Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 11:49 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,274,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
I was responding to Ruth4truth post, but someone I don't see it anymore....weird, may be this is a thread mix up.
As to mail being forwarded....my understanding that officially USPS isn't supposed to forward government mail, but seems like it depends on the post office and carrier. .
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it doesn't get forwarded. I'm having that problem with my drivers license right now. I moved before it came, and they want me to pay for a new one in order to have it sent to my new address. Utter BS, all to "protect me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 02:31 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,094 times
All of the mail I get from the VA is marked "Address Service Requested" which means the address is corrected and forwarded to the new location when possible, and a notice of the new address is sent back to the sender. If it can't be corrected and forwarded the piece is then returned to the sender. "Return Service Requested" doesn't correct and automatically returns the piece. Those services are requested and paid for by the sender. I only have government mail from the VA so don't know what other agencies might be specifying.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:16 PM

460 posts, read 231,864 times
If I still lived close to old location, I'd probably go to the post office and remove Change of Address and place Hold Mail order instead, and then, once the check is picked up from USPS, would restore Change of Address request.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:11 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
From UNM's Bureau of Business and Economic Research today:

"There's no question that the stay-at-home order hurts businesses, but at the same time there's a very significant risk. I think what could even be more difficult is if we go back to work too early. This isn't just a public health issue, this is from an economic point of view. If you go back and it doesn't work out and people start getting sick again and you have to go through a second or third round of shutdowns, that significantly prolongs the crisis."

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...925/?cat=13516

Old 04-28-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
All of the mail I get from the VA is marked "Address Service Requested" which means the address is corrected and forwarded to the new location when possible, and a notice of the new address is sent back to the sender. If it can't be corrected and forwarded the piece is then returned to the sender. "Return Service Requested" doesn't correct and automatically returns the piece. Those services are requested and paid for by the sender. I only have government mail from the VA so don't know what other agencies might be specifying.

I called 3 post office and got 2 answers. One didn't have a clue

The other two said because its first class mail it will get forwarded. But that isn't a satisfactory answer, because not all first class mail gets forwarded either. Anyway I'm going to take the rest of this to the appropriate thread I linked to above so we can keep this about Covid-19 in NM.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:24 PM

104 posts, read 111,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

I do think that those who dislike this president and Republicans are more inclined to want to keep the economy and our lives shut down.

I do think that those who enjoy free markets and capitalism are more inclined to want to open up the economy.
I do think that that you are wrong to make this pandemic and how to deal with it political. Your implication is that if you enjoy free markets then you cannot dislike the President or Republicans. WTF? There are literally millions of people who have lost their jobs because of this pandemic and would like nothing more than to go back to work so that they can afford to pay rent & buy food. A lot of those workers dislike the President & Republicans so your argument doesn't hold water. I don't know ANYONE regardless of their political affiliation who actually wants to keep the economy and our lives shut down - that is a ludicrous statement. All you are doing is mud slinging - painting people who don't hold your views in a negative light while making those who share your views the good guys. Give me a break.

I could just as easily say:

I do think that those who are intelligent, believe in science and look at how other countries are handling the pandemic are more inclined to feel that the stay at home orders across the globe have helped to reduce the infection rate and get a handle on this pandemic. They dislike it intensely and would like nothing more than a return to normal life but feel it's the best option for now. They enjoy free markets and can't wait to spend money at their local restaurants, bars etc

I do think that those that want to just open up the economy right away are more inclined to undermine our Democracy, ignore facts, be self-centered, oversimplify the situation and watch way too much Fox news.

Seeing as how you did make it political:

What I don’t like is a President who encourages his supporters to break the stay at home orders when his social distancing guidelines are still in place and are likely to be extended - these guidelines include following state orders. This is not only the height of hypocrisy, it’s dangerous. I don’t like Republicans who buy everything he says and turn a blind eye to his incompetent handling of this pandemic (and the country). His supporters in San Diego last weekend were walking around waving the American flag and claiming to be such good patriots whereas they are, in fact, traitors. One held a sign saying COVID-19 is a lie - this is the puerile mentally that unfortunately is so pervasive in the Trump Borg. Freedom doesn’t mean you get to do what you want when you want - that’s the thinking of a 2 year old. If that were true I could just walk into your house and take your stuff - that’s why we have laws so that my freedom doesn’t interfere with your freedom. So it is with this pandemic - you don’t have the right to put other people and the healthcare system at risk just because you want to go back to how it was before. It’s not as if the United States is the only country following this protocol.

There is nothing I would like more than a return to normal but normal isn’t coming back, not until there is a vaccine. That doesn’t mean that we’re going to be in lockdown until then, just that we’re going to have to take baby steps. We are in unchartered territory here trying to figure out how to live with a highly contagious virus (despite right wing nuts claiming that it’s a hoax). There’s every chance this thing is going to get a second wind this winter when flu season starts and no, Mr President, disinfectant is not going to help.

Last edited by NMTransplant; 04-28-2020 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: additional text

Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
I do think that that you are wrong to make this pandemic and how to deal with it political. Your implication is that if you enjoy free markets then you cannot dislike the President or Republicans. WTF? There are literally millions of people who have lost their jobs because of this pandemic and would like nothing more than to go back to work so that they can afford to pay rent & buy food. A lot of those workers dislike the President & Republicans so your argument doesn't hold water. I don't know ANYONE regardless of their political affiliation who actually wants to keep the economy and our lives shut down - that is a ludicrous statement. All you are doing is mud slinging - painting people who don't hold your views in a negative light while making those who share your views the good guys. Give me a break.

I could just as easily say:

I do think that those who are intelligent, believe in science and look at how other countries are handling the pandemic are more inclined to feel that the stay at home orders across the globe have helped to reduce the infection rate and get a handle on this pandemic. They dislike it intensely and would like nothing more than a return to normal life but feel it's the best option for now. They enjoy free markets and can't wait to spend money at their local restaurants, bars etc

I do think that those that want to just open up the economy right away are more inclined to undermine our Democracy, ignore facts, be self-centered, oversimplify the situation and watch way too much Fox news.

Seeing as how you did make it political:

What I don’t like is a President who encourages his supporters to break the stay at home orders when his social distancing guidelines are still in place and are likely to be extended - these guidelines include following state orders. This is not only the height of hypocrisy, it’s dangerous. I don’t like Republicans who buy everything he says and turn a blind eye to his incompetent handling of this pandemic (and the country). His supporters in San Diego last weekend were walking around waving the American flag and claiming to be such good patriots whereas they are, in fact, traitors. One held a sign saying COVID-19 is a lie - this is the puerile mentally that unfortunately is so pervasive in the Trump Borg. Freedom doesn’t mean you get to do what you want when you want - that’s the thinking of a 2 year old. If that were true I could just walk into your house and take your stuff - that’s why we have laws so that my freedom doesn’t interfere with your freedom. So it is with this pandemic - you don’t have the right to put other people and the healthcare system at risk just because you want to go back to how it was before. It’s not as if the United States is the only country following this protocol.

There is nothing I would like more than a return to normal but normal isn’t coming back, not until there is a vaccine. That doesn’t mean that we’re going to be in lockdown until then, just that we’re going to have to take baby steps. We are in unchartered territory here trying to figure out how to live with a highly contagious virus (despite right wing nuts claiming that it’s a hoax). There’s every chance this thing is going to get a second wind this winter when flu season starts and no, Mr President, disinfectant is not going to help.

Well said NMTransplant! Can't say it better. But "Mike" had been saying no need to wear mask or social distancing on CA forum over and over, denying covid, calling it a flu, etc, saying no one will make him wear a mask to a store, etc. Not worth replying even. Clearly either political agenda to promote or just denial of basic facts, while willingness to infect and harm others. (all it takes is asymptomatic person can sneeze without a mask - which can happen any moment - and air will be contaminated in the radius up to dozens of feet, possibly for hours, not to even mention breathing air out spreads the virus). Not worth even responding to. This kind of people don't understand reason, deny science and have no compassion for others, and have one thing in mind, for you-know-who (monster) to win the election.

I don't think there'll be return to normal in a true sense, as coronavirus will still be present in the population, with recurring outbreaks. Even without covid, I don't ever go to restaurants or hairdressers, neither go to public events since long time ago, but for one thing don't think I'll ever go back to the gyms. Home gym from now on for the rest of my life probably.

On another note, I hope Navajo situation is stabilizing. I heard weekend curfew had been lifted for the last weekend? They took serious restrictive measures and I hope it's been working.

Last edited by landlock; 04-29-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 AM

To add, actually, I think it's a different "Mike" on CA forum (as that one is on my ignore list, lol and I wouldn't even see what they post), but they're saying the same things, about forgoing social distancing and needing to reopen asap for the sake of electing the one whose name starts with "T" (name not to be mentioned around breakfast time!). And you're right, NMTransplant, mentioning disinfectant stuff...whose who insist on reopening and not wearing masks (as they tend to insist on it too), should forgo the right to medical care so administering disinfectants should be the only option they'd be left with. Ironically, it's the same people who insist on denying healthcare coverage and not making it affordable to everyone, very same people who insist on killing others for the sake of their right to golf and get haircuts and whatever, and not inconveniencing them with a minor hassle of putting on a mask in a store. Same people who don't even need toilet paper probably, because of how hygienic they're. By the way, I watched that horror movie aka the video of Grants mayor confrontation with constituent over reopening, what a nutjob, spitting and yelling, screaming God will just decide who will die, unbecoming of city official. There was a time when I naively considered relocating to Grants, but I'll make sure to never even stop there now, a US city could not possibly elect such a baboon, it's surreal! He fired city manager of refusal to follow his order to reopen the golf course - employees of that golf course did not want it reopened and be subjected to risk and be off unemployment - he should be sued out of existence, I hope it will be so at the end once people gather their bearings.

Last edited by landlock; 04-29-2020 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 12:00 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
I don't understand why Colorado's Governor is already starting to lift restrictions, when they've been hit hard compared to other Western states. I also feel (judging from the additional traffic this morning on my shopping trip) that people are starting to relax and get out more in ABQ. But the positive cases are still climbing, we have more positive cases in both CO and NM right now than ever before, yet people are impatient to get back to business as usual-- sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Margaret Thatcher summed up the conservative point of view when she famously said "There's no such thing as society, there are individual men and women" and that's the thinking that helps a virus like this spread, when people deny the impact that individuals can have on society because they don't believe in society to begin with, and they don't trust their government. In New Zealand they trusted their government and eliminated this virus.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't understand why Colorado's Governor is already starting to lift restrictions, when they've been hit hard compared to other Western states. I also feel (judging from the additional traffic this morning on my shopping trip) that people are starting to relax and get out more in ABQ. But the positive cases are still climbing, we have more positive cases in both CO and NM right now than ever before, yet people are impatient to get back to business as usual-- sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. .

You aren't imagining it. https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ard#scoreboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico