Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 AM

825 posts, read 1,030,263 times

Advertisements

I might have an opportunity to move to Silver City. It’s been awhile since I’ve been, but I remember it being a small, sleepy but pretty place. I’ve been looking into it, and the schools and crime concern me a bit. Can someone give me an honest assessment of living there with kids, good and bad? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 AM

27 posts, read 39,031 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ver+city%2C+nm

This link connects to other links, all about Silver City.

For my own two cents, the wife and I visited there a few years ago. Nice town, but isolated. It took hours to get out of there driving to the east (we drove in from the north). And, lots of transients in the downtown area by the streambed.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM

825 posts, read 1,030,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonKatsu View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ver+city%2C+nm

This link connects to other links, all about Silver City.

For my own two cents, the wife and I visited there a few years ago. Nice town, but isolated. It took hours to get out of there driving to the east (we drove in from the north). And, lots of transients in the downtown area by the streambed.
Appreciate the response! I looked at past posts, I didn’t see much regarding kid specific information. I’m definitely appreciative to hear more about that!

Old 10-11-2019, 01:27 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,430,600 times

I took a wrong turn heading out of Silver City yesterday and accidently started heading east in to the extreme boonies. It was gorgeous for scenery but Mrs.elkotronics and I really wanted ta head south to Deming to hit a store of two there. Mrs. elkotronics caught my error about 5-10 miles in to that and commented on how things didn't look right and all, and we went back the same way we got there and made the correct turn this time. It was on to Highway 61 southbound that connected to Highway 180 southbound for Deming. Yikes - we also drove out of Silver City up towards the Gila Cliff Dwellings. We didn't want to go all the way north to the Cliff Dwellings, though, because they don't allow pets on the trail that leads to the Cliff Dwellings. They do offer 3 pens for your pet - first come first serve. We punted that idea, because our Chow Chow would freak out in sadness if Mom and Dad just left her there - if even for an hour of two!

Anyhow - as far as Silver City goes - we like it. It is isolated, it is artsy-fartsy, though, if you're the artsy-fartsy type. I enjoyed looking in to the store windows in their nice downtown shopping district, for sure. There is the Big Ditch area adjoining downtown that has a cool walking bridge over it to the Silver City Visitor's Center. At the Visitor Center there is what I believe was a volunteer who was very helpful and answered my questions.

Real estate appears to be a little pricey at first glance, but I think that we could find something do-able for us if we wanted to retire there. I don't think we're gonna leave Alamogordo, but I told Mrs.elkotronics yesterday that Silver City is my New Mexico No.2 livable city. You have your Wal*Mart and Ace Hardware, I don't recall seeing a Home Depot or Lowe's - check that out on your computer searching if you're concerned about that. Lots of hardware stores and gardening stores, though, even if there's no big box hardware stores.

The town is very peaceful, however, last trip there several months ago there was a drunk that was highly intoxicated that required about 4 Silver City policemen to contain him. He was right at the spot where you hit solid land again coming across the Big Ditch bridge to old downtown.

There is a University located in Silver City, NM, called Western New Mexico State University. If your particular vocational need and/or degree could be had from going there I would find this smallish New Mexico city a great place ta go to schooling in. Fantastic learning location - having said that, I have done no research in to the quality of the teaching there and/or what they offer. Just a beautiful location ta learn in!

Silver City population was 9,647 in 2017.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,561,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I might have an opportunity to move to Silver City. It’s been awhile since I’ve been, but I remember it being a small, sleepy but pretty place. I’ve been looking into it, and the schools and crime concern me a bit. Can someone give me an honest assessment of living there with kids, good and bad? Thank you!!
This may be of help:

Silver City Public Schools: Silver City public schools
Silver City Crime: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM

17,648 posts, read 13,484,998 times
Any place that Billy the Kid lived is good enough for me.

Agree with Elk. One of the nicest towns in NM. Really nice climate, nice college, nice downtown, some nice housing stock and very close to some nice mountains.

If I haven't made it clear............it is a very nice place.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,561,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Billy the Kid (Henry McCarty) was born in New York City. His birth year has been confirmed to be 1859, the exact date of his birth has been disputed...

Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Agree with Elk. One of the nicest towns in NM. Really nice climate, nice college, nice downtown, some nice housing stock and very close to some nice mountains.

If I haven't made it clear............it is a very nice place.

Another small town that Billy the Kid liked to hang out at was White Oaks, NM. Now that's a small town! Billy considered it homey and just fine for him ta spend time at.

I really do get a get feeling about Silver City. My guess is we'll stay here in Alamogordo in retirement because we're used to it and we keep getting more stores to shop at. Plus, we still haven't walked the White Sands National Monument land yet! There's plenty of things right around Alamo ta do we haven't done yet. Another one that comes ta mind is going to the NM Space Museum and another one is visiting the Otero County Museum at 10th and White Sands Blvd.

But not to take away from Silver City - it would offer a fairly affordable, beautiful setting where a person should be able ta live a fairly peaceful life at.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,440,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Another small town that Billy the Kid liked to hang out at was White Oaks, NM. Now that's a small town! Billy considered it homey and just fine for him ta spend time at.
Biggest town in New Mexico after Santa Fe at the time Billy was kicking around! Not much to look at these days, though...

Old 10-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Biggest town in New Mexico after Santa Fe at the time Billy was kicking around! Not much to look at these days, though...

Very cool. There's something about it that lures us back up there for a peek now and then. Didn't know it was the biggest town in New Mexico after Santa Fe whilst Billy the Kid graced it's city limits, though. Ya truly can learn something new every day, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico