Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,294 times

Advertisements

As for Camden & Newark.

Violent Crime rates for 2017.
Camden: 1967
Newark: 896
Albuquerque: 1369

Property Crime rates for 2017.
Camden: 3399
Newark: 2395
ABQ: 7365

Homicide rates for 2017
Camden: 30.96
Newark: 27.14
ABQ: 12.47

Homicide is the one crime that is nearly always reported and the rates in Camden & Newark are 2.5 times higher than Albuquerque, and other cities in NM have lower homicide rates than Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:00 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,505,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Whatever your experience in NM, hanging out on Reddit will make you want to bash your head in. I'd avoid it.
Hopefully it's better than I think...

Old 02-25-2019, 04:13 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Hopefully it's better than I think...
A lot of any place is up to you, honestly. Come and visit and see what you think.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM

30 posts, read 56,181 times
Quote:
It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM. But it seems like most of those comments got downvoted. I've been told that every young person who lives in NM is a junkie and will commit crime. I heard that tire slashing and property damage happens in NM all the time. Inhumane crimes like that are almost non-existent in the NJ suburbia. Even in NJ's most dangerous cities like Newark or Camden, stuff like that barely happens. I heard that I would need a dog to live in NM. I heard that the whole state of NM is effed up in that way and not just ABQ. So if I want to get away from the usual danger NM offers, am I better off living in a town full of retirees where people won't commit crimes, or should I just go back to obsessing over AZ? I wonder if I can handle the Tuscon, AZ summers. I wouldn't mind Tuscon reaching 100 degrees, I just don't want to deal with Phoenix being over 110 degrees. Flagstaff, AZ winter temperatures seem too cold.

It is bad. We have lived here for five years (Denver, Dallas, Austin before here), and want to get out ASAP. Many people on this forum are from NM, so they try justify this nasty state to others. I strongly advise you, especially if you have (or plan to have) kids, to look for better opportunities elsewhere. It's the crappiest, poorest, dirtiest state for many reasons:

- Lazy as heck.
- Schools are TERRIBLE. Where does all the money go?
- Local university is lame. Industry won't move here with the poor talent that comes out of UNM.
- Very few skilled professional jobs
- Tattoos and drugs are as common as sunshine and dry air
- Lame pool of physicians. All the good physicians aren't taking new patients, or have left for Phoenix or Denver.
- Very limited pool of talent. People here just don't give a crud. Young talent is fleeing for better cities, leaving behind the tattooed, drugged up menaces.
- So much poverty. Think carjackings, auto theft, constant burglary, and violent crime.
- High taxes, getting higher.
- State hates economic growth, unless it's related to the movie industry.
- The Land of Entrapment now makes sense. Get a degree at Univ of NM and it's a joke. Nobody wants to hire you. It's a fast food economy, and that's exactly where your kids will end up.
- And here is another indicator: Most dogs in the pound are pit bulls.
- Billions in economic surplus from oil, and the state is still the poorest, least-educated in the country. Go figure.

Last edited by DukeCityDawg; 02-25-2019 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,329,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You sit around on the computer obsessing and theorizing about places you want to escape to.

There is a real world out there. You can either join it, or sit on the computer fantasizing.

I can see people visiting a place and then asking questions online about things they might not pick up on in a few days or a week visiting. But I will never, ever understand people trying to make their minds up about moving to a place without ever having visited, based on what they read on the internet.

Its frikking insane. Its like internet dating people. You learn more about someone in 10 minutes in person than you do in 10 weeks online.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,329,931 times
Quote:
It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM. But it seems like most of those comments got downvoted. .

In my opinion there are some very vocal pro-everything-New-Mexico people on city-data and they outnumber or at least outspeak the rest. Some of them are in real estate. Some of them get very testy if opinions are given that conflict with their views, are more nuanced, or god forbid, negative.

Quote:
I've been told that every young person who lives in NM is a junkie and will commit crime. I heard that tire slashing and property damage happens in NM all the time. Inhumane crimes like that are almost non-existent in the NJ suburbia. Even in NJ's most dangerous cities like Newark or Camden, stuff like that barely happens. I heard that I would need a dog to live in NM. I heard that the whole state of NM is effed up in that way and not just ABQ. So if I want to get away from the usual danger NM offers, am I better off living in a town full of retirees where people won't commit crimes, or should I just go back to obsessing over AZ? I wonder if I can handle the Tuscon, AZ summers. I wouldn't mind Tuscon reaching 100 degrees, I just don't want to deal with Phoenix being over 110 degrees. Flagstaff, AZ winter temperatures seem too cold

New Mexico is poor. When you have a lot of people with stuff coming into a place where people don't have much stuff, some of that stuff gets redistributed. My $1500 Specialized mountain bike was redistributed when I left it unlocked outside Petco in Santa Fe for 5 minutes. Its a beautiful state with warts, like many others. Climate is a terrible reason to move to New Mexico, you have to want the whole enchilada. If you don't like the warts you won't be happy with the rest.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCityDawg View Post
It is bad. We have lived here for five years (Denver, Dallas, Austin before here), and want to get out ASAP. Many people on this forum are from NM, so they try justify this nasty state to others. I strongly advise you, especially if you have (or plan to have) kids, to look for better opportunities elsewhere. It's the crappiest, poorest, dirtiest state for many reasons:

- Lazy as heck.
- Schools are TERRIBLE. Where does all the money go?
- Local university is lame. Industry won't move here with the poor talent that comes out of UNM.
- Very few skilled professional jobs
- Tattoos and drugs are as common as sunshine and dry air
- Lame pool of physicians. All the good physicians aren't taking new patients, or have left for Phoenix or Denver.
- Very limited pool of talent. People here just don't give a crud. Young talent is fleeing for better cities, leaving behind the tattooed, drugged up menaces.
- So much poverty. Think carjackings, auto theft, constant burglary, and violent crime.
- High taxes, getting higher.
- State hates economic growth, unless it's related to the movie industry.
- The Land of Entrapment now makes sense. Get a degree at Univ of NM and it's a joke. Nobody wants to hire you. It's a fast food economy, and that's exactly where your kids will end up.
- And here is another indicator: Most dogs in the pound are pit bulls.
- Billions in economic surplus from oil, and the state is still the poorest, least-educated in the country. Go figure.
Wow this is why I wrote a thread about considering the Reno area as an alternative.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
In my opinion there are some very vocal pro-everything-New-Mexico people on city-data and they outnumber or at least outspeak the rest. Some of them are in real estate. Some of them get very testy if opinions are given that conflict with their views, are more nuanced, or god forbid, negative.

New Mexico is poor. When you have a lot of people with stuff coming into a place where people don't have much stuff, some of that stuff gets redistributed. My $1500 Specialized mountain bike was redistributed when I left it unlocked outside Petco in Santa Fe for 5 minutes. Its a beautiful state with warts, like many others. Climate is a terrible reason to move to New Mexico, you have to want the whole enchilada. If you don't like the warts you won't be happy with the rest.
Yeah I heard it's too common for junkies to steal things in NM. I heard it's dangerous to even live here because the crimes are more prevalent than Newark crimes.

This is why I wrote a thread about considering the Reno area as an alternative.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 PM

138 posts, read 146,492 times
Despite all the negativity, I'm moving to NM sometime in the next year, give or take a few months. I was stationed in Alamogordo once a long time ago. I've been back to visit 4 times in the past couple of years. My wife has been there 5 (once with my son who will stay where we are now). And we're probably going to make one more trip before we move. Each time we visit, we're more determined.

Are there warts? Absolutely. Name one place on planet earth that doesn't have any.

It's a personal thing. Obviously if you plan on living someplace touristy and with large populations, you're going to be hit with some of the worst kind of warts (robbings, rapes, murders, theft, etc) moreso than areas that aren't so popular. But that also happens other places. And those are usually confined to more-populated areas.

I despise where I am. Always have. If not for some unfortunate things (and a couple of fortunate ones) a few years back, I wouldn't be here now. But this is a place certain types of people really love. I'm not one of them. Never was, never will be.

It depends on what you want and need. Only you can answer that. But to decide what you should or shouldn't do based on a few statistics or the words of people who love or hate a place is the wrong way to go about it. This isn't like moving to another country and not wanting to go to the expense just to take a look. This is something you can do in a car or on a short flight. This is something you can do on your own, take as long as you can to check things out, then either evacuate or stay.

Take a look for yourself. Stop awhile, talk to people, look around. That's the only way to know for yourself. It's OK to listen, ask and get answers from people online. But the final answer is personal, and each person has to experience things to see if something suits them or not. Barring, of course, employment requirements or some other potential limiting factor.

Last edited by phydeaux3; 02-25-2019 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Wow this is why I wrote a thread about considering the Reno area as an alternative.
Read that whole thread...

Your picking just the bad posts...

But go to Reno. Visit it in person... It has good things and bad things. Just like every place does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico