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswel...co_(TV_series)
That's probably it. The gal at the bookstore there told us they were filming "Roswell" and I assumed it was a remake of the movie.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM

356 posts, read 503,296 times
In defense of Alamo, while the Highway 54/70 White Sands strip and the western half of town have little to offer the passer-through anything much more than fast food and run-down neighborhoods, the marble and limestone canyons and trails on the eastern edge from NMSU-A and the space museum on south are unmatched in beauty or bouldering opportunities. El Paso is 90 minutes south, Las Cruces 70 minutes southeast, White Sands 25 minutes west, Three Rivers Petroglyphs 35 minutes north, Ruidoso about an hour northeast and Cloudcroft is 25 minutes due east. I get to volunteer three days a week at Oliver Lee State Park at the mouth of Dog Canyon in the Sacramento escarpment, out of which history simply oozes. So Alamo and its nearly endless sunshine work for me -- and it is wonderfully affordable. Many of my neighbors are retired military, good folks. If you crave an urban experience, this town isn't for you. If you are looking for balance and livability, however, look closer.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:08 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
In defense of Alamo, while the Highway 54/70 White Sands strip and the western half of town have little to offer the passer-through anything much more than fast food and run-down neighborhoods, the marble and limestone canyons and trails on the eastern edge from NMSU-A and the space museum on south are unmatched in beauty or bouldering opportunities. El Paso is 90 minutes south, Las Cruces 70 minutes southeast, White Sands 25 minutes west, Three Rivers Petroglyphs 35 minutes north, Ruidoso about an hour northeast and Cloudcroft is 25 minutes due east. I get to volunteer three days a week at Oliver Lee State Park at the mouth of Dog Canyon in the Sacramento escarpment, out of which history simply oozes. So Alamo and its nearly endless sunshine work for me -- and it is wonderfully affordable. Many of my neighbors are retired military, good folks. If you crave an urban experience, this town isn't for you. If you are looking for balance and livability, however, look closer.

That's what I'm talkin' about. A friend at work explained Alamogordo to me this way: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Meaning, many, many people have left Alamogordo but many, many of them return there to live. I totally understand it. The place grows on you. I feel totally blessed to live here. I'll buy my cars out of town, though, and bring them back here.

If you want to buy a car I spose Alamogordo will work, but, really El Paso has better deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico