Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 04:30 PM

173 posts, read 118,362 times

Advertisements

Why are some stores unable to restock TP and other paper products when others do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 01:51 PM

102,062 posts, read 107,003,261 times
You can ask the store staff. Trader Joe's told me, that their warehouses were cleaned out already in early March, and wouldn't be restocked for at least a month! I've noticed that Walgreen's gets deliveries on Sunday mornings, but most of the TP and cleaning products are gone by mid-day. And it must not be a full re-stocking, because they've filled the TP shelves with other products, and only have a smaller display near the entrance on Sundays, for as long as it lasts.

The only stores that are able to get a decent supply of TP and other cleaning products on a weekly basis are the Dollar stores, in my experience. Some get deliveries Sunday mornings (again--ask the staff), others on Thursdays, I think. Even so, supplies are gone by mid-afternoon.

The Dollar stores seem to have a different supply chain, that's more reliable. I was stunned, when Trader Joe's staff told me the warehouses only get stocked once/month or even less frequently, so if they run out early, everyone's out of luck. Doesn't the US have its own paper mills churning out TP and paper towels? Or are those items imported, along with masks, hand sanitizer, etc?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:36 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,605,937 times
For anybody in Albuquerque zip codes 87102-87125 in need of toilet paper, Roses Southwest Papers has begun online sales of cases of 96 rolls of toilet paper for $45 (47 cents a roll). They will deliver to your doorstep within 1-2 business days of receiving your order.

https://www.rosessouthwestpapers.com/

This system has replaced the drive-up sales at their manufacturing facility on 2nd Street Southwest in Albuquerque.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 AM

9,340 posts, read 20,684,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can ask the store staff. Trader Joe's told me, that their warehouses were cleaned out already in early March, and wouldn't be restocked for at least a month! I've noticed that Walgreen's gets deliveries on Sunday mornings, but most of the TP and cleaning products are gone by mid-day. And it must not be a full re-stocking, because they've filled the TP shelves with other products, and only have a smaller display near the entrance on Sundays, for as long as it lasts.

The only stores that are able to get a decent supply of TP and other cleaning products on a weekly basis are the Dollar stores, in my experience. Some get deliveries Sunday mornings (again--ask the staff), others on Thursdays, I think. Even so, supplies are gone by mid-afternoon.

The Dollar stores seem to have a different supply chain, that's more reliable. I was stunned, when Trader Joe's staff told me the warehouses only get stocked once/month or even less frequently, so if they run out early, everyone's out of luck. Doesn't the US have its own paper mills churning out TP and paper towels? Or are those items imported, along with masks, hand sanitizer, etc?
No, outsourced to Brazil. We have an EPA in this country that will not allow bleach products (which artificially whiten the paper products) to be disposed of into the environment. Brazil has no EPA, and their mills do in fact belch out the chemicals into the environs surrounding Belo Horizonte.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No, outsourced to Brazil. We have an EPA in this country that will not allow bleach products (which artificially whiten the paper products) to be disposed of into the environment. Brazil has no EPA, and their mills do in fact belch out the chemicals into the environs surrounding Belo Horizonte.
Good grief! The public demands white TP, so the public shall have white TP at any cost (to anyone else in the world)? I remember back in the 70's some people were talking about how we shouldn't buy white TP. Back then (my memory is very vague on this), there was some kind of off-white TP, and I think (?) TP of other colors too. And this is exactly what it was all about. Environmentalists urged that we all buy non-white TP. I didn't understand it when I heard about it, but this is exactly what it was about. So, outsourcing, in order to get white TP, is why our national chain stores can't re-stock their warehouses more frequently?

OY! So there is no US-based manufacturing of TP anymore? Or is that the environmentally-friendly non-bleached TP you see in co-ops and health food stores? Unbleached TP has become a limited niche market?

Old 04-16-2020, 11:10 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,169,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No, outsourced to Brazil. .

Source please?

Old 04-16-2020, 11:29 AM

4,820 posts, read 4,725,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Source please?
This report states that about 2/3 is made in the US and 5% in China.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohn.../#61e191e369a4

Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 AM

681 posts, read 1,198,153 times
Procter & Gamble and Kimberly-Clark, both US companies, are the two top toilet paper manufacturers in the world. And Georgia-Pacific, another US company, is also in the top seven. Their plants are overwhelmingly located throughout the US....in Georgia, Wisconsin, California, Utah, Pennsylvania, etc......and they are supposedly running 24/7. The problem is not production, it's the supply chain getting it to where it needs to go.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 AM

4,942 posts, read 7,304,528 times
How can ABQalex post about a TP manufacturer right here in Albuquerque, and yet people are still asking whether any TP is manufactured in the US? Surely people in New Mexico know that New Mexico is part of the US.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How can ABQalex post about a TP manufacturer right here in Albuquerque, and yet people are still asking whether any TP is manufactured in the US? Surely people in New Mexico know that New Mexico is part of the US.

But you said the ABQ manufacturer is mainly supplying ABQ or NM, delivering cases of TP to people's doorsteps. What about the rest of the US? And if the ABQ manufacturer has cases upon cases to sell (seriously, who would even need a case of 96 rolls of TP, except a family of 12, or something?), why are NM stores not able to get any supply at all, or get such a small amount once/week, that they sell out within hours?

What's this about supply chain issues? The factories reportedly are producing 24/7, but those mountains of production aren't reaching the stores? WTH is going on??!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico