Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
So we are supposed to raise our white flag and surrender the freedom to live our lives?

I don't proclaim to know what NZ and Australia did. My only guess is that they completely eliminated all flights into their countries. Plus it helps that they are both isolated land masses with no borders to other countries. Not to mention that their populations are ridiculously small compared to ours (Australia has about the same population as Florida or Texas, while NZ has less people than Colorado) . The two countries are really even not comparable to our situation.
I'm living my life just fine, thanks.

Both Australia and NZ had COVID outbreaks and were able to contain them. They used the pandemic playbook developed in the US which the US didn't use. They did have to give up a lot of their freedoms, but when asked, most Aussies and New Zealanders claim it was well worth it, when they look in horror at how the US is struggling. They took an economic hit but saved lives. The US lost far more lives and also took the economic hit.

You want to compare Australia and Florida:

Florida: 21,000,000 population, over 10,000 COVID deaths.
Australia: 25,000,000 population, only 908 deaths.

Florida recorded over 9000 positive cases today, while Australia had 6. Australia is back to a much more normal life than we are in the US. So much for your "free-dumb."

So you think it is just fine and dandy that Florida lost over 10,000 lives in the name of "freedom"? That's the definition of sick and twisted if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:09 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

Good for you. As long as you are ok then keep the lock downs happening. I have a friend with a small business in Lordsburg, NM. He had to close for 4 months and since then has to operate at 25% capacity. He owns the building so he does not have to pay rent but most of his competition in town has shut down for good. He applied for PPP in the spring, got approved and still has not received the money.

2,000 have died of covid in New Mexico. I would bet many times that amount have had their lives ruined due to the shutdowns. Either closed down businesses, years of savings depleted or ending up on the streets. But I guess if most people are doing ok then and they are being spared getting covid its worth it.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good for you. As long as you are ok then keep the lock downs happening.
I notice this a lot with the pro-shutdown crew.
Quote:
I have a friend with a small business in Lordsburg, NM. He had to close for 4 months and since then has to operate at 25% capacity. He owns the building so he does not have to pay rent but most of his competition in town has shut down for good. He applied for PPP in the spring, got approved and still has not received the money.
Yep, exactly.

Quote:
2,000 have died of covid in New Mexico. I would bet many times that amount have had their lives ruined due to the shutdowns. Either closed down businesses, years of savings depleted or ending up on the streets. But I guess if most people are doing ok then and they are being spared getting covid its worth it.
Especially when it was originally only supposed to be a "few weeks".

Quote:

Florida recorded over 9000 positive cases today, while Australia had 6. Australia is back to a much more normal life than we are in the US. So much for your "free-dumb."

So you think it is just fine and dandy that Florida lost over 10,000 lives in the name of "freedom"? That's the definition of sick and twisted if you ask me.
Most of the places in the US are not doing all that great with COVID compared to Australia. No one is happy about that.
To bring this back to New Mexico, it looks like they are almost tied in deaths per 100k compared to Florida, the latter of which is pretty wide open and has been for a while:
https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...te-july-1.html
Again, no one is jumping for joy about any amount of deaths, but there are other states with far fewer restrictions than NM on that list that are doing better. Putting heavy restrictions/shutdowns on businesses isn't cutting it when people will just go and spend more time gathering in private residencies.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:30 AM

138 posts, read 145,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I notice this a lot with the pro-shutdown crew.

Most of the places in the US are not doing all that great with COVID compared to Australia. No one is happy about that.
To bring this back to New Mexico, it looks like they are almost tied in deaths per 100k compared to Florida, the latter of which is pretty wide open and has been for a while:
https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...te-july-1.html
Again, no one is jumping for joy about any amount of deaths, but there are other states with far fewer restrictions than NM on that list that are doing better. Putting heavy restrictions/shutdowns on businesses isn't cutting it when people will just go and spend more time gathering in private residencies.
Ah, but does Florida have breadlines? New Mexico has breadlines. So we've topped them there!

For that matter I haven't heard anywhere else in the US having breadlines. Maybe I missed it, but I think I might have seen something if it was happening. I think we might be Number One for that one!

Did AUS and NZ get to have breadlines? I doubt they were so blessed.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:32 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:

Both Australia and NZ had COVID outbreaks and were able to contain them. They used the pandemic playbook developed in the US which the US didn't use. They did have to give up a lot of their freedoms, but when asked, most Aussies and New Zealanders claim it was well worth it, when they look in horror at how the US is struggling. They took an economic hit but saved lives. The US lost far more lives and also took the economic hit.

Well, the US of A is a unique country. We have states that have their own liberties from the Fed. Also, Americans are a unique breed that value and cherish freedoms to go out to eat and visit with family and friends. Not saying it's helping our cause right now, but it's part of who we are.

We all gave that up for two months earlier this year. We, as a country, endured a two-month lockdown to "flatten the curve" and all the other terms the threw out there. And where did that get us? Back to square one. So people are fed up. People are tired of listening to our government leaders when obviously these lockdowns are not working in the USA. California and NY are an absolute mess right now with Covid cases, yet they have historically had the most tyrannical laws in place. Texas, Arizona, and Florida (who have basically had no restrictions) are not doing any worse. So I don't see how any of this makes sense.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:49 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Jerry's Cafe, great rellenos!

Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 AM

233 posts, read 276,585 times
Quote:

How many in Oz are over 80? And, in nursing homes?
That's the difference right there.

Speaking for my newly adopted country of Iceland - they never shut down international flights. Total cases
this morning are 5604 on a population of 400,000. Deaths 25.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:35 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Coronavirus: Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf says coronavirus approach 'has failed'

Sweden, which has never imposed a full lockdown, has seen nearly 350,000 cases and more than 7,800 deaths - a lot more than its Scandinavian neighbours.Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said he agreed with the king's remarks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55347021

Old 12-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux3 View Post
Ah, but does Florida have breadlines? New Mexico has breadlines. So we've topped them there!
Of course Florida and every state has had breadlines for months. Including near Mar-a-Lago:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-600-cent.html

Old 12-18-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
How many in Oz are over 80? And, in nursing homes?
That's the difference right there.
Wrong. Actually the number of nursing home residents in Florida and Australia is the same, around 71,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Speaking for my newly adopted country of Iceland - they never shut down international flights. Total cases
this morning are 5604 on a population of 400,000. Deaths 25.
They barred non-essential travelers from most countries early on. In June they opened up to tourists from some European countries and I believe they still do not take tourists from the US. All travelers to Iceland must quarantine for 14 days or take two screening tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico