Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 09:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm one of those people who want to go to every state in the country.
Go for it. There are a lot of options. We have lived in New Mexico now 20+ years. The great Southwest has a lot to offer...

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 10:57 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Some people have some serious bugs up their butts. COVID-19 wrenching your guy's hearts too strong, or what? Hello!!! I was complimenting you on your spelling and grammar.
Ironically, because of the way your post was worded I think both the OP and I thought you were *insulting* his spelling and grammar...

Old 08-26-2020, 11:31 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Some people have some serious bugs up their butts. COVID-19 wrenching your guy's hearts too strong, or what? Hello!!! I was complimenting you on your spelling and grammar.

Bug off and go back to bed and get some more sleep, y'all. Wake up in a better mood. What if you were a cow, chicken and pig and all you had to look forward to was getting hacked up for your meat by morons? How would that feel to you?

okay I hear ya. Honestly, when I look back at what I type a lot. Most of the time I'm misspelling words. So I just assumed I screwed up somewhere.

Not used to having a random (but positive) post like that in the middle of a discussion for New Mexico

Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Having lived to NM, I've visited many times. I cant say there is anything that is just great. The best is Carlsbad Caverns. The other thing thats interesting, but not a wow experience is Los Alamos. Other than those, there isn't much. You could make a winter trip by staying out of Northern NM. Go to CarlsbadC and then head into TX. Imho, the best area to visit in TX is Fredricksburg. You could make all that in one trip.
What do you like about Fredericksburg TX? I noticed it's near Houston which is another city I'll be checking out on a different trip.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 AM

So I checked out La Cruces on the map & I think that might be my best option if I did a trip in March (which is very likely) It's only around 5 hours or so from Phoenix which makes it doable.

Then I noticed White Sands is very close to La Cruces. I checked out White Sands on google maps & there are no street views! Never seen that before in a city. Is White Sands more about the national park than the city?

I really like the idea about flying into ABQ. Then driving south to La Cruces the say I fly in (3-4 hours I can handle that when landing around noon).

A few questions for a mid March Trip:
1. I know snow could pop up out of no where but let's say it does snow. Does ABQ handle snow well in terms of the airport & interstate out of ABQ (towards La Cruces).
2. Do any of these cities have interesting things? I noticed they are on the way leaving La Cruces towards Phoenix so if they were I could stop & check out.
They are Lordsburg, Deming, Silver City.

I can't thank you all enough as I've learned a lot from this. I'm really feeling the idea I posted above.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I think there is a bit to much caution expressed here concerning the risk of snow in March in northern New Mexico. Unless you are travelling very high, mountain roads, chances are quite low that you would encounter significant snow in March.

Santa Fe, at 7,000 ft above sea level, gets an average of a mere 4.4 inches of snow in March, and it melts rapidly. Heck, even New Mexico's highest ski areas have had trouble staying open for much of the last two decades.

With the exception of a few passes icing out, most roads in New Mexico don't close even in the depths of winter. And the few roads that are seasonally gated for snow are very lightly traveled dirt roads.

March is most likely to be windy and brisk, not a snowmageddon.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think there is a bit to much caution expressed here concerning the risk of snow in March in northern New Mexico. Unless you are travelling very high, mountain roads, chances are quite low that you would encounter significant snow in March.

Santa Fe, at 7,000 ft above sea level, gets an average of a mere 4.4 inches of snow in March, and it melts rapidly. Heck, even New Mexico's highest ski areas have had trouble staying open for much of the last two decades.

With the exception of a few passes icing out, most roads in New Mexico don't close even in the depths of winter. And the few roads that are seasonally gated for snow are very lightly traveled dirt roads.

March is most likely to be windy and brisk, not a snowmageddon.
Thanks that makes me feel better. Thea main benefit to ABQ is Delta seems to deal with this airport quite often according to the mock dates i put in. I put in the 18th of Sept (just random date) & got almost 20 different flights that could get me there. And this is in covid era. So sounds like they'll always be a good amount of flights to ABQ.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:31 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
You won't find street names for White Sands because it's a National Monument 10 miles west of Alamogordo.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
You won't find street names for White Sands because it's a National Monument 10 miles west of Alamogordo.

Ummmm....you should know better! White Sands is now a National Park! The nearest town (small city) is Alamogordo with Las Cruces also not too far away.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
What do you like about Fredericksburg TX? I noticed it's near Houston which is another city I'll be checking out on a different trip.
FBurg is really kool cuz its in the Texas Hill Country and theres lots of German/Bavarian heritage and culture there.Its not really near Houston.Its several hours away from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico