Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 PM

25 posts, read 39,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
I suggest avoiding Abq (Los Lunas, Rio Rancho, etc). It's full of crime (ie: stolen cars, home invasions, gangs, etc). What do you plan on doing in IT? An entry level IT technician job will pay around $30K - $40K. Regardless of where you land, get yourself ITIL certified; it's in the best interest of your career. If you're an experienced IT project manager with PMP certification, according to recent demand, you can comfortably ask for $90K. I know the demand is high because I've had numerous IT headhunters contact me on LinkedIn regarding IT project manager positions in the Abq area. In Abq, the big IT employers are the University of New Mexico and Presbyterian Health. If New Mexico is your thing, I suggest Santa Fe. The State of New Mexico normally has vacant IT positions.

Colorado Springs and Denver might be better places to consider. Intel offers jobs in Colorado Springs and Oregon. If Phoenix is your thing, a number of companies call Phoenix home: Petsmart, GoDaddy, Insight, etc. I think ChoiceHotels, CVS, General Dynamics, and Motorola have IT centers in Phoenix as well. Overall, Phoenix and Denver have the most opportunities for IT job seekers. If you're open to the west coast, San Diego is great also (Qualcomm, etc).
I can't let this one pass.... There is no question that parts of ABQ have crime issues. But the same applies to portions of virtually every city of any size.

We moved to Rio Rancho from NH in March. The reputation of ABQ for crime was trotted out often in our research. Ultimately, we decided it's like any city of size - stay away from the bad areas, and you'll probably be OK. So far so good.

I appreciate the info on the IT market. I moved here and maintained my NH job and work from home. Hoping it will hold out, but always watching the local scene in case a change has to be made.

Grimmwit --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,499,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmwit View Post
I can't let this one pass.... There is no question that parts of ABQ have crime issues. But the same applies to portions of virtually every city of any size.

We moved to Rio Rancho from NH in March. The reputation of ABQ for crime was trotted out often in our research. Ultimately, we decided it's like any city of size - stay away from the bad areas, and you'll probably be OK. So far so good.

I appreciate the info on the IT market. I moved here and maintained my NH job and work from home. Hoping it will hold out, but always watching the local scene in case a change has to be made.

Grimmwit --
Are you an IT person? What's your job, since you work from home?

Old 04-09-2019, 05:12 PM

25 posts, read 39,710 times
Default Tardy reply....

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Are you an IT person? What's your job, since you work from home?
Haven't been on this site for awhile, just saw this post. My current job is as an IT Systems Architect. Presently working on integration projects for the company I work for which was acquired a couple years back.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:37 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,409,722 times
Quote:
My brother is obviously a New Jersey fan and will never leave NJ. He thinks I am crazy for choosing NM over other western states. He is shocked that I didn't think of the Phoenix area and I told him that Phoenix is too hot and that AZ would not have jobs above the Phoenix area.

He told me that ABQ won't have "amenities" like what we have NJ due to NM's lack of rich people that pay taxes for the amenities (such as NJ's carnivals, outdoor concerts to local NJ parks, etc). He told me a small metro area would be boring, no jobs, and would have entirely just chain places. I told him how I always love the desert and he saying, "What is there to do in the desert, there are no forests for you to go hiking in! NM gets above 100 degrees every day." His stereotypes are all stupid and untrue, but I do get the part about jobs. ABQ is a smaller metro area, so obviously there are lot less jobs and jobs pay less than what you would find a larger metro area, but just like anywhere, jobs and COL are balanced (meaning that more expensive places pay better). My brother doesn't even believe that NM gets nippy in the winter and he doesn't realize that their summers are not hot like Phoenix.

I am also not expecting NM to be anything like NJ. I am not expecting NM to have lots of amenities like NJ has, but NM is very outdoorsy oriented, which is fine for me. What I am expecting from NM is to have IT jobs that pay at least 50K, endless outdoor activities with NM's beautiful scenery and NM's beautiful climate, good social life in the ABQ area.
well he is wrong about New Mexico winters.It can get cold in America's Land of Enchantment in the winter months.New Mexico does not have triple digit days every day so he is wrong about that too.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:32 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
My brother is obviously a New Jersey fan and will never leave NJ. He thinks I am crazy for choosing NM over other western states. He is shocked that I didn't think of the Phoenix area and I told him that Phoenix is too hot and that AZ would not have jobs above the Phoenix area.

He told me that ABQ won't have "amenities" like what we have NJ due to NM's lack of rich people that pay taxes for the amenities (such as NJ's carnivals, outdoor concerts to local NJ parks, etc). He told me a small metro area would be boring, no jobs, and would have entirely just chain places. I told him how I always love the desert and he saying, "What is there to do in the desert, there are no forests for you to go hiking in! NM gets above 100 degrees every day." His stereotypes are all stupid and untrue, but I do get the part about jobs. ABQ is a smaller metro area, so obviously there are lot less jobs and jobs pay less than what you would find a larger metro area, but just like anywhere, jobs and COL are balanced (meaning that more expensive places pay better). My brother doesn't even believe that NM gets nippy in the winter and he doesn't realize that their summers are not hot like Phoenix.

I am also not expecting NM to be anything like NJ. I am not expecting NM to have lots of amenities like NJ has, but NM is very outdoorsy oriented, which is fine for me. What I am expecting from NM is to have IT jobs that pay at least 50K, endless outdoor activities with NM's beautiful scenery and NM's beautiful climate, good social life in the ABQ area.
I just saw the bolded part. There are plenty of rich people in NM. Your brother is ignorant about this state. There are carnivals every year, many outdoor concerts and other outdoor events: a balloon festival, many art fairs, all kinds of concerts, theater, etc. It's like a normal city.

But the OP has already decided against NM. He thinks it's a state of old fuddy-duddies, and doesn't have any young people, hardly.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,933,779 times
Now I am not a NM fan but, there are a lot of great things here. Imho, it has a perfect climate, not too hot in summer, camping mts, hiking etc. Winter is not too cold, plus skiing. I think its a great climate for those who want mild winter and summers. Much of it is beautiful.

If they could get more serious about the crime problems and taxes, it would become a lot more popular with retirees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico