Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:56 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
it depends on where you are. If someone attempts to cross around Big Bend, it would be extremely difficult. Same with Falcon Lake. Fort Hancock, not as much: https://goo.gl/maps/gW7uobZ2BDz
I'm not sure how's that's responding to me? A wall without agents (which there are beau coup in El Paso) is worthless and if we have agents we don't need the wall in areas where traffic isn't heavy.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the Union right down there with Mississippi

The leftward tilt of NM is very disappointing with not bring new tax revenues to this desperately poor state
The previous gov. was Republican, and she shut down one source of jobs in the state: the film industry. It didn't work out, and she reluctantly reversed herself. Promoting NM's potential as a location for filming was Gov. Bill Richardson's idea.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
For a professional Russian troll his English is quite passable.
He's getting paid to argue the point he was given. Just ignore him.
He said he was a Latino... https://www.city-data.com/forum/677748-post37.html

Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Not doubting the original accountholder was, but city-data lets you use some pretty weak passwords.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 PM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Latinos are perfectly capable of being Trumpers, there are lots of them in El Paso as a matter of fact.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
Latinos are perfectly capable of being Trumpers, there are lots of them in El Paso as a matter of fact.
I know many in Las Cruces as well. In fact, he captured a higher percentage of the Latino vote in Dona Ana County in 2016 than Mitt Romney did in 2012.

I think regardless of your ethnicity or your politics, and lot of folks who live close to the border are fed up and desire increased fortification. As usual, there is an opposing group that desires open borders, and I have no earthly idea why there are those who think that is okay.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
I know many in Las Cruces as well. In fact, he captured a higher percentage of the Latino vote in Dona Ana County in 2016 than Mitt Romney did in 2012.

I think regardless of your ethnicity or your politics, and lot of folks who live close to the border are fed up and desire increased fortification. As usual, there is an opposing group that desires open borders, and I have no earthly idea why there are those who think that is okay.
No one I know, including dozens of people from both sides here in Cruces, wants open borders. That's a tired right wing trope. There might be some morons from non-border states that don't understand the catastrophe that would be, but there are a lot more morons on the right who think a 2000 mile long wall is a good investment.

You should know how ridiculous a wall would be between Columbus and Yuma. There aren't even roads on the Mexican side for people to get there for most of that 1000 miles. Other than groups of a dozen or so walking (and risking death) through the desert no one is out there 90+% percent of the time. They'd scale any wall lickety split if it weren't manned and if the agents are there to man it we don't need the wall. They should be spotted long before they reach the border and someone should be waiting for them.

Walls in urban areas and mobile agents/tech in the boonies.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No one I know, including dozens of people from both sides here in Cruces, wants open borders. That's a tired right wing trope. There might be some morons from non-border states that don't understand the catastrophe that would be, but there are a lot more morons on the right who think a 2000 mile long wall is a good investment.

You should know how ridiculous a wall would be between Columbus and Yuma. There aren't even roads on the Mexican side for people to get there for most of that 1000 miles. Other than groups of a dozen or so walking (and risking death) through the desert no one is out there 90+% percent of the time. They'd scale any wall lickety split if it weren't manned and if the agents are there to man it we don't need the wall. They should be spotted long before they reach the border and someone should be waiting for them.

Walls in urban areas and mobile agents/tech in the boonies.
Mexico Federal Highway 2 runs from Matamoros (Brownsville) to Tijuana (San Ysidro). It is paved all the way through and runs parallel to the US border. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Federal_Highway_2

Here is Route 2 east of Yuma: https://goo.gl/maps/bSdzF7vkFtE2

Just over that dune is the United States.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
As usual, there is an opposing group that desires open borders, and I have no earthly idea why there are those who think that is okay.
I think you may be listening to a "news source" that is inaccurately portraying the "opposing side".

Hardly anybody wants open borders. Opposition to the "Great Wall" isn't from people who want open borders, rather it's because it will be a silly waste of $$$. Not just the initial cost, but manning and maintaining it. And it appears that most of the drugs and illegals are crossing in vehicles at the regular border crossings anyway!

Drone technology is so advanced now, they can surely use them to detect if anyone crosses on foot or in a vehicle outside the legal locations. It would be way more efficient than building a wall which will quickly be breached in hundreds of locations, making it useless.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think you may be listening to a "news source" that is inaccurately portraying the "opposing side".

Hardly anybody wants open borders. Opposition to the "Great Wall" isn't from people who want open borders, rather it's because it will be a silly waste of $$$. Not just the initial cost, but manning and maintaining it. And it appears that most of the drugs and illegals are crossing in vehicles at the regular border crossings anyway!

Drone technology is so advanced now, they can surely use them to detect if anyone crosses on foot or in a vehicle outside the legal locations. It would be way more efficient than building a wall which will quickly be breached in hundreds of locations, making it useless.
In terms of arguing against the wall for financial reasons, the proposed 5 billion dollars to complete is a rounding error compared to the 4 trillion national budget overlay. If it is a matter of cost, If you consider a 100 dollar bill as the national budget total, the equivalent of building a border wall would amount to 1.25 cents on the 100 dollar bill. It's not about economics, it's about politics.

There are 34 U.S. military bases in Germany alone, dating back to V-J Day in 1945. Wouldn't make sense to remove all if not most of those facilities, and re-deploy those troops to the Mexico border, or reallocate those resources? Times change. The greatest threat this country has right now as it pertains to safety of its citizens around the border is this invasion.

It's not a matter of sides. It's a matter of our sovereignty. Nations have a duty to protect their borders to ensure safety of those citizens who deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico