Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM

946 posts, read 3,273,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
quoting Devin Bent:

"Do you know the stretches of 66 in New Mexico that are still authentic -- that have not been obliterated by an Interstate and that still have some of the old buildings or businesses surviving? Are there any?"

You need look no further than Central Avenue in Albuquerque. I believe that's the old route. Lots of motels and old neon signs.
I hope somebody gets into the preservation of these areas. Most people -- IMO -- regard these things as eyesores and are itching to destroy them. But someday we'll see them as priceless Americana.

And personally, I love neon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Neon is much more aesthetically pleasing than the big plastic signs with backlighting we see today. I guess the new signs are cheaper to build, maintain and require less electricity?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

18,269 posts, read 25,983,245 times
I lived in Tucumcari in the early 80's and loved it. The community welcomed us albeit only for a short time as it was a pipeline prject. Some of the welders and other construction hands I worked with moved and retired there. I visit every other year there. Just guessing on these figures but Tucumcari's population is a little less than 10,000. Elevation a little over 4000 ft. Sadly, there not a lot of jobs there. When the Interstate was completed it really hurt the Route 66 towns and just recently more new hotels have been constructed there. There has been a new truck stop open up just in the last couple months:I believe a Flin' J. I called the Chamber of Commerce and they sent me a promo pack on the town and Quay County in general. She was very pleasant and gave me lots of info. If you are coming in on I-40 westbound, stop in at the newly constructed New Mexico Welcome Center, close to the port of entry. They have state info packets as well.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:19 PM

18,269 posts, read 25,983,245 times
Forgot a couple items. The town newspaper on line is the Quay County Sun. There is a community college there. ALSO, if you like the nostalgia of 66, the older motels are a treat. One of the most noted is the Blue Swallow Motel on the east end of town. There are many others. A great mexican food restaurant in the central part of town (Name escapes me) has a huge sombrero on top. There are other threads on Tucumcari. I haven't spent a lot of time in the other Route 66 towns; hopefully some of the other posters can contribute.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,118,786 times
Devin Bent asks:

> ... stretches of 66 in New Mexico that are still authentic --
> that have not been obliterated ... still have some of the old buildings ...

Gallup, Grants and Tucumcari still have the look and feel of the route - AKA The Mother Road.

When I moved here, some or all of those (I can't remember which) had not yet been bypassed by the freeway.

There are lots of places that are now fenced off, boarded up, and there are some places that are still functioning businesses in all those towns, but probably still fading.

Here, in Albuquerque, it was correctly pointed out that Central Avenue also still has the look/feel of the Mother Road. Specific details have changed, but it's still cool.

There was recently a fight between the mayor and a property owner over the El Vado ( 2500 Central Ave SW 87104 ):
Albuquerque- New Mexico Route 66

It is a beautiful, classic Rt 66 design, but alas, is but a shell.

While they fight, it rots (more).

I've stayed at the De Anza, now fenced off (rotting).

BTW, in another thread, [ Street level photos ] you'll find notice of a neat feature on Google Maps that you can use to view the El Vado, De Anza and _ALL_ the others.

You can also visit
Live Maps
to see "Bird's Eye" views from N, S, E, & W.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,213,970 times
Seems to me, if you want to find work, you should narrow your search to towns where the economy is growing.

That rules out Tucumcari.
I think that rules out Gallup.

Grants, on the other hand, is growing. If you want way-out-in-the-sticks-66, perhaps something more like Cubero, Milan, or <snicker> Budville.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 AM

47 posts, read 224,584 times
I appreciate all the helpful tips. Im a bigtime"Roadie". I wish I had been around in its heyday. Give me chrome, neon, malt shops, drive ins, and cruisin'. Even if I dont get rich, I'd be having fun. I hope more places on the route get restored. Maybe if all else fails for me to get a job, maybe I can open an antique store. I can dream.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
You should consider buying an old diner and motel and restoring it with modern convienences. Then market it through tourist and travel magazines and websites. Try to create a sense of specialty nostalgia. It even might work.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 224,584 times
That would be fun. I heard they restored the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari. My b-day is in June and I plan to stay there. I will have to check it out. Save some history. I wish I were around in the 50's so I know I appreciate nostalgia. Things seemed simple and fun back then. I will scope things out and maybe I can get something going. Cheaply. And fix it up to look like it did.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM

946 posts, read 3,273,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terra nova View Post
That would be fun. I heard they restored the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari. My b-day is in June and I plan to stay there. I will have to check it out. Save some history. I wish I were around in the 50's so I know I appreciate nostalgia. Things seemed simple and fun back then. I will scope things out and maybe I can get something going. Cheaply. And fix it up to look like it did.

That sounds great. If they got one place going, you add another and pretty soon the area starts drawing in the tourists. Go luck. Let us know how it works out and we can all drive over there and drop some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico