Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,497,906 times

Advertisements

From driving timelapse videos I have seen, it seems like NM's scenery looks slightly bland, but it seems like you cannot be on a highway in order to access the beautiful scenery. I saw this video today and I didn't know NM can be this beautiful, but the camera quality in the video is bad making things look a bit drab and the angle of the sunshine is making things in the camera look black. If it was good camera quality, I know that the scenery in that video would definitely be gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X_...QMtwH&index=19

AZ still wins over NM's scenery in my opinion, because AZ has more colorful desert terrain and a higher quantity of exotic desert plants, while NM lacks color, the scenery is a little flatter than AZ, and there seems to be a lower quantity of exotic desert plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
From driving timelapse videos I have seen, it seems like NM's scenery looks slightly bland, but it seems like you cannot be on a highway in order to access the beautiful scenery. I saw this video today and I didn't know NM can be this beautiful, but the camera quality in the video is bad making things look a bit drab and the angle of the sunshine is making things in the camera look black. If it was good camera quality, I know that the scenery in that video would definitely be gorgeous.

AZ still wins over NM's scenery in my opinion, because AZ has more colorful desert terrain and a higher quantity of exotic desert plants, while NM lacks color, the scenery is a little flatter than AZ, and there seems to be a lower quantity of exotic desert plants.
Yes Arizona and New Mexico has beautiful scenery. Many living there do not always have the opportunity to visit all the beauty there. We have lived in both states. We also visited nearby Utah and Colorado which also have some beautiful areas.

In the U.S. I have also lived in AL, FL, GA, MA, MD, NY, PA, SC, and TX. They all had some features I liked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyv17BmmXQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHxPqCqcGVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJZizJ3UV4

Etc, etc, etc...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-29-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 03:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,401,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X_...QMtwH&index=19

ya i have always thought New Mexico was a scenic state....glad you find it scenic too.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
I've lived in both states and agree that Arizona is a prettier state overall. Think Sedona, The Grand Canyon, etc. But New Mexico is also pretty and I'm feeling pretty fortunate to have found New Mexico. I was born in Seattle, raised in Edmonds (15 miles north of Seattle), but I love New Mexico way more than Washington.

Don't get me wrong, Washington state is beautiful, too, it's right up there bordering Canada, and it has some of the most beautiful mountain, river and stream scenery I've ever seen. But New Mexico just plain rocks. I live in Alamogordo, and this place is like a more modern Mayberry, RFD. There is crime but it's population is only 35,000 people. It's big enough ta offer enough restaurants and stores and employment, but small enough to get away from the hustle and bustle pretty easily.

The biggest traffic nightmare here is waiting at 10th and White Sands Blvd. for 2 minutes with a total of 16 cars at the two traffic lights that are stuck with a red light. That's it. Big deal. I am so glad I found this place!

Old 02-02-2020, 01:24 PM

16,111 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Arizona is very scenic in the few places that are found nowhere else. I enjoy the Grand Canyon in winter. As a photographer, I have found just about everything I need in New Mexico. One issue in NM is accessibility. There's no interstate or even a paved road taking you to some of the most beautiful places on the planet. You have to work for it. Most people are looking for a short cut and there isn't one. You won't find a youtube video - that's a good thing in my opinion. The lack of crowds, parking lots, porta-potties, and tour buses is one of the best features of the scenery.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:09 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,964,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Arizona is very scenic in the few places that are found nowhere else. I enjoy the Grand Canyon in winter. As a photographer, I have found just about everything I need in New Mexico. One issue in NM is accessibility. There's no interstate or even a paved road taking you to some of the most beautiful places on the planet. You have to work for it. Most people are looking for a short cut and there isn't one. You won't find a youtube video - that's a good thing in my opinion. The lack of crowds, parking lots, porta-potties, and tour buses is one of the best features of the scenery.
I agree. NM rarely has the big ticket attractions of AZ like Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc. But its scenery can be magnificent. You just have to drive around somewhat and find it. Not readily accessible, but it is a beautiful state. You can drive around AZ also and see dull, even ugly landscapes. East on I40 from Flagstaff; west on I10 from Phoenix to CA; and west on I8 from Casa Grande to Yuma.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM

5,768 posts, read 11,390,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I agree. NM rarely has the big ticket attractions of AZ like Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc. But its scenery can be magnificent. You just have to drive around somewhat and find it. Not readily accessible, but it is a beautiful state. You can drive around AZ also and see dull, even ugly landscapes. East on I40 from Flagstaff; west on I10 from Phoenix to CA; and west on I8 from Casa Grande to Yuma.
I enjoy the scenery in both AZ & NM. NM will definitely be less crowded than the popular, famous scenic areas of AZ because of AZ's proximity to the Southern Cal, Phoenix and Las Vegas metro areas. Want to visit Sedona, Prescott, Jerome, White Mtns or Grand Canyon on a nice weekend? No thanks. But there are plenty of other less crowded and less famous scenic places, especially heading to southeast AZ near the NM border.

I also enjoy NM, but need to explore more and spend more time there. I have covered the major attractions but would like to see more out of the way places, especially northern NM.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,969 times
These are nice scenic videos of NM.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,352 times
I am going to visit New Mexico, probably CloudCroft, but people do not like giving out information on here when I ask about the town they live in, like it's a big secret or something so I will just go see for myself and speak with the locals there. The whole reason of me being on here is to get info!

Old 02-24-2020, 10:33 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryNitght2020 View Post
I am going to visit New Mexico, probably CloudCroft, but people do not like giving out information on here when I ask about the town they live in, like it's a big secret or something so I will just go see for myself and speak with the locals there. The whole reason of me being on here is to get info!
Odd... where did you get this impression? I think people on here are more than happy to talk about their town! However, Cloudcroft is tiny and there may not be any people from Cloudcroft posting at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico