Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 17,148 times

Advertisements

I KNOW that no where is perfect, and that i can't have everything i am looking for, so please dont be rude. This place may not even exist in NM, just lemme know what towns it most sounds like though, looking to take trips out there before moving and want specific towns/cities to visit. Here is what i am looking for...

1. Clean air year round - if possible, i know the warmer weather i prefer usually means worse air
2. Moderate/hot temps - 4 seasons is chill, but looking for low humidity, warmer climate vs colder climate
3. Lower Population - between 1k -90k population.
4. Affordable - homes renting under $1k and small homes selling under $100k
5. Forest - want to live in more rural settings, in forest or near river or lake, I love the outdoors
6. Natural Living - organic foods, farmer market, farm to table, local buying, medical marijuana
7. Community - eco friendly folks, hippies, spiritual openness, intellectuals, community connection

places that remind me of this "perfect place" in my mind for reference (minus affordable living):
a. santa cruz, ca
c. san luis obispo, ca
d. grass valley, ca
e. cottonwood, az
f.. tuba city, az
g. talent, or
h. san marcos, tx

Thanks so much everyone your answers are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 04:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Take a look at Silver City, NM. It checks most of your boxes - lots of hippies and ex-hippies, near the Gila National Forest and small in size. Check me on home prices, though - I'm thinking they're under $1,000 to rent and <$100,000 to buy. Homes are affordable here in Alamogordo, NM, the winds do pick up in the month of May as we hit the monsoon season, but, we are up against the Sacramento Mountains and enjoy a "cooler" desert environment than much of the southwest. Especially if you head up to the town of Cloudcroft, which sits up in the Sacramento Mts.

Ruidoso, NM, sits in the Lincoln National Forest and is up higher in elevation, so it gets snow and ice where we don't down here in Alamogordo. The forested areas here in southern New Mexico would definitely check some of your boxes. Much of the research could be done on the internet but, of course, a personal visit is the only way to learn about places you may want to move to.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 17,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Take a look at Silver City, NM. It checks most of your boxes - lots of hippies and ex-hippies, near the Gila National Forest and small in size. Check me on home prices, though - I'm thinking they're under $1,000 to rent and <$100,000 to buy. Homes are affordable here in Alamogordo, NM, the winds do pick up in the month of May as we hit the monsoon season, but, we are up against the Sacramento Mountains and enjoy a "cooler" desert environment than much of the southwest. Especially if you head up to the town of Cloudcroft, which sits up in the Sacramento Mts.

Ruidoso, NM, sits in the Lincoln National Forest and is up higher in elevation, so it gets snow and ice where we don't down here in Alamogordo. The forested areas here in southern New Mexico would definitely check some of your boxes. Much of the research could be done on the internet but, of course, a personal visit is the only way to learn about places you may want to move to.
Thank you soo much for your reply, it is sincerely appreciated and I will begin my research into the Silver City area. The avg home price on zillow seems higher than 100k but i still see options for places under 100k as well as land under 100k.

Ruidoso weather is definitely colder on the yearly charts I found, but looks beautiful on google images, and the homes are nice and choices under 100k. Thank you for recommending both places, I hadn't heard of either place before. Your response is greatly appreciated

I have to ask, what is that dark patch on the left of the I-54?? Its very large and goes from Carrizozo down to Three Rivers.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamgoulove View Post
I have to ask, what is that dark patch on the left of the I-54?? Its very large and goes from Carrizozo down to Three Rivers.
That's the Carrizozo Malpais, a lava flow from about 5000 years ago. It contains the Valley of Fires Recreation Area, well worth a visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrizozo_Malpais

Ruidoso leans more conservative, while Silver City leans more liberal. Silver City is home to Western New Mexico University, a small campus with under 2000 enrollment.

Last edited by aries63; 05-29-2019 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Thank you soo much for your reply, it is sincerely appreciated and I will begin my research into the Silver City area. The avg home price on zillow seems higher than 100k but i still see options for places under 100k as well as land under 100k.

Ruidoso weather is definitely colder on the yearly charts I found, but looks beautiful on google images, and the homes are nice and choices under 100k. Thank you for recommending both places, I hadn't heard of either place before. Your response is greatly appreciated

The advantage of Ruidoso is that it's cooler in the summers, than the desert floor. Check out summer temps on a weather site. It has warm days, cool night, but not HOT days. A happy medium.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:

There's no I-54 in New Mexico,OP.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
It is difficult to find a forested location with less than 30 inches of snow in the Mountain West (another of your postings stated that 30 inches of snow was too much) so southern NM or AZ is likely to be your best bet. You are unlikely to find homes for less than $100K but a rental for less than $1K a month is definitely doable. Agree with others that Silver City is a good choice. Also Bisbee, AZ (and I see you have Cottonwood on your list as Jerome AZ also fits).

If you can stand about 30 inches of snow, the area SE of Santa Fe with the communities of Madrid, Los Cerillos, and Galisteo might fit your criteria. Very hippy! The combined population may be 1K but it is an easy commute to Santa Fe for shopping. There are older rundown homes for less than $200K and I assume there are rentals available but probably by word of mouth or locally advertised - I was unable to find rentals on the internet. The problem in all these areas will be finding a job.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
There are "homes" in Ruidoso that can be had for under $100k. But not without making compromises when it comes to livability. There are several areas within the town limits of Ruidoso and Ruidoso Downs that were developed for such things as house trailers, mobile homes and modular homes. Lot sizes are generally smaller than lots intended for stick-built homes.

That lava flow west of Carrizozo has what is known as Valley of Fires recreation area on BLM land.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/valley-of-fires

Old 05-31-2019, 01:49 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
If the OP checks out Bisbee and Silver City, they should also visit the Patagonia/Sonoita area of Arizona. Probably too small for their taste but rather artsy and some pretty scenery with at least one lake. Is very popular for bird watching.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
1. Clean air year round - if possible, i know the warmer weather i prefer usually means worse air
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico