Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I think they are very reasonable but go there and find out for yourself, and remember the hidden cost of buying from non-local vendors. Buying local supports local jobs and an absolutely fantastic bookstore. Buying elsewhere hurts local jobs and a truly fantastic bookstore. Being able to go to the bookstore and spend hours browsing and reading the books in person is a service and an experience that Amazon can't match.
There’s nothing like it.
COAS is a treasure trove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There’s nothing like it.
COAS is a treasure trove.

And they're open again!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
OP, one thing not mentioned here too much is climate period. You did mention 4 seasons and yes, you will see the seasons much more in the ABQ area than Las Cruces. The summers will be a bit more enjoyable in ABQ as well. Maybe you might think of choosing a community just outside of ABQ. That way you will not be overwhelmed with the busy life in ABQ but will still have the proximity to big city life if and when you want.

ABQ will offer you a bigger selection of churches, depending on your religion. It is also much closer to wonderful places to visit like Sante Fe and Taos for starters.

I guess you are getting the idea, I think ABQ would be a better fit for you, not to mention Las Cruses isn't going to be a whole lot different than Midland in many ways.

If jobs are important and I am guessing they are not, of course ABQ will offer a much better selection.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Which city do you all think would be better for me?Albuquerque or Las Cruces?Thanks in advance, everybody.
I like Las Cruces, however when we moved here 20 years ago Albuquerque was the choice for employment for us and some other issues. We moved to Rio Rancho which is adjacent to Albuquerque, Corrales and several other towns...

We have friends in Las Cruces as well as parts of Arizona. The choice will vary depending on various issues...

Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP, one thing not mentioned here too much is climate period. You did mention 4 seasons and yes, you will see the seasons much more in the ABQ area than Las Cruces. The summers will be a bit more enjoyable in ABQ as well. Maybe you might think of choosing a community just outside of ABQ. That way you will not be overwhelmed with the busy life in ABQ but will still have the proximity to big city life if and when you want.

ABQ will offer you a bigger selection of churches, depending on your religion. It is also much closer to wonderful places to visit like Sante Fe and Taos for starters.

I guess you are getting the idea, I think ABQ would be a better fit for you, not to mention Las Cruses isn't going to be a whole lot different than Midland in many ways.

If jobs are important and I am guessing they are not, of course ABQ will offer a much better selection.

I agree with much of this but you don't think Midland is much different than Las Cruces? Midland is a flat, ugly industrial hole in the ground. I can't think of many places I like less than Midland. They have a nice performing arts center, where I saw The Moody Blues a few years back. I can't think of any other positives, but its so unattractive I've never spent much time there.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:43 PM

54 posts, read 43,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi New Mexico forum,

I am a young man from Midland, Texas.I have been thinking of moving to the Land of Enchantment for a short-term move for years and years now.I am trying to decide between Albuquerque and Las Cruces.I thought about towns in "Little Texas" like Roswell and Carlsbad but i figured they were too much like Texas to justify the move.I am afraid of Albuquerque being too cold because I struggle with the cold during the late fall,winter,early spring.I am a Republican for the record but I would be fine living in a more moderate area politically-speaking compared to my present location.I dont have trouble getting along with people with different beliefs than mine.I figured old threads would not help too much cuz they are outdated for my situation.

However, I like that has ABQ has the most amenities of any city in the state cuz its the biggest city in New Mexico.Its too early for me to decide on a budget for rent now.Jobs wont be a issue since I will be living off passive income whenever i live in America's Land of Enchantment.I am not interested in night life or anything like that because I do my drinking at home.

Some of my hobbies are going to church,reading,listening to music,watching television and movies and surfing the net.I only plan on being in your state for about a year.I have always loved New Mexico.I am a extrovert but i stayed at home even before the pandemic hit because i am frugal by nature.Church is my social outlet.I am not worried about finding a good church in NM.I dont have any kids so schools are not a issue at this time.

Its seem like I am more suited to small to mid-sized cities.I dont have much experience with Las Cruces other than passing through and being there on a few trips.I know I stayed a night at a hotel there once on the way to Arizona and California.I like how Las Cruces is less congested and has milder winters.I figure Las Cruces has a similar climate to where i live now on the Llano Estacado.I figured it would have similar winters but would be drier since its in the desert and I dont live in the desert now.I am wondering if I should ever live in New Mexico or just vacation in your state.I guess I will decide on that one later lol.

Which city do you all think would be better for me?Albuquerque or Las Cruces?Thanks in advance, everybody.
Well, I've only lived in New Mexico since last November(las cruces) and I will say that based on what you typed I would recommend las cruces over Albuquerque. yes, it leans democrat but from what I can tell most of the politicians here are moderates/ fiscal conservatives. Having moved here from northwest Arkansas it wasn't as big of a shock as I thought it would be due to the moderate nature of this place. Albuquerque has the biggest job market, yes, but crime is a serious problem in that city in a way that it isn't here in cruces. Granted, my experience with Albuquerque is limited.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I agree with much of this but you don't think Midland is much different than Las Cruces? Midland is a flat, ugly industrial hole in the ground. I can't think of many places I like less than Midland. They have a nice performing arts center, where I saw The Moody Blues a few years back. I can't think of any other positives, but its so unattractive I've never spent much time there.
They still see similar to me and yes, Las Cruses is certainly better in my opinion than Midland. Many years on our way to No VA from So CA son and I spent one night in Midland, and we have never been back. Las Cruses is certainly worth more than 1 night.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmoses View Post
Well, I've only lived in New Mexico since last November(las cruces) and I will say that based on what you typed I would recommend las cruces over Albuquerque. yes, it leans democrat but from what I can tell most of the politicians here are moderates/ fiscal conservatives. Having moved here from northwest Arkansas it wasn't as big of a shock as I thought it would be due to the moderate nature of this place. Albuquerque has the biggest job market, yes, but crime is a serious problem in that city in a way that it isn't here in cruces. Granted, my experience with Albuquerque is limited.
Interesting you moved from NWA to Las Cruses and we moved from ABQ to NWA 12 years ago. The crim throughout NM was one of the reasons we left, not to mention the politics. I think Las Cruses is probably a little more conservative than ABQ This is only my opinion. For the most part NM is pretty liberal even though many considerate a purple state. I get my views from being politically active when we lived there.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
I think they are very reasonable but go there and find out for yourself, and remember the hidden cost of buying from non-local vendors. Buying local supports local jobs and an absolutely fantastic bookstore. Buying elsewhere hurts local jobs and a truly fantastic bookstore. Being able to go to the bookstore and spend hours browsing and reading the books in person is a service and an experience that Amazon can't match.
Thanks for the suggestion but i prefer Amazon

Last edited by C24L; 05-28-2020 at 12:29 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 11:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Well, I enjoy the heat but the main thing im concerned about are harsh winters. how are the winters in ABQ???Also, i watch New Mexico news a lot and the crime level in the Duke City concerns me.I will be able to find a church of Christ in any city in the state according to a friend from church who is from The Land of Enchantment.I dont think Midland and Las Cruces are that alike so how come you think they are,nmnita?Jobs wont be a issue since i will be living off of passive income.I actually enjoy hot summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico