U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 06:02 PM

87,830 posts, read 81,562,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Governor Luján-Grisham yesterday issued a new public health order to take effect May 16 (called Phase 1), allowing some businesses to reopen in a limited fashion and requiring the use of masks in public spaces, both indoors and outdoors, not including eating, drinking, or exercising. Additional lifting of restrictions (part 2 of Phase 1) may take place in early June.

Three counties will not be able to start Phase 1 yet due to increasing infection rates: McKinley, San Juan, and Cibola.

“As the state opens up and our risk increases, the only way we save lives and keep the gating criteria where it is is if we’re all wearing face coverings,” the governor said. “It’s not a guarantee against the virus, but it really helps slow the spread, and that’s why we’re mandating it.”

"A recent study found that if 80 percent of us adopt a simple homemade face mask, we could reduce deaths from COVID-19 by 17-45 percent over two months."

https://cv.nmhealth.org/2020/05/13/s...rder-extended/

I don't know if customers not wearing masks will be prevented from entering buildings. I still see a few people not wearing coverings at grocery stores.
The co-op doesn't stop people, if they're not wearing a mask. I just went to a UPS Store, and they told me I couldn't come in without a mask, but I had my scarf around my neck; I'd just forgotten to put it on. So I did, and they let me in. It seems to be up to each business, as to how strictly they'll enforce mask-wearing, but that may change as soon as the new order goes into effect.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,486,777 times
10 cases, 4% increase in DA County.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:36 PM

24,675 posts, read 17,902,464 times
Very disturbing:

“Coronavirus cases are increasing amongst children in New Mexico.

"In children pay attention to abdominal symptoms, or nausea and vomitting," said David R. Scrase, secretary of the New Mexico Human Services Department.

The state says New Mexico now with the 2nd highest rate of COVID-19 infections amongst children in the country.

"We're at 13 percent. The U.S. average is 3.2 percent, so the infection rate in children in New Mexico is 4 times higher," Scrase said.“

https://www.koat.com/article/nm-has-...untry/32481658

Old 05-16-2020, 05:25 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,497,536 times
Today's new cases don't look good for McKinley, San Juan, Doña Ana, Roosevelt, and Santa Fe counties, but a single day's snapshot doesn't say much. Here is today's breakdown:

14 new cases in Bernalillo County
1 new case in Cibola County
4 new cases in Curry County
16 new cases in Doña Ana County
1 new case in Lincoln County
77 new cases in McKinley County
1 new case in Otero County
1 new case in Rio Arriba County
12 new cases in Roosevelt County
5 new cases in Sandoval County
42 new cases in San Juan County
1 new case in San Miguel County
8 new cases in Santa Fe County
1 new cases in Valencia County
2 new cases among federal detainees at the ICE Otero County Processing Center
4 new cases among individuals held by federal agencies at the Otero County Prison Facility

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM

Oh, Las Cruces. People just don't get it.

I was in a store the other day, hoping to buy something essential to maintaining good health during the pandemic. Someone has to hand it to you from behind a counter. The young lady behind the counter was wearing a mask. She reached up, pulled the mask away from her face several inches, sneezed 3-5 times rapidly at the now-useless mask and awkwardly tried to cover her mouth with her hands holding the mask, then she put the mask back on. I stood there for a few seconds in utter disbelief, and walked out.

Simply unbelievable. i wonder what she thought the mask was for?

Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 AM

87,830 posts, read 81,562,175 times
I wonder what, exactly, is going on over there in San Juan and McKinley counties? Are people not wearing masks, or are there a lot of people, that live together in extended-family units, making it difficult to self-isolate? Is there anyone from the state health/human services dept. co-ordinating with the tribes and communities, to figure out how to mitigate this high rate of spread?

OK, here's one report from late April. A doctor says, there's a high percentage of people with underlying health conditions, mainly diabetes, but also obesity can be a factor making people vulnerable.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...tions/5712990/

Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 AM

33,552 posts, read 22,423,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder what, exactly, is going on over there in San Juan and McKinley counties? Are people not wearing masks, or are there a lot of people, that live together in extended-family units, making it difficult to self-isolate? Is there anyone from the state health/human services dept. co-ordinating with the tribes and communities, to figure out how to mitigate this high rate of spread?

OK, here's one report from late April. A doctor says, there's a high percentage of people with underlying health conditions, mainly diabetes, but also obesity can be a factor making people vulnerable.

both have high indian populations - ~38% for san juan, 73% for mckinley.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 PM

3,577 posts, read 3,178,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
both have high indian populations - ~38% for san juan, 73% for mckinley.
Just based on what I've read in the AJ, 40-45% of the deaths in those counties have been in nursing homes.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

All of the above and some tribal members don't even have running water, from what I've heard, so sanitation is not what you'd want.

And if it anything like Las Cruces, you can't buy hand sanitzer gel.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:38 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,497,536 times
May 19:
"Gov. strikes back at GOP state senators urging lifting of health orders"

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham refused Republican state senators’ calls to fully reopen the economy Tuesday, blasting their demands as “reckless” and “anti-scientific bluster.”

Thirteen of New Mexico’s 16 Republican state senators sent a letter to the governor Monday urging her to completely lift all public health orders by Wednesday morning.

They argued the impact of the novel coronavirus has not “risen to the levels initially thought by many experts.”

Lujan Grisham lambasted the senators’ demands as an “utter failure and unflinching surrender to the virus ravaging our communities” and rejected the notion the current U.S. COVID-19 death toll of approximately 90,000 people could be conceived of as a “mild or moderate outcome.”

In New Mexico, the Governor’s Office reported Tuesday that 276 New Mexicans had died from the respiratory illness.

“Your reckless demand for a full-scale ‘re-opening,’ ” the governor wrote, “serves only to inflame misinformed public opinion, which is to risk further illness and likely death, death that will be lonely and all the more tragic because it was and is within our power to prevent.”

Full article:

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...9039acc8e.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico