Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,688 times

Advertisements

Sure Alamogordo is nice to visit but very hot like Las Cruces and Roswell Artesia Carlsbad etc. The Center of N.M. where its Cool and warm both and wonderful people and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and Las Vegas and Santa Rosa N.M. Moriarty is in the East Mountain area my favorite area half hour from Albuquerque and Santa Fe and lots of small towns with Friendly people and lots to do in the Summer and Fall. Rent to Own or rent a motel by the week or month in Moriarty and explore from the center of N.M. and find the place you are looking for. I think real estate bargains are gonna zoom and country life and low crime is my thoughts about the East Mountain Area. Read the Independent and the East Mountain Telegraph. P.S. check out the red Concession trailer across from the Park in Moriarty they have the best Burritos. pintada kid at webtv.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Moriarty is an interesting place, all right, but it has rather cold winters according to the info I've seen. But I'll take those over the heat, humidity and severe weather in Tornado Alley any day.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM

104 posts, read 376,471 times
On Rt66 East of Albuqueruqe is Tucumcari. Tucumcari has suffered from since 1970's when I-40 was completed. The old business district is in ruins. Albuquerque's Central Avenue was the old route back in the day. Then west of Albuquerque is Grants and Gallup. Grants is the friendlier of the two communities and closest to recreation like hiking, camping, and hunting. What are you looking for in a community?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 224,335 times
Yup, Alamogordo is nice. Im going to have to check out Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. I hear nice things about them. I cant wain til June. Vacation!!! I have to work everyday til June 9 and its the pits!! Thanks for the kind words 6/3. I thought there should be a post for Route 66 and New Mexico. I will be so happy when I get moved down there. Denver is a zoo!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM

I will have to check out your advice Pintada Kid. I need all the help I can get. And I also love burritos!! And Solidwood. Yeah I want to see Grants. What Im looking for is a friendly down home community. Id like to start an antique store/ curio shop. Im originally from Iowa. Id like to be in a safer community then where I am now (Denver). Something slower paced. Everything here goes by in a blur. Something layed back and somewhat "boring". I can always find ways to entertain myself.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM

203 posts, read 714,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terra nova View Post
I will have to check out your advice Pintada Kid. I need all the help I can get. And I also love burritos!! And Solidwood. Yeah I want to see Grants. What Im looking for is a friendly down home community. Id like to start an antique store/ curio shop. Im originally from Iowa. Id like to be in a safer community then where I am now (Denver). Something slower paced. Everything here goes by in a blur. Something layed back and somewhat "boring". I can always find ways to entertain myself.
For many reasons,I avoid boosting Las Vegas on this forum- but LV does meet almost all of your criteria... and it was on pre-1937 66. LV is becoming an antiquer's destination stop. The town has 3 large, high quality antique stores (with at least one more in the works), 2 smaller stores and a couple of seasonal specialty stores. 900+ houses and commercial buildings on the National Historic Register. Historic commercial buildings in the downtown corridor are still very affordable and are zoned to allow retail/residential.

MainStreet Las Vegas, New Mexico

Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
For many reasons,I avoid boosting Las Vegas on this forum- but LV does meet almost all of your criteria... and it was on pre-1937 66. LV is becoming an antiquer's destination stop. The town has 3 large, high quality antique stores (with at least one more in the works), 2 smaller stores and a couple of seasonal specialty stores. 900+ houses and commercial buildings on the National Historic Register. Historic commercial buildings in the downtown corridor are still very affordable and are zoned to allow retail/residential.

MainStreet Las Vegas, New Mexico
I have to second this. Because of my wife's schedule, I ended up spending two days a week in Las Vegas for a year. For a small town, it has an excellent array of restaurants, book stores, coffee shops, antique stores, specialty shops, etc. Although it is pre-1937 route 66, at least one large route 66 tour group came through that year because of the town's attractions. Several movies were filmed during that year -- I know because I tripped over their wires or was forced out of the Plaza Hotel to accommodate them.

For those interested in history, it is on the old Santa Fe trail and the route of the Santa Fe Railroad. And many of the buildings reflect an earlier era.

Still, there were vacancies in commercial properties -- which suggest reasonable rental or purchase prices to me.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
For all of you Route 66 fans (like me), check out the Oklahoma forum. There is a thread there started by Goodpasture that is talking about a Model T run going across New Mexico. They are starting in Springfield, Missouri, will hit Tucumcari on the 18th and will be in NM for a few days. They leave Gallup on the 23rd. Moderator, is there a way you put that post on here? Don't know how many model T's but I WILL BE THERE!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Cool!! I wish I could go. I have an old 60 Chevy myself, but I belong to the Southeast Iowa Antique Car Club. I have lots of friends with model A 's ,and Model T's. I will have to check out Las Vegas and that Oklahoma forum. I cant wait til next month so I can check out these places. In Ruidoso are there adobe homes? I have my heart set on getting one.A place where I can hang up my Old Indian stuff. And a place where I can have a horse and a few chickens. A sanctuary. Nice and quiet. And hopefully lots of lizards. I love animals, even the creepy scaley kind!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 AM

Hey, whats anyone know about Lordsburg? Looking foward to next month. hoping to check out lots of old Indian places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico