Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 72,613 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking at moving to Chama,NM. Looks like an awesome little town. My question is where do most people that work in Chama work? Do they drive to Pagosa? That's the only place I could see would work or Taos but both are 50 mins away(so google says). I'm wondering if there's a town that's closer that can provide jobs? I'm a secretary and would like to continue to be a secretary. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
You obviously have not visited Chama. First, there is relatively little year-round employment there. Even many long-time residents struggle to find work in the wintertime. As would be expected, pay scales are dismally low there. There is likely scant demand for anyone with secretarial skills in the area. Second, commuting elsewhere is not really a viable option in Chama. The road to Pagosa Springs is an up-and-down curvy mountain highway that can get severe winter driving conditions anytime from October to May. As for Taos, US 64, the direct route from Chama to Taos, winter conditions between Tierra Amarilla and Tres Piedras can be severe enough that the road used to be closed altogether in winter.

Chama is in a pretty setting, though the town itself can look pretty scruffy in many places. It's likely to stay that way just because it is geographically isolated and very economically challenged. It's been that way for as long as I've known the town--and that stretches back four decades. Like many small Rocky Mountain towns, Chama's biggest export is its young people--they simply have to go elsewhere to make a living.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
I'd move there in a heartbeat if my husband didn't think it was remote. Now, a week ago while there my husband had a pretty bad "fishing" accident and need stitches quick. WE found a Dr. Tong who works only when called in and he was. He stitched my husband under a blinking light, with no receptionist and couldn't do any insurance filing. You know what I love him and while my husband was being treated a few people came in because they could se the DR was in. I talked to them and enjoyed them all. I was the pharmacist who left a big town to enjoy Chama. The DR himself is a big hunter (all 5'3 of him). Obviously they could make more money elsewhere. NO YOU WILL NOT FIND A JOB anywhere near Chama.

Chama land seems quite high for such low wages. It has to be to because of all the vacation type homes.

When we leave Chama, usually at 5 in the morning because it is a 13 hour drive for me. There is cars on the road. They pass us because we drive so slow after seeing elk on the road! I take it that they are driving to Esponola which is probably 70 miles south but on a staight road. Wouldn't want to do that in the winter.
If we move to Chama it is for the beauty and way of life and will be retired and not in a need for a job.

are you asking about jobs because you would need one to live there or just wondering what the people do? I do have wondered.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have heard the jobs on the railroad are inherited. No surprise there.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Most are volunteers. My husband intends on trying to be one of those volunteers.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have heard the jobs on the railroad are inherited. No surprise there.
Just how many of these jobs?

Do you have a verifiable source that you heard this from, or just rambling?

Have you ever been there?

Just wondering...

Rich

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM

He probably fell in love with Chama as some of the rest of us without looking at the economy. The town seems poor. Not a good word to use but different than say here in Eastern OK, where they know they are but in Chama it seemed different. Although there are areas with nice homes but I can't imagine living in that climate in some of the trailer homes. Wouldn't that be hard to heat? Trying to use another word because the main street is neat with shops near the railroad. Last year I was worried about those shops but this year they seem to be thriving a little more. We took the train this year, we do every other year take the train for the full round trip. It was as usual always beautiful but a few days before the peek season for the fall colors. There is a home I dream about and is for sale but way too high for me at present. It is in the Timberlake subdivision north of town. The whole home and acreage borders Sargent Wildlife preserve. All you have to do is jump your fence and have miles of walking. Look out you windo and have thousands of beautiful acres to stare at. Next year we're taking the 10 mile walk on the reserve.
Can one tell I love the area?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhfricke View Post
Hello, I am looking at moving to Chama,NM. Looks like an awesome little town.

I'm a secretary and would like to continue to be a secretary. Thanks for any help!
We use to have a friend who worked in Albuquerque and went home to his parents place in Chama on weekends... I have been to Chama two times in the last 12 years...

As usual, I would highly recommend you come visit. It's not like moving to Atlanta, Dallas or Chicago etc (just picked those cities a random).

Most Common Occupations, FEMALES:
  • Secretaries and administrative assistants (10%)
  • Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
  • Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
  • Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
  • Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
  • Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
  • Cashiers (4%)

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Most Common Occupations, MALES:
  • Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
  • Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
  • Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
  • Carpenters (5%)
  • Agricultural workers including supervisors (5%)
  • Construction laborers (5%)
  • Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)

You can read a lot more information here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Chama-New-Mexico.html#ixzz1aXFmkdhz

Rich

Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Poncho NM - I read that comment in Trains magazine within the last couple of years. I didn't make it up. Depending on the time of year we next visit we intend to take the train the full way and back. Then we will take the road and get as many pictures as possible.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM

If the train jobs are inherit, I can see why. They live in the area and their families have been involved in the railroad. Everyone I talked to was a volunteer. But personally I do see that any job that comes up in that area should be to a local. After all they have lived there their entire lives.

I go to Chama every year and take the tain every other year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico