Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:23 AM

536 posts, read 960,733 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have posted on other forums as we have prepared for retirement. Now that date is this year! We have scouted some areas, but we are drawn to the southwest. I have driven up and down and across NM in the passed. It has been more then 25 years ago now. I lived in Colorado. I have been up and down AZ, and UT as well. But my interests is NM. I know they tax retirement/SS, but the rate is pretty low. I have compared TX, with no state Income, but it has a very, very high property tax, so one way or another you pay. Seems that NM, is all around cheaper. Property taxes are low, sales tax is reasonable (Does it tax groceries?), and the income tax is moderate/low.

We are looking for a dry climate with lots of sunshine. Awe, NM! We don't want a crowded area, we want wide open spaces. Outdoor activities, hiking, and walking. Looking for nice walking parks for the daily walks/run. We want a small city outside accessible to a larger area.

Alamogordo ticks off some boxes for us. That is one part I have not been to. I have driven down I-25 from Colorado, to I-10 and on to Cali, and also I-40 when I went to the grand canyon. Kind of had a crisscross snap shot of NM. (Spent some time in Clovis, and we drove to Carlsbad)

We hope to buy or build a house for under 300,000 or right about there.

My questions would be quality of life there, and around the area to Los cruces, up north I-25 to the out-skirts of ABQ. It seems like a broad search I know. I would prefer very little winter if any at all. This summer I will be in Colorado, and we are going to drive south, and take a look at some areas in NM.

From those that live there, or retired there, can you give me some advice on where to seek out. Maybe there are areas we haven't thought about in NM? We need a budget friendly area, access to good healthcare, friendly people, outdoor life, mountain views, and good food! To name a few.

I live in KY now, and we had originally thought we would stay in this direction, but our life has changed and going west is now a priority. NM seems be economical compared to a lot of areas we have already been too.

Anyway, sorry to be long here.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
But my interests is NM. I know they tax retirement/SS, but the rate is pretty low. I have compared TX, with no state Income, but it has a very, very high property tax, so one way or another you pay. Seems that NM, is all around cheaper. Property taxes are low, sales tax is reasonable (Does it tax groceries?), and the income tax is moderate/low.
Groceries are exempt from the New Mexico sales tax. The following page explains sales-tax: New Mexico Sales Tax Rate - 2020

We moved to New Mexico 20 years ago. My wife was offered a job transfer in the Albuquerque area, she made the move, found a house etc. (I was in the military at that time.) We moved to Rio Rancho which is adjacent to Albuquerque.

We have plenty of good medical facilities, major airport near by and plenty of shopping.

We have traveled throughout the area to include the adjacent states (and Mexico). (I served 22 years of continuous active military duty, and traveled a lot, was stationed in the area at Fort Bliss, Fort Huachuca, Presidio of San Francisco, Cannon Air Force, Holloman Air Force Base, Kirtland Air Force Base...)

You mentioned Las Cruces, a town I always enjoyed, and my halfway point to visit friends in Arizona.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:55 AM

Thank you! My family was military too. We lived all over. I have always loved the south west. It has been many years ago now, but want to get back again. I have been through ABQ. My grandfather was born there in 1901. I have a painting one of my relatives did of the mountains there. It hangs above my couch. What did you think of Alamogordo when you were stationed there?

Old 02-29-2020, 01:58 PM

138 posts, read 145,402 times
I don't live in Alamogordo. I was stationed there in the 80s and never thought any more about it until my wife and I went looking for somewhere to live. (We weren't married when I was there.) We decided to look at Texas and a couple of other places and I figure it wasn't that far out of the way if we went to New Mexico. She agreed. We should have gone to Alamogordo last because when we went there she fell in love and the rest of the trip was pointless. As I said, I never gave it much thought after I left. But when I went back I liked it quite a bit myself. I've been back several more times for short trips the last few years. As soon as we sell this place, we're on our way.

What I like is the town is pretty flat, but mountains are right there. I mean out the window or door. Not walking distance, but the view is fascinating. It's not a big place (30-something thousand people). But it's not far from more, about 70 miles to Las Cruces and 90 to El Paso. It has almost everything I need anyway, only lacking a Sam's Club (Las Cruces) or COSTCO (El Paso) for a few things. And maybe some possible medical stuff that I doubt we'd need anyway. The weather is wonderful to me. Winters don't amount to much. Summers are hot, but dry, so they're easy to handle. I love the clear air and my sinuses do, too. Traffic in town is nothing compared to spots where I live now and other places I've lived to boot.

One thing my wife really loves. You don't have to drive very far to get rid of light pollution and get an awesome view of the sky and stars at night. She's been all over the country and there is the first place she ever experienced that.

The only thing I never liked - and it's not that frequent if my memory is correct - is the dust storms that roll through. But I don't remember them lasting that long when they occurred. (I was on the roof of the control on Holloman when one came along and the people inside forgot we were there. I just happened to look up saw one coming at us and we got inside. Getting blown off that roof would have been the worst one I'd ever been in. The others I went through were more annoyances than real problems.)

Like you said, I see some tradeoffs on costs. But I've calculated all sorts of things in all sorts of ways. And I came to the conclusion that living in Alamogordo is going to be not too different for cost of living (including taxes) than what I'm spending now. The differences in real estate prices, property taxes and other costs actually put the city at the same or slightly below what I have to pay out now in Missouri (which recently stopped taxing my military and police department retirements - for now).

All I can say is stop by and take a look. Take into account that the mountains are minutes away, the distance to other things isn't that far and the weather is fantastic. Then compare it with other places you're considering. It's not for everybody, but I'm pleased with it.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:29 PM

Phydeaux3 thank you for replying. I checked the sir quality today in Alamogordo and its fair and windy this weekend. That would be my only concern, but hopefully its an occasional thing. I looked on Zillow and property is very affordable. The palm trees drew me when I first looked into the area. I have been all over NM, but it has been years ago. I have not been through Alamogordo. When are you planning to move there? We are retiring the end of this year to early next year. I like the fact that its a small town. We live in a very small town in Kentucky, but we are in between two larger cities, plus somer towns with everything we need. I like that kind of a set up.
NM would be a drastic change from here. But I am ready for a change.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:17 PM

138 posts, read 145,402 times
Quote:
Phydeaux3 thank you for replying. I checked the sir quality today in Alamogordo and its fair and windy this weekend. That would be my only concern, but hopefully its an occasional thing. I looked on Zillow and property is very affordable. The palm trees drew me when I first looked into the area. I have been all over NM, but it has been years ago. I have not been through Alamogordo. When are you planning to move there? We are retiring the end of this year to early next year. I like the fact that its a small town. We live in a very small town in Kentucky, but we are in between two larger cities, plus somer towns with everything we need. I like that kind of a set up.
I had hoped to move already. I had 4 possible buyers before I was ready to go. Only 2 panned out, and one of those backed out. Since then we found a problem we had to fix and we won't know if it is until we get some heavy rain in a month or two. Then we might know more.

I'm not sure about the windiness. I recall some winds, but other than dust storms I don't remember them being too awfully strong. I used to ride a bicycle all of the time to work and back and only remember a struggle or two with the wind. Except dust storms. Where I lived on base it was a straight shot for winds and dust. Even then I didn't have a whole lot of trouble with it. Just stayed inside a little bit and it went away.

Air quality there is what suits me best. Nowhere else in the country can my sinuses get the relief they do there. It's the opposite for some people. But for me it's ideal.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:09 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Alamogordo has the best property values in the state IMO and it has better housing stock as compared to other towns that have similar values.

Alamogordo is not much to look at but you have great views and sunsets. You are 20-30 minutes from beautiful mountain forests and an hour from Ruidoso (as mentioned, LC and El Paso are not too far).

Alamogordo also is probably the most temperate place in the state when you consider the number of total days where the highs are between 60 and 80 degrees. A bit toasty in the summer and can be a bit nippy in the winter but it is warmer than most anywhere else in winter besides LC. And and not quite as hot as LC in summer. But if the heat is getting to you, relief is a half hour's drive up the hill.

I think it is one of the few undiscovered jewels left in the entire country because it really hasn't grown.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Thank you for replies.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Alamogordo sounds like a good choice for you. I used to live in both Timberon and Capitan and went to Alamogordo a lot when I lived in Timberon.
It's a town surrounded by mountains. I love the winter temps. Not too cold. Yes, it does get windy at times.
If you want to hike in the summertime, take a drive to Cloudcroft up the road where it's cooler or take a drive up towards Timberon in the mountains.
Shopping for groceries has a few places and a couple of farmers markets in the area throughout certain times of the year.
If you're familiar with the Eagles groups all over the USA, Alamogordo has a good one and does a lot of stuff for the community.
I think it's pretty safe. Of course, use common sense. I'll say though that I've walked in Alamogordo in lit areas when it was dark and I felt safe.
The people drive pretty decent.
If you want more shopping, take a short drive to Las Cruces and a little further to El Paso. If you fly a lot or not much at all, I love El Pasos airport. It's a smaller airport and it's quicker to get through. Even though Albq. has a much larger airport, I prefer El Paso.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:09 PM

4,930 posts, read 3,043,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Alamogordo sounds like a good choice for you. I used to live in both Timberon and Capitan and went to Alamogordo a lot when I lived in Timberon.
It's a town surrounded by mountains. I love the winter temps. Not too cold. Yes, it does get windy at times.
If you want to hike in the summertime, take a drive to Cloudcroft up the road where it's cooler or take a drive up towards Timberon in the mountains.
Shopping for groceries has a few places and a couple of farmers markets in the area throughout certain times of the year.
If you're familiar with the Eagles groups all over the USA, Alamogordo has a good one and does a lot of stuff for the community.
I think it's pretty safe. Of course, use common sense. I'll say though that I've walked in Alamogordo in lit areas when it was dark and I felt safe.
The people drive pretty decent.
If you want more shopping, take a short drive to Las Cruces and a little further to El Paso. If you fly a lot or not much at all, I love El Pasos airport. It's a smaller airport and it's quicker to get through. Even though Albq. has a much larger airport, I prefer El Paso.

If you have a moment, why is it that you left Timberon?.
Am asking b/c I've sort of honed in on some property there, which I'm planning on viewing soon.
TY in advance for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico