Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM

104 posts, read 111,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I don't get why New Mexico has basically the strictest travel restriction laws outside of NY and NJ.

You have to quarantine for the duration of your hotel stay or for fourteen days, whichever is shorter? Gee whiz, Georgia has five times as many people as NM and the world's busiest airport and they're not cracking down like that! Nor are Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, or even Colorado! All of which have several times as many people as NM and bigger cities! Just the Kingdom of Saudi New Mexico, the island of draconian covid restrictions!
I believe the early cases of COVID-19 in NM were traced to air travel. Later, new cases were found to be due to people driving out of state, getting infected, then returning. So the quarantine requirement was extended to car travel as well as air travel. I wouldn't follow the lead of AZ, TX or CO given their rates of infection - they would probably benefit from being a little more draconian. Georgia now has over 200K cases and after a recent dip, now just reported 2,500 new cases in one day. Hardly an endorsement for their COVID-19 management. Texas was requiring people arriving by air from certain states to follow the same quarantine procedure as NM - I would be surprised if they have rescinded that order. It wouldn't surprise me if other states were requiring people flying from TX to quarantine.

A spike in cases in Dona Ana county was suspected to be due to people traveling back & forth to El Paso and we've been asked not to travel there.

The size of the population & cities is irrelevant - the issue is preventing more COVID-19 being brought into the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 02:10 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
I don't get why New Mexico has basically the strictest travel restriction laws outside of NY and NJ.

You have to quarantine for the duration of your hotel stay or for fourteen days, whichever is shorter? Gee whiz, Georgia has five times as many people as NM and the world's busiest airport and they're not cracking down like that! Nor are Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, or even Colorado! All of which have several times as many people as NM and bigger cities! Just the Kingdom of Saudi New Mexico, the island of draconian covid restrictions!
Maybe because they have a native Indian population which is susceptible to this disease and want to avoid spread among the reservations? And the reservations have a weak healthcare network? As well as a spike in cases last month?

Why are you here questioning governor's decision to protect the population? Gee whiz...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-07-2020 at 02:20 AM..

Old 08-07-2020, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Maybe because they have a native Indian population which is susceptible to this disease and want to avoid spread among the reservations? And the reservations have a weak healthcare network? As well as a spike in cases last month?

Why are you here questioning governor's decision to protect the population? Gee whiz...
I agree with you. Maybe some of us do wonder, but the decision is up to each states leadership and unless it directly affects someone it is no ones business how each state handles this problem or any other problem for that matter.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Oklahoma has tons of American Indian reservations too, and has been nowhere as Draconian as New Mexico.

Hawaii is as isolated as it gets, and they've been seeing a big spike.

A lot of the spike in the Southeast could be because it's hit and people use more air conditioning and head indoors, and AC systems spread Covid. People are going to stay indoors and use more AC in hot areas regardless of whether or not you have strict travel restrictions and strict lockdown.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Our STATE PARKS ARE open to all people and believe you me there are more NMexico and Texas people than us Okies at times. I've been irritated a few time of not getting a spot. The point is we do have Corvic as you do in NM but been able to handle all the businesses open and greeting out of townee too. It is how you do it. Going to the gym isn't quite as much as before but it is safe. Wearing of masks seems to be here and there and I'm one for it.

MY POINT is your State is losing a lot of business that you'll need. I have given up two vacations in your State. I changed to Colorado. Now I do have reservations for the month of October in Chama NM. Hopefully the 14 day quarantine will be done or else that is a cancel too. Kind of feel sorry for people who own cabin rentals, they are in trouble.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Our STATE PARKS ARE open to all people and believe you me there are more NMexico and Texas people than us Okies at times. I've been irritated a few time of not getting a spot. The point is we do have Corvic as you do in NM but been able to handle all the businesses open and greeting out of townee too. It is how you do it. Going to the gym isn't quite as much as before but it is safe. Wearing of masks seems to be here and there and I'm one for it.

MY POINT is your State is losing a lot of business that you'll need. I have given up two vacations in your State. I changed to Colorado. Now I do have reservations for the month of October in Chama NM. Hopefully the 14 day quarantine will be done or else that is a cancel too. Kind of feel sorry for people who own cabin rentals, they are in trouble.
Exactly. Colorado also has a Democrat governor, but at least he was sane enough to reopen fairly quickly. And no, they haven't seen a massive surge, despite having almost three times the population as New Mexico, and also having a huge international airport.

Thankfully, I had no desire to vacation in NM even before the quarantine. Thankfully, I vacationed in TN and NC where they aren't so draconian.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:32 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Oklahoma has tons of American Indian reservations too, and has been nowhere as Draconian as New Mexico.

Hawaii is as isolated as it gets, and they've been seeing a big spike.

A lot of the spike in the Southeast could be because it's hit and people use more air conditioning and head indoors, and AC systems spread Covid. People are going to stay indoors and use more AC in hot areas regardless of whether or not you have strict travel restrictions and strict lockdown.
Oklahoma has a Republican governor. New Mexico has a Democratic governor. Those states with Democratic governors have tended to have stricter lockdowns. So this was the point of your posting???

I like how you ask the question and then try to explain it yourself in another post... It's obvious your just hear to argue then move the goalposts. Just like your thread about whether men or women can be more frugal.

Turn on your AC, please!

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-07-2020 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-07-2020, 01:56 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Sorry Governor Grisham, am not postponing buying land I need to visit first in your state; as this is time sensitive.
And asking me to pay an extra thousand to hole up in some hotel room for 2 weeks just isn't happening.
But I will wear a mask.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
One reason the U.S. has lagged way behind other developed nations in controlling this virus is that people are traveling around too much, taking the virus with them, and not taking it seriously. This in turn ends up hurting the economy more in the long run. Since New Mexico is a tourist destination situated between hotspots like Texas and Arizona, which have much larger populations, we need to be extra cautious and discourage travel from those places. We don't want tourists bringing the virus with them, interacting with people here, and then ending up in our hospitals. It's really pretty simple if you think about it, the problem is most people are thoughtless around this disease.

Stay home, people. Stop being so selfish and Grow Up.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Does everyone in New Mexico have to wear a mask?
Yes. Individuals are required to wear a face covering or mask in public spaces except when eating, drinking, or unless otherwise advised by a health care provider.
https://www.newmexico.org/industry/r...19-impact-faq/

In your car, walking your dog alone?...that's a bit over the top.

Nobody in their right mind would be playing tourist, everything's closed; including national parks.
They are checking license plates and ID's upon entering.

Colorado is cleaning up on tourism $$ this year, should have banned travel from hot states only.
Gee I'm real sorry I planned on moving to your state before Covid, I should be more unselfish; and put my life on hold for however many months/years this continues.
Not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico