Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 09:28 PM

13 posts, read 17,432 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Stargirl is a Disney movie that debuted last week and it was filmed in New Mexico. Filming is said to have taken place in Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Belen, Truth or Consequences, Moriarty and the Sandia Mtns.

Some fans of Grace VanderWaal, the actress who plays Stargirl, are curious as to the location shown in the last pic at this link:

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2020/...-location.html

The author himself does not know. Shown is a still from the movie with the character Leo standing on a precipice overlooking some flat mesas that are reddish in color.

Any NM residents on this forum have a clue as to the location of this shot? Think like a movie producer - the location has to be reasonably accessible to film crews, so I would guess its in a known park, rec area, etc.

Thanks so much for any help. The movie has introduced me to your state and it is a beautiful film made even more beautiful by the choice of locations used in the shooting.

leftcoast49 (ken Aldrich)

Last edited by leftcoast49; 03-21-2020 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Disney movie filmed in New Mexico now streaming
by: KRQE Media
Posted: Mar 13, 2020 / 06:56 PM MDT / Updated: Mar 13, 2020 / 07:41 PM MDT

"NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, a new movie shot right here in New Mexico is now streaming on Disney+.

The adaptation of Jerry Spinelli’s 2000 young-adult book ‘Stargirl’ was filmed in Albuquerque, T or C and Santa Fe. The movie follows a boy who becomes intrigued by a mysterious and quirky student played by 2016 America’s Got Talent winner Grace Vanderwaal."

Entire Article At: https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...now-streaming/

Old 03-22-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Disney movie filmed in New Mexico now streaming
by: KRQE Media
Posted: Mar 13, 2020 / 06:56 PM MDT / Updated: Mar 13, 2020 / 07:41 PM MDT

"NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, a new movie shot right here in New Mexico is now streaming on Disney+.

The adaptation of Jerry Spinelli’s 2000 young-adult book ‘Stargirl’ was filmed in Albuquerque, T or C and Santa Fe. The movie follows a boy who becomes intrigued by a mysterious and quirky student played by 2016 America’s Got Talent winner Grace Vanderwaal."

Entire Article At: https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...now-streaming/
Thank you.

a few more visual clues as to the general area can be found in this video starting at the 6:05 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1y-ZnPEYU

Some filming was said to take place in the Sandia Mtns, but I can't figure out exactly where.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 PM

I heard from another source that these mesas may be, in geology lingo, "permian abo" formations of red standstone.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
A boy becomes intrigued by a mysterious and quirky student named Stargirl and spends his time trying to know more about her.

Director: Julia Hart
Writers: Kristin Hahn (screenplay by), Julia Hart (screenplay by) | 2 more credits »
Stars: Grace VanderWaal, Graham Verchere, Giancarlo Esposito | See full cast & crew »

More Info At: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4858674/

Has six videos at: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4858674...f_=tt_ov_vi_sm

Photo Gallery At: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4858674...x?ref_=tt_sa_1

Old 03-24-2020, 01:30 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,459,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast49 View Post
I heard from another source that these mesas may be, in geology lingo, "permian abo" formations of red standstone.
It looks like Western New Mexico to me. The rocks resemble some of the formations on the To'hajiilee Navajo Reservation, most famously seen in several episodes of Breaking Bad. There are other locations further west along I-40 between Laguna and Gallup that could fit the bill.
Edit: Page 7 of this official production notes document would seem to confirm it's To'hajiilee.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
It looks like Western New Mexico to me. The rocks resemble some of the formations on the To'hajiilee Navajo Reservation, most famously seen in several episodes of Breaking Bad. There are other locations further west along I-40 between Laguna and Gallup that could fit the bill.
Edit: Page 7 of this official production notes document would seem to confirm it's To'hajiilee.
Yes, this is it! Congratulations and thanks so much! I think I have located in Google Maps the exact spot where Stargirl and Leo stand. Thanks again! Mystery solved...there is also a video on youtube where the area is visited by fans of Breaking Bad.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is it! Congratulations and thanks so much! I think I have located in Google Maps the exact spot where Stargirl and Leo stand. Thanks again! Mystery solved...there is also a video on youtube where the area is visited by fans of Breaking Bad.
No problem, glad I could help! To'hajiilee is special because it supplies that red rock high-desert scenery but is still super-accessible: probably less than a half-hour from Albuquerque and right off the highway.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 4,355,082 times
Quote:

With permission, of course, if its on the reservation?

Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
With permission, of course, if its on the reservation?
Good question. I don't think the Navajos are as strict about that as the Pueblos are (they have a much, much larger land base, for one thing), but it's good to do some research into how to be a respectful guest anyway.

Here are some protocols for visiting the Navajo Nation I found online. To sum up: no guns, no alcohol, no offroading or rock climbing, obey "off limits" signs, and stick to the paved roads unless you really, really know where you're going.

When I've been on the Navajo Nation for work, we've also been asked to check in at the local Chapter House when visiting areas that are off of the main roads. That's probably good advice at To'hajiilee too, and might be a good way to find out if there are filming locations you can easily access without worrying about getting lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico