Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 962 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Hope you are well. I am likely going to relocate to New Mexico in the next few years. Married with two small children. I'm lucky in that my profession has a shortage in NM and the state of New Mexico has positions open now in almost every big town. I've done contract work for them a few times, and I'm pretty certain I'd have a job if I applied. I've worked in Santa Fe, but not interested due to cost of living. The major places that have drawn my interest are Hobbs, Roswell, Las Cruces, and Alamogordo. Alamogordo will most likely be the landing.

1. Las Cruces is obviously the biggest of them all. Quite a bit of info out online about things to do there. But what about the other three? Parks, shopping centers, community events etc.? My wife and I are big lovers of local restaurants and culture.

2. Crime? The rates LOOK great numbers wise. I am coming from Seattle so at this point I'll take anything . But what are "bad parts of town?" I was looking and it appears the houses near "downtown" Alamogordo are dirt cheap. Is it dangerous?

3. Traffic. Does this exist in these towns?

4. Anything else I should know? Is there any other smaller towns that may be a good fit for a young family?

I'll be coming down for work this summer, June-September, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'll be posted in Alamogordo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:15 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Hobbs and Roswell can get bad traffic.Hobbs especially gets deadly oilfield traffic.

Last edited by C24L; 03-09-2020 at 01:37 AM..

Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Traffic in Las Cruces is getting worse but certainly nothing like Seattle. Give it 20 years though. I lived near Seattle before there was traffic and it only took about 10 years for it to become horrendous.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
There are some shoddy old homes near downtown Alamogordo. You wouldn't want any of them. Thankfully, there's plenty of nice homes in Alamogordo, too, and most of them are really affordable.

Alamogordo isn't crime-free but there is effort to keep it that way and the town is fairly Mayberry-RFD-ish for the most part. Don't pick up a chair and try throwing it at someone fighting in a bar and don't sell drugs (duh) and you'll be fine.

As far as traffic goes in Alamogordo, you'll find some, especially around 11:00AM - 1:00PM and 4:00PM - 6:00PM. When you drive near school zones you'll be required to go no faster than 15mph and they will drop a ticket on you if you don't obey that law. They take kid safety extremely seriously in Alamogordo.

The worst traffic will have you wait with 10 other cars at a traffic light for a minute. It's really not bad at all for traffic. You should know that many of the streets have pot holes that are gaping and you'll need to be aware of them or you'll drop in to them from time to time. Again, you'll get used to the speed you'll need to drop down to on certain streets. Really not a big deal at all. There is a Ford dealer, a GMC Buick dealer, a Toyota dealership and scads of used car dealers in town. If you have any more questions just ask away.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I think you leaning toward Alamogordo is a good choice.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 962 times
Thank you all! Still hoping I get down to NM for the summer. Crazy times and I hope the project doesn't get cancelled. It definitely seems like Alamogordo, or Las Cruces is it.

Really leaning toward Alamogordo, but hoping there is enough to be entertained. I would be lying if I said my wife was not social.

My wife also is floating El Paso, due to the size and work prospects for her, as she is a paralegal. I don't have a shoe-in job there, but I am used to an hour and half commute to go twenty miles up here in Seattle so if I can get to Las Cruces in an hour that'd be nice.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
NMCalls - yep, I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds, WA. After living/working/commuting in the Seattle area you will absolutely love southern New Mexico. Las Cruces feels at least 3 times larger and busier than Alamogordo, if not more, and going to El Paso from Alamogordo even to visit requires a bit of an adjusted attitude because it's such a rat-race with scads and scads of car traffic.

El Paso itself has many gems to explore and I like the city overall. Nice ta have a large city nearby for shopping and it's big-city amenities. I, too, hope your plan can still be carried out and you can come live in the great southwest U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico