Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,530,625 times

Advertisements

Although Albuquerque does look to have an abnormally high crime rate as far as theft goes, I wouldn't fear living in this state. Yes, you could get hurt living here, like anywhere else in the world. After all, the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.

Time is just about up for anyone living now in this world. Sometime soon, very soon, our Creator is going to hit the KILL button and his immense millions of angels are going to make poop out of millions of morons on this earth.

Wanna fight me on it? Go ahead. Knock yourself silly. Those elites that are ruining this earth - can they hide? Answer: Nope, you dope. They won't be able ta hide in their stupid underground bunkers. The angels will blow those babies to smithereens just as fast as the kill shot hit Kurt Cobain and blew his head off when Courtney Love had him murdered.

New Mexico living will do you fine, phydeaux3. Just be smart, don't leave your car keys in your car with the doors unlocked. Don't go looking to buy pot, meth, oxycontin or who knows what else people are looking to get high on these days out and aboot in your New Mexico neighborhood, and breathe. Just breathe. New Mexico air, although occasionally full of the White Sands or dust, is generally pretty good.

You'll enjoy New Mexico living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,329,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Yeah I heard it's too common for junkies to steal things in NM. I heard it's dangerous to even live here because the crimes are more prevalent than Newark crimes.

This is why I wrote a thread about considering the Reno area as an alternative.

I wasn't suggesting its dangerous to live in NM or that you shouldn't live here. I'm just balancing out the rose-tinted stuff with realities, like poverty=petty crime. I don't spend a lot of time in ABQ but I've never felt unsafe anywhere else in the state.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
OP, how would you know which forum is the biased one: Reddit or C-D? Most people would know better, than to believe sweeping statements, like "all young people in ______ are junkies", etc.

I've lived in Santa Fe for over 10 years, and have never heard of tire slashing. Was SF the one you were alluding to, in your "town of retirees" comment? What kind of town are you looking for, exactly? SF has symphony, opera, a half-dozen museums or more, and lots of art venues and events, if that's what you're into. If you don't want to be around a lot of retirees ( ), you could opt for a town of scientists and engineers (Los Alamos), which is a smaller town than SF, and avoids some of the summer heat extremes because of the higher elevation. Crime is virtually unheard of there. Or you could check out Taos, another smaller-than-SF town full of art galleries, but with more water and greenery than most places in NM.

Comparing NM to Newark is laughable. I happen to know for a fact, that NM gets refugees from Newark. They're happy to find a place where they can settle down to a nice, quiet, normal life.

YMMV, I guess. Personally, I wouldn't pick ABQ, for a number of reasons, but NM can be delightful, depending on what you're looking for. Oh, and btw, what kind of work do you do? People live in ABQ because the COL is cheaper than the mountain towns I mentioned. That may not matter, though, depending on your profession.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,329,931 times
BTW, to my knowledge I haven't met a junkie in NM yet. Of course I don't hang out in sleazy bars or on dark street corners late at night either, so maybe I'm missing some opportunities.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,457,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People live in ABQ because the COL is cheaper than the mountain towns I mentioned.
That's certainly not the only reason. Albuquerque is also the biggest labor market, has more jobs and lower unemployment than most other NM communities (with the possible exception of Los Alamos, but their economy is entirely focused on the national lab), and on average has a significantly younger population.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,505,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, how would you know which forum is the biased one: Reddit or C-D? Most people would know better, than to believe sweeping statements, like "all young people in ______ are junkies", etc.

I've lived in Santa Fe for over 10 years, and have never heard of tire slashing. Was SF the one you were alluding to, in your "town of retirees" comment? What kind of town are you looking for, exactly? SF has symphony, opera, a half-dozen museums or more, and lots of art venues and events, if that's what you're into. If you don't want to be around a lot of retirees ( ), you could opt for a town of scientists and engineers (Los Alamos), which is a smaller town than SF, and avoids some of the summer heat extremes because of the higher elevation. Crime is virtually unheard of there. Or you could check out Taos, another smaller-than-SF town full of art galleries, but with more water and greenery than most places in NM.

Comparing NM to Newark is laughable. I happen to know for a fact, that NM gets refugees from Newark. They're happy to find a place where they can settle down to a nice, quiet, normal life.

YMMV, I guess. Personally, I wouldn't pick ABQ, for a number of reasons, but NM can be delightful, depending on what you're looking for. Oh, and btw, what kind of work do you do? People live in ABQ because the COL is cheaper than the mountain towns I mentioned. That may not matter, though, depending on your profession.
I wonder if retiree towns would be safer. I am an IT major and it seems like most of NM has a lot of IT jobs based on Indeed.com. Many people say that NM has no jobs, but for my field, there are TONS of IT jobs more than NJ. I bet it's easier to get a job in NM than NJ anyways since there is going to be less competition our here due to being a small not-so-desirable metropolitan area.

I am not sure how bad the young junkies are in NM. I was really impressed with the CA junkies. My cousin who is 19 lives in the Bay Area and lives a hippy life and hangs out with junkies. The CA junkies are so friendly and cool (Except I have to take caution to not breathe in their drugs)!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,505,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
That's certainly not the only reason. Albuquerque is also the biggest labor market, has more jobs and lower unemployment than most other NM communities (with the possible exception of Los Alamos, but their economy is entirely focused on the national lab), and on average has a significantly younger population.
I thought it's the opposite. Everyone is saying ABQ and NM have no jobs, but in the IT field, there are TONS of IT jobs out here based on Indeed.com. There are even more IT jobs than NJ!! I bet there is less competition in NM since NM is less desirable and has only small metro areas.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM

9,382 posts, read 20,849,353 times
If you use Facebook, and want to know about the day to day crime in Las Cruces, I suggest you join this following group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LCCWATCH/

You will have enough reading material about the crime here for quite a while. Las Cruces is the second largest city in the state, though we are a fifth the size of Albuquerque, we have many of the same problems. Violent crime is one thing, but as someone who has lived most of their life in New Jersey, I continue to be absolutely astonished by the amount of property crime in this city. It is literally every single day, witness "porch pirates" who are shown on video surveillance cameras in broad day light taking packages delivered to front doors. To me, this behavior is the lowest of the low. Where I used to live in New Jersey, I could keep my front doors unlocked, and even put a sign up on my front yard, stating my doors were unlocked, and come home from work with my entire home in tact. The last town I lived in had two property crimes recorded the entire year. Most suburban towns in New Jersey are at this level. It comes down to community accepted level of normal behavior. That is where it is culturally 180 degrees different here than it is in suburban New Jersey.

With all that being said, there's no way in hell I would ever want to return to New Jersey. No place is perfect, and I could write an entire dissertation that would bore folks to tears.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,294 times
Have you looked at Las Cruces? It's a mix of families, retirees and college students. The crime issue is significantly lower than Albuquerque and many areas of northern NM and you're close enough to El Paso for air travel needs.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If you use Facebook, and want to know about the day to day crime in Las Cruces, I suggest you join this following group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LCCWATCH/

You will have enough reading material about the crime here for quite a while. Las Cruces is the second largest city in the state, though we are a fifth the size of Albuquerque, we have many of the same problems. Violent crime is one thing, but as someone who has lived most of their life in New Jersey, I continue to be absolutely astonished by the amount of property crime in this city. It is literally every single day, witness "porch pirates" who are shown on video surveillance cameras in broad day light taking packages delivered to front doors. To me, this behavior is the lowest of the low. Where I used to live in New Jersey, I could keep my front doors unlocked, and even put a sign up on my front yard, stating my doors were unlocked, and come home from work with my entire home in tact. The last town I lived in had two property crimes recorded the entire year. Most suburban towns in New Jersey are at this level. It comes down to community accepted level of normal behavior. That is where it is culturally 180 degrees different here than it is in suburban New Jersey.

With all that being said, there's no way in hell I would ever want to return to New Jersey. No place is perfect, and I could write an entire dissertation that would bore folks to tears.

Violent Crime rates in 2016
Las Cruces: 245
New Jersey: 245
US average: 386
Reno: 673

Property crime rate in 2016
Las Cruces: 4678
New Jersey: 1544
Reno: 3085
USA: 2450

Las Cruces crime rate is significantly lower than Albuquerque, and for violent crime lower than average for the US and for the poster's alternative Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico