Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times

Advertisements

KRQE Meteorologist Mark Ronchetti quit his job yesterday and today announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate by hoping to win the Republican primary against four other contenders. The Republican nominee would ultimately face Democratic Rep. Ben Ray Lujan Jr. in the general election later this year.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1407329/p...ew-mexico.html

https://www.krqe.com/news/politics-g...or-u-s-senate/

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...exico/5600325/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM

This was somewhat surprising to me. I thought Mark Ronchetti was just going to leave the state. If he loses I think he eventually will leave the state. Him and his wife strike me as ambitious and driven people who really have no strong ties or great loyalty to New Mexico. His mention of the problems with crime, etc. in New Mexico seem more like a justification to leave this state if he loses. And I think he's narcissistic enough to think only he can fix them and both dumb and ambitious enough to think he can do that best as a U.S. senator instead of a local politician.

As I said, he and his wife both seem narcissistic and highly ambitious. Mark vs the Mountain and her constant appearances on his network have shown that, I believe. They seem to want fame and to achieve notoriety above all else. They want to be a power couple. New Mexico is not the kind of place for people like that to achieve their dreams, especially if they aren't natives to this state.

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually wins. There are plenty of pro-Trump conservative Hispanic Democrats in this state who don't care about abortion rights and who don't like illegal immigrants that might turn toward him in an election against Ben Ray Lujan Jr. If Mark Ronchetti does win he will be one of those senators who will not return to New Mexico after his time in office is over. Instead, he will try to parlay his position into something bigger on a bigger stage.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Clueless. He's pretty, though. In a place where the weather fluctuates five degrees a day, a chimp could do his job. He wants to take that worthy experience and run with it. Looks like another one-trick-pony in search of lobbyists and special interests. We got enough of that already.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM

His offical campaign announcement video on YouTube. I love that they dubbed in the bit about Trump after the fact, lol. Trying to soften his support of the president in a blue state like New Mexico. His wife is a self-described "PR Chick" so she's probably the one advising him to tone down his support of the president. However, I think it's doubtful his support of the president will turn off any possible voters in this state who are willing to vote for him in the first place.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:21 AM

His campaign announcement on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkRonch...04506220187652

My favorite comment so far: "Bust Potential: 100%" Hilarious!

Old 01-07-2020, 11:56 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
This was somewhat surprising to me. I thought Mark Ronchetti was just going to leave the state. If he loses I think he eventually will leave the state. Him and his wife strike me as ambitious and driven people who really have no strong ties or great loyalty to New Mexico. His mention of the problems with crime, etc. in New Mexico seem more like a justification to leave this state if he loses. And I think he's narcissistic enough to think only he can fix them and both dumb and ambitious enough to think he can do that best as a U.S. senator instead of a local politician.

As I said, he and his wife both seem narcissistic and highly ambitious. Mark vs the Mountain and her constant appearances on his network have shown that, I believe. They seem to want fame and to achieve notoriety above all else. They want to be a power couple. New Mexico is not the kind of place for people like that to achieve their dreams, especially if they aren't natives to this state.

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually wins. There are plenty of pro-Trump conservative Hispanic Democrats in this state who don't care about abortion rights and who don't like illegal immigrants that might turn toward him in an election against Ben Ray Lujan Jr. If Mark Ronchetti does win he will be one of those senators who will not return to New Mexico after his time in office is over. Instead, he will try to parlay his position into something bigger on a bigger stage.
Ronchetti has lived in NM for 22 years. Since we've only been here 21 years, I guess that means we don't have ties or loyalties here either.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Ronchetti has lived in NM for 22 years. Since we've only been here 21 years, I guess that means we don't have ties or loyalties here either.
He moved away for a few years to a job in a bigger market (Portland) so he hasn't lived in New Mexico for 22 years, its less than 20, as he himself says in his campaign video.

Media people and ambitious people like this are always looking to move on to a bigger thing. They don't care to put down roots. Mark Ronchetti moved back to New Mexico to accept the head meteorologist position at a television station in what was then the 42nd largest media market. That's better than being an associate meteorologist at a television station in the 28th largest media market at the time.

As a lifelong New Mexican of nearly 40 years, with a strong loyalty and connection to this place, no I don't believe he has a strong loyalty or connection to New Mexico.

His wife is from Colorado, which is where I expect them to eventually end up, especially if he loses.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:08 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
I think it's more about the party desperate to find someone who stands a chance, so they decided to recruit a local media figure whose blushing cheeks are known across the state. I'm not sure this is all from his personal ambitions. Where is his funding coming from? The living Koch Brother?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Mark Ronchetti, the longtime New Mexico meteorologist announced on January 7th, 2020 that he will be in the race for Tom Udall’s U.S. Senate seat. Mr. Ronchetti is running as a Republican and he could be facing off with Democrat Ben Ray Lujan in the general election this fall. The 46 year old Ronchetti was a longtime chief meteorologist at KRQE. Ronchetti decided to run because he said he was “fed up” with politicians in Washington not solving problems. He called himself a “proud conservative New Mexican” who is “pro-life and pro-Second Amendment.” Ronchetti supports low taxes and also believes the government's job should be to help keep families safe.

Mark Ronchetti's running announcement is at: http://www.markronchetti.com/. It states, "I’m running to give people a voice they haven’t had in a long time. New Mexico deserves a Senator who has not been part of the problem, but someone who will always put New Mexico first."

Mark graduated from Washington State University in 1996 and after a stint working at a television station in Colorado, he moved to New Mexico in 1998 to work in Albuquerque for a local TV station. He became a certified meteorologist and went on to become the Chief Meteorologist for Albuquerque’s CBS-affiliated news station. Mark has had a successful career and has enjoyed the opportunity and privilege to talk with viewers across the state. Mark is a conservative who believes that taxes should be low and 2nd amendment rights should be protected. As a proud political outsider, he says New Mexico deserves a senator who has not been part of the problem in Washington, but a senator who will represent true New Mexican values.

The 2020 United States Senate election in New Mexico will be held on November 3rd, 2020 to elect a member of the United States Senate to represent the State of New Mexico.

Incumbent Democratic Senator Tom Udall announced that he would retire and not seek reelection.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-08-2020 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
This was somewhat surprising to me. I thought Mark Ronchetti was just going to leave the state. If he loses I think he eventually will leave the state. Him and his wife strike me as ambitious and driven people who really have no strong ties or great loyalty to New Mexico.
Really? It appears they have lived in New Mexico about 22 years... After graduating from Washington State University in 1996 and, after a stint working at a television station in Colorado, he moved to New Mexico in 1998 to work for a local station in Albuquerque. He became a certified meteorologist and went on to become the Chief Meteorologist for Albuquerque’s CBS-affiliated news station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico