Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:58 PM

117 posts, read 129,126 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning a road trip from Arizona out to El Paso to destress. I was told that road trips are ok to take, as long as you social distance yourself and I know some people who are taking road trips. So, I want to drive out to El Paso. My only concern is that on the way back, I'll be turned around at the Border Patrol Checkpoint because of COVID-19. Is it safe to drive through Lordsburg, Deming, and Las Cruces? I know the way to will be fine, but the way back, I'm worried that I'll get turned around and I won't get to go home.

Please let me know what the state laws in New Mexico are. Do I need to bring resident documents proving that I live in Arizona?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Who would turn you around, and not let you back into New Mexico? I don't understand your inquiry, OP. What Border Patrol checkpoint? Unless you cross into Mexico, you should be fine.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who would turn you around, and not let you back into New Mexico? I don't understand your inquiry, OP. What Border Patrol checkpoint? Unless you cross into Mexico, you should be fine.

There is a border patrol checkpoint on interstate 10 just outside Las Cruces. Another one on interstate 10 east of El Paso. And another going north towards Albuquerque. Its funny how many Americans do not know that these checkpoints exist in all the border states.

I can't imagine they would be turning people away. I don't think the feds have the authority to do so. They are looking for human and drug smuggling.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:34 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is a border patrol checkpoint on interstate 10 just outside Las Cruces. Another one on interstate 10 east of El Paso. And another going north towards Albuquerque. Its funny how many Americans do not know that these checkpoints exist in all the border states.

I can't imagine they would be turning people away. I don't think the feds have the authority to do so. They are looking for human and drug smuggling.
You're right, they don't turn people away or turn them around. In a car, you drive through and a dog sniffs your car. If it doesn't react, you drive on. I don't know if they would someone driving a truck or van to open the back.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:05 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You're right, they don't turn people away or turn them around. In a car, you drive through and a dog sniffs your car. If it doesn't react, you drive on. I don't know if they would someone driving a truck or van to open the back.

I have driven through with vans and pickup trucks filled with boxes. For me its been the same as when I am driving a car. Usually I am just waved through. The most serious one to me is going east out of El Paso. I have had them ask me where I am going and if I an hiding anyone.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:40 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
The OP is asking about Covid-19 related restrictions. While people are encouraged not to engage in non-essential travel out of state, I don't think they can stop you. Texas was turning around a lot of people from Louisiana at their border, but I'm not aware of issues between New Mexico and TX, or NM and AZ. Since March 18 the state of New Mexico is asking anyone coming into the state from outside to self isolate for 14 days. You should find out from Arizona what their restrictions are when you want to go home. Honestly, IMO you should find somewhere in AZ to "destress" and not place an extra burden on State Police and border checkpoints.

From the AZ DHS website:

Under the Executive Order, Arizonans shall limit their time away from their place of residence or property, except:

To conduct or participate in essential activities, and/or;
For employment, to volunteer or participate in essential functions; or
To utilize any services or products provided by essential business services;
And for employment if as a sole proprietor or family owned business, work is conducted in a separate office space from your home and the business is not open to serve the public.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:09 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Please don't travel through New Mexico. It's not forbidden, but it's not desired for people from outside the state to travel through here, especially just to "destress" Be an adult and do that at home, where it's safest to be right now. If you still insist on doing so, at least don't stop while traveling through here.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:57 PM

You have to self-isolate if you fly into New Mexico. I read about that, and I'm not flying into New Mexico. It looks like I'll be fine. Also, things are starting to become laid back. I know I'll be fine. A lot of friends and family told me that I'll be fine and I won't get stuck anywhere.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:59 PM

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/202...velers-to-n-m/

This is only for air travelers. I was not even planning on stopping in New Mexico anyways.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Another checkpoint is between Las Cruces and Alamogordo on Hwy 70. I remember being stopped at that one and the one on I25 near T or C (has now been moved near Hatch) since the early 70s.

Sonoran, most of the COVID-19 cases in that part of the state are in Las Cruces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico