Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 10:29 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,454,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
No, I don't need "education" on spiritual belief systems
I never said you needed education - why are you putting that in quotes?

Quote:
I asked IF there're ANY pueblo that allow a visitor to walk around, not WHY many do not allow that.
Not really, no. Does that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 10:31 AM

527 posts, read 423,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Not really, no. Does that help?
Well, someone above said different (aries)...

You said,
Quote:
for your own edification
yeah that's why I put it in quotes, sorry I misread the word as "education"...what can you do with a dumb non-native English speaker. Yes, it has similar meaning to "education"! the instruction or improvement of a person morally or intellectually.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Well, someone above said different (aries)...
There are many Pueblos where you can wander around if you choose to, where there are no physical barriers or signs expressly prohibiting it, but this is neither welcomed nor encouraged and you can expect to be treated with suspicion.

I if the clear disapproval of the people you're supposedly interested in connecting with doesn't bother you in any way, then aries did say that. I would never be so intrusive or disrespectful, though...

Old 01-31-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
There are many Pueblos where you can wander around if you choose to, where there are no physical barriers or signs expressly prohibiting it, but this is neither welcomed nor encouraged and you can expect to be treated with suspicion.

I if the clear disapproval of the people you're supposedly interested in connecting with doesn't bother you in any way, then aries did say that. I would never be so intrusive or disrespectful, though...
How would people know someone is not a local? Are all the communities so small that everyone knows everyone? I guess if there're only few hundred or few thousand people everyone does know everyone.
Why not post signs like no trespassing if visitor isn't really welcome? Since many pueblos do explicitly prohibit to wander off tourist area. How does one know if it's OK or not, then...
Sorry, I have trouble assuming negative view of myself from random people, so far I was approached by Natives here in NM and taught some traditional things like gathering stuff, without asking them. I guess different communities have different view and one just has to go with gut feeling sometimes.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
How would people know someone is not a local? Are all the communities so small that everyone knows everyone?
Are you Native American? If not, you would probably stand out.

And yeah, most villages are fairly small and interrelated and obviously people know their relatives and neighbors.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Are you Native American? If not, you would probably stand out.

And yeah, most villages are fairly small and interrelated and obviously people know their relatives and neighbors.
I've been mistaken for a Native American in the Midwest...but all don't look the same...there're mixed-blood Native Americans out there you'd never guess they're and look more like English to me. So yes, even one from a different tribe could "stand-out".

Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Quote:
Rituals - yet, these are sacred ceremonies, I'm surprised some rituals and ceremonies actually allow outsiders at all.

I wonder if there're any that don't limit visitors' paths, though.
I am remembering attending public dance rituals on pueblos northern NM when I was living there. Clear rules (no photos, no stepping on the dance area). I also remember my first visit to the Taos Pueblo when I was totally ignorant of life or rules there and put my feet into a body of water and was firmly admonished at the impropriety of that. It's where I decided I didn't want to watch people go about their daily lives like a diorama and put up with the likes of me. I will, always, want to buy jewelry and pottery and the beautiful things that people make.

I found the public dances quite mesmerizing and well worth attending.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:27 AM

16,107 posts, read 10,771,225 times
I think the Pueblo elders have had enough of the gawkers over the last decades that things have been clamped down pretty tight (if they ever were freely open). These places are quite traditional in spite of modern inroads. Acoma has less than 100 residents at the mesa-top pueblo and most are there for a purpose. Jemez, Kewa, and others are quite protective. Cochiti shuts down access to Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument on certain days. No outsider is welcome to exp!ore willy-nilly in pueblos even when they are open to tours or events. The first thing a visitor notices might be the modern housing on some pueblos where most of the people live - but in many cases the families maintain a traditional residence at the old site for ceremonial events. Having strangers wandering around at will is not a good idea. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center does a great job in explaining the pueblo culture.

Some thirty years ago we were going to attend a public feast day celebration at one of the pueblos. When we got there it was chaotic because there wasn't enough designated parking for the tribal members let alone the tourists. That enraged one of the elderly residents who was agitated and making a scene. A tribal policeman arrived and explained what was going on and why the gentleman was upset so we happily departed and went somewhere else that day.

I recently took a visiting relative (an artist) to Acoma for the usual tour. The first day we tried to visit it was closed for some ceremonial purpose (we should have called ahead ). We went back the next day and it was crowded with Chinese tourists on several busses. Although you are allowed to take photos (you pay a camera license fee) the Pueblo does not permit any sketching and the tour guide confiscated my relative's sketch pencils (returned later). There was no good explanation for that rule when photos were allowed -- other than the tribal elders had prohibited sketching. (There are places where photography is prohibited as inside San Estevan del Rey Church and the cemetery.) No problem, we were taking other pictures anyway. The Chinese tourists were wandering like sheep and even trying to climb into the kivas so the tour guide had his hands full controlling the group. The guide was helped by a rain storm that arrived just when things were getting out of hand and we all followed him back to the awaiting shuttles.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:28 PM

Heck, this thread and a question made me think about how I look, like what....had to make a selfie....
oh boy....typical Euroasian
I guess I can pass for half-Native too....heck you have to belong to some race in America and check the box..good thing they don't put it on DL. Main thing one has to look like upstanding citizen.

Last edited by opossum1; 01-31-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 02:07 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,426,699 times
Rules for visiting Pueblos from the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center:

Pueblo communities are happy to welcome visitors to experience our culture and traditions. We ask that you read and consider the following information and guidelines for visiting our living communities. Please call the Pueblo directly at least two days before your visit to make sure the community will be open to visitors.

-Although most Pueblos are open to the public during daylight hours, the homes are private. Like any village, the Pueblos are home to those who live there and should be respected as such.
-Tribes value traditions, customs and religion. Please keep in mind that tribal dances are religious ceremonies, not public performances. It is a privilege to witness a ceremony. Some actions and/or questions could be offensive, so please refrain from pressing for answers.
-Some Pueblos charge an entry fee. Camping and fishing fees are charged where such facilities are available. Call ahead to find out if there are fees associated with visiting.
-Most Pueblos require a permit to photograph, sketch or paint on location. Some Pueblos prohibit photography at all times. Please check with the Tribal Office for the permitting process before entering the Pueblo. Once a permit is obtained, always ask for permission before taking a photograph of a tribal member. Remember: cameras and film can be confiscated.
-The carrying or use of alcohol and drugs on the Pueblos is strictly prohibited.
-Silence is mandatory during all dances and Pueblo ceremonies. This means no questions about the ceremonies or dances while they are underway; no interviews with the participants; no walking across the dance plaza; and no applause during or after the dance or ceremony.
-Pueblo villages, including Kivas, ceremonial rooms, and cemeteries are sacred places and restricted for use by Pueblo members only.
-Many of the structures are hundreds of years old. Do not scale walls or climb on top of buildings.
-Nature is sacred on the Pueblos. Littering is strictly prohibited.
-On Feast Days and other public observances, enter a Pueblo home as you would any other, by invitation only. It is courteous to accept an invitation to eat, but not to linger at the table, as your host will want to serve numerous guests throughout the day. Thank your host, but a payment or tip is not appropriate.
-Please obey all traffic and speed limit signs. Children and pets play near the roads. Also be cautious of livestock on or near main roadways.
-Observe all signage indicating off limits while visiting a Pueblo.
-If organized tours are offered, please remember to stay with your tribal guide at all times.
-Refrain from bringing a cell phone onto Pueblos. Tribal officials could confiscate cell phones if they feel they might be used for photography or recording.
-Do not remove artifacts, pottery shards or other items from the Pueblo.
-Tribal communities do not use the clock to determine our schedule of activities. Start and finish times for ceremonies are determined by nature and by the sequence of events that must take place.

https://www.indianpueblo.org/19-pueb...ting-a-pueblo/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico