Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM

19 posts, read 26,848 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So I've spent a few months researching the Southwestern States in an effort to make up my mind about which state to move to. It's been challenging, but lots of fun. I live in New York City now but want to be in a place as far away from that lifestyle as possible. REALLY far. Like I even looked into off-gridding! That desperate.

Anyway, so like many of you I'm looking for the slower pace, 0 rat race, cleaner air, quiet neib, cheaper rent, small town, wave hi to my neighbor, casserole at my door step, holiday spirited town, mild weather, and such. As a matter of fact if I can find a little cabin in the middle of the woods, away from humanity that'll be great! (Just kidding about that last one). But I've settled for the beautiful Rio Rancho; but I need more convincing and some reassurance.

I've heard that it wouldn't be wise to move during the summer months because of the heat; but guess what: That's when the kids get off school!.. and I got two of those little things. So what are your suggestions? I was aiming to move for June but it may be sooner? like: February. Is that TOO soon?

How hard would it be to find a place to live in? The ideal thing would be a small house.
How are the jobs out there? I got a bit of a college degree. Does anyone here work for or know anyone who works for the City? How is it?

My 10 year old son, now a 5th grader, would need a special education program. Any reputable options??

So much to say and so little time! Gotta get back to work now.. can't wait to see the comments!

Thanks!

~Lil's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 02:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,397,634 times
In a sense, moving to Rio Rancho is like moving to a drier version of Long Island. With less traffic, though.

Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing for you. But if you are looking for something other than dense suburbia, Rio Rancho isn't it.

There are a lot of options in the Albuquerque area from semi-urban to suburban to exurban (East mountains) to rural (North and South Valley), all within 30-45 minutes and often much less of any job in the Albuquerque area.

You might look into an area near Albuquerque called the East Mountains which consists of several smaller bedroom communities with a bit more space, more nature, and still close to the jobs and better school districts in Albuquerque.

As far as the heat, It is not too bad, not like Phoenix, and the East Mountains area is often about the same or sometimes even milder than NYC.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:26 PM

887 posts, read 1,217,883 times
I know this is a silly question and may not even have a bearing on your decision but have you even been to NM? Twelve years ago my daughter moved there sight unseen. She's happy and I'm glad she did or I may have gone through life thinking it a flat desert with cactus. Saguaros!

Some people say that it's either going to be in your blood or it isn't and you will know it very soon. It's in mine 24/7/365 but I have been often, seen almost all west of the Sandias and hiked tons. Just thinking that if you have not visited you may want to several times and seasons......

Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
We don't have Saguaros cactus in New Mexico except in a special climate room at the Bio Park. In the U.S., they only grow in Arizona...

The heat is not that bad in the Summer in this area...

Take a couple of days to actually explore some areas, driving east in I-40 and looking left is not exploring, driving down Rio Rancho on Highway 528 during rush hour might be ok, but you wont see much.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:09 PM

887 posts, read 1,217,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We don't have Saguaros cactus in New Mexico except in a special climate room at the Bio Park. In the U.S., they only grow in Arizona...

The heat is not that bad in the Summer in this area...

Take a couple of days to actually explore some areas, driving east in I-40 and looking left is not exploring, driving down Rio Rancho on Highway 528 during rush hour might be ok, but you wont see much.

On saguaros, yes I know. It was meant to show how ignorant I was of the state in general before I first visited.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
On saguaros, yes I know. It was meant to show how ignorant I was of the state in general before I first visited.
And if you encounter a Bear, remember it might be "Smokey Bear" not "smokey the bear"...

IMG_3052 by Ricardo, on Flickr

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-07-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will definitely look into those areas. I haven't visited NM just yet but plan to in January or February. I can't wait!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,944,579 times
Lily, I'm a little concerned about the ambiguity of your job situation. Are you planning on moving here without a job lined up in advance? I wouldn't recommend it. I did it and lived to tell the tale, without ever ending up in a homeless shelter, but I have no dependents and an "advanced" degree--it's really not very advanced! but it is an MA. I had enough money set aside that I could survive being unemployed for over a year after moving here; and that money was not far from running out when I finally found a position.

As for city jobs, I wouldn't count on easily picking up a city job as an outsider, unless you have some very specialized, high-demand skills. I don't know anything about city hiring first hand, but this is my impression after having lived here for a few years.

This is good to check out for news about local business and the local economy generally: Albuquerque Business News - Albuquerque Business First

Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Yes ApartmentNomad,

The ideal thing would be to secure employment prior to relocating. And so I am in contact with various agencies including local law enforcement which is what my background is in. There are also different sources of funding that I can rely on, including a settlement, but I "want" to work. I wanted to also know if people who work for the city out there were happy with what they have to offer as far as benefits and such.

Thank you for the helpful information, I will further look into Querconomy.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And if you encounter a Bear, remember it might be "Smokey Bear" not "smokey the bear"...

IMG_3052 by Ricardo, on Flickr
Updated

IMG_3052 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico