Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
You haven't lived here in more than 20 years, right?
Wrong. I left NM in 2010.
Quote:
All of these ABQ neighborhoods compare favorably to ... Sunnyvale, CA.
Who said Sunnyvale was walkable? Not I. It ranks very low on walkability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I have always enjoyed bicycling in the Huning Castle neighborhood in Albuquerque....I"m sure it's just as nice walking....
You all are misunderstanding the term "walkability." This term has very specific use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Oh, so only about a decade ago? My mistake.

Quote:
You all are misunderstanding the term "walkability." This term has very specific use.
What about the people behind the Walkscore website? Please explain how they are misunderstanding walkability...I'm sure it will be interesting to read.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Who said Sunnyvale was walkable? Not I. It ranks very low on walkability.

As usual, your flapping your jaws, making sounds, but still incorrect:

Sunnyvale Walk Score 55 https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Sunnyvale
Albuquerque Walk Score 43 From https://www.walkscore.com/NM/Albuquerque

Walk Score measures the walkability of any address based on the distance to nearby places and pedestrian friendliness.

90–100 Walker’s Paradise - Daily errands do not require a car

70–89 Very Walkable - Most errands can be accomplished on foot

50–69 Somewhat Walkable - Some errands can be accomplished on foot

25–49 Car-Dependent - Most errands require a car

0–24 Car-Dependent - Almost all errands require a car

Old 09-12-2019, 02:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Downtown Albuquerque is at the cutting edge of whatever the next iteration of hipsterdom will be in the future. No other place in New Mexico is as cutting edge and dynamic as Downtown Albuquerque is right now. Downtown Albuquerque is the most urban place in New Mexico and the most walkable. The center of Downtown Albuquerque at 4th and Central scores 95 on Walkscore, and the entirety of Downtown Albuquerque is pretty consistently 90+ on Walkscore.

Downtown Albuquerque has over 90 restaurants, bars, coffee shops, microbreweries, craft distilleries, etc. There are 19 art galleries and three museums. There are at least 15 venues which feature live entertainment daily and nightly, from the KiMo Theater to bars like the Launchpad. Downtown Albuquerque and the industrial area just to the north are the epicenter of microbreweries and craft distilleries in the entire state. There are currently 4 craft distilleries and 9 microbreweries in this area, with two more of each planned.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Albuquerque has the most people living in highly walkable neighborhoods (80+ on Walkscore) of any city in the state.

Albuquerque - 10,684
Santa Fe - 2,584

Expanding it out to very walkable neighborhoods (70+ on Walkscore) and the gap becomes even more clear.

Albuquerque - 37,413
Santa Fe - 3,547

As I said in another thread on City-Data where I presented these numbers for Albuquerque, Downtown Albuquerque proper isn't even counted or evaluated as a neighborhood on Walkscore. Consequently, there are likely about 2,367 residents in 1,578 existing residential units in Downtown Albuquerque not counted on Walkscore. That would bring Albuquerque's total up to about 13,051 people living in highly walkable neighborhoods and 39,780 in very walkable or better neighborhoods.

Below are all the cities in New Mexico ranked on Walkscore.

Albuquerque - 43
Santa Fe - 40
Hobbs - 40
Clovis - 35
Carlsbad - 35
Las Cruces - 34
Roswell - 33
Farmington - 30
Gallup - 27
Alamogordo - 25
South Valley - 23
Rio Rancho - 14

https://www.walkscore.com/NM/

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are the only cities in the state even broken down into neighborhoods on Walkscore. Santa Fe does have a nice, walkable urban core, but overall it pales in comparison to the urbanity of Albuquerque.

I love how people like to sell Albuquerque short in things like this, when it's clear it is the most urban place in New Mexico. I also love how people like to dismiss or forsake Downtown Albuquerque as well, when it's actually the most urban place in New Mexico with tons going on.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:52 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Oh, so only about a decade ago? My mistake.
I forgive you.

Almost every neighborhood in Albuquerque is Car-Dependent. There are only two or three neighborhoods that can be considered Somewhat Walkable: Nob Hill, Downtown, and if you live near a Mall on the west side then you might consider that Somewhat Walkable as well.

Same with Sunnyvale except Sunnyvale is even less Walkable. There's only one neighborhood here that can be considered Somewhat Walkable - Main Street. The rest of the city is Car-Dependent.

Walkability doesn't just mean restaurants and bars and entertainment. It also means grocery shopping, haircuts, buying clothes, going to the doctor, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Downtown Albuquerque is at the cutting edge of whatever the next iteration of hipsterdom will be in the future. No other place in New Mexico is as cutting edge and dynamic as Downtown Albuquerque is right now.
Nah. Santa Fe plaza is way more dynamic and "hipster-ish".

Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Santa Fe is fancy and mostly draws older tourists. There's nothing hipster about upscale art galleries and the Santa Fe scene.

Downtown Albuquerque has indie art galleries, second hand and vintage shops, tattoo parlors, microbreweries, third wave coffee shops, etc.

I doubt you've been to any establishments in Downtown Albuquerque or the Plaza in Santa Fe lately.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to New Mexico.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:42 PM

We, or members of our family get to Santa Fe about three times a year.

Santa Fe, New Mexico ranks as the country's third largest art market which has nearly 200 galleries.

Santa Fe has the third largest State Museum system in the country which features culture, history and traditions.

Santa Fe has more than 200 restaurant choices ranging from local New Mexican flavors to creative Southwestern cuisine to authentic world cuisines.

You can hike and bike year-round IN Santa. Ski slopes open from Thanksgiving through Easter.

You can enjoy white water river rafting, horseback riding, fly-fishing.

Santa Fe has a variety of bed & breakfasts, campgrounds, hotels, resorts, and RV parks.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
Areas that are popular with hipsters too, I don't know if that's the right word, but just sort of hip areas as well.
In 2017, British logistics and marketing firm, MoveHub, published a "Hipster Index" for the United States. Albuquerque, New Mexico came in as Number 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipste...ary_subculture)

Old 09-13-2019, 04:19 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Albuquerque has the most people living in highly walkable neighborhoods (80+ on Walkscore) of any city in the state.

Albuquerque - 10,684
Santa Fe - 2,584

Expanding it out to very walkable neighborhoods (70+ on Walkscore) and the gap becomes even more clear.

Albuquerque - 37,413
Santa Fe - 3,547

As I said in another thread on City-Data where I presented these numbers for Albuquerque, Downtown Albuquerque proper isn't even counted or evaluated as a neighborhood on Walkscore. Consequently, there are likely about 2,367 residents in 1,578 existing residential units in Downtown Albuquerque not counted on Walkscore. That would bring Albuquerque's total up to about 13,051 people living in highly walkable neighborhoods and 39,780 in very walkable or better neighborhoods.

Below are all the cities in New Mexico ranked on Walkscore.

Albuquerque - 43
Santa Fe - 40
Hobbs - 40
Clovis - 35
Carlsbad - 35
Las Cruces - 34
Roswell - 33
Farmington - 30
Gallup - 27
Alamogordo - 25
South Valley - 23
Rio Rancho - 14

https://www.walkscore.com/NM/

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are the only cities in the state even broken down into neighborhoods on Walkscore. Santa Fe does have a nice, walkable urban core, but overall it pales in comparison to the urbanity of Albuquerque.

I love how people like to sell Albuquerque short in things like this, when it's clear it is the most urban place in New Mexico. I also love how people like to dismiss or forsake Downtown Albuquerque as well, when it's actually the most urban place in New Mexico with tons going on.
I have no idea how in the hell Las Cruces even mustered up a 34. It is a straight on car dependent city. Albuquerque, at 43, on the other hand, should have a higher score. It is more than 9 points superior to Las Cruces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico