Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 07:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Several people in this forum over the years have said they decided not to retire in New Mexico because the state taxes Social Security income. The Legislature just passed a bill that would end state tax on Social Security for seniors whose income is below $100,000. I wonder how many people that would affect?

Will this draw more retirees to the state? More than recreational pot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 07:25 PM

14 posts, read 38,659 times
It's something I'm happy about. I currently live in Virginia, and I am retired. I start collecting Social Security later this year. Virginia does not tax Social Security. My wife and I really want to move to NM and have held off due to taxes. This will be a game changer for us. It's going to make a difference to us.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:28 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
It's going to help a lot of seniors already living in NM. I don't think the legislature passed the bill to attract retirees to NM. It passed it to help NM citizens.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:01 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
Be careful what you wish for.
No social security tax might be an incentive for more wealthy retirees moving in and driving up costs for citizens.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:05 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Be careful what you wish for.
No social security tax might be an incentive for more wealthy retirees moving in and driving up costs for citizens.
Wealthy retirees aren't citizens? Perhaps saying "driving up costs for current residents of the state" would be more accurate.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's going to help a lot of seniors already living in NM. I don't think the legislature passed the bill to attract retirees to NM. It passed it to help NM citizens.
Well most NM seniors were not taxed on their SS anyway before this, since their income was too low to be taxed. This legislation would do nothing to help that group. It will help more well-off retirees who have other retirement income who don't really need the "help."

Old 02-18-2022, 11:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Wealthy retirees aren't citizens? Perhaps saying "driving up costs for current residents of the state" would be more accurate.
That has already happened, I can assure you of this. That, as well as the inevitable interest rate hikes are going to knock out what would have otherwise been first time home buyers on the fringe. To that point, I am referring to nurses, police, EMS, teachers, all of which are hanging on now by their fingernails. When it costs more to borrow money, the aforementioned in-state residents are going to be largely disqualified, and that's a damned shame.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:59 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Several people in this forum over the years have said they decided not to retire in New Mexico because the state taxes Social Security income. The Legislature just passed a bill that would end state tax on Social Security for seniors whose income is below $100,000. I wonder how many people that would affect?

Will this draw more retirees to the state? More than recreational pot?
It takes away a reason for people to not consider NM as a place to move. NM is maligned on a number of financial web sites for taxing S/S and this may remove that hurdle. We need to address crime stats and our poor education results that always seem to move us to the bottom of the list.

I also doubt that recreational pot is going to draw many to the state.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:15 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Well most NM seniors were not taxed on their SS anyway before this, since their income was too low to be taxed. This legislation would do nothing to help that group. It will help more well-off retirees who have other retirement income who don't really need the "help."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It will help both ways. I have seen comments where the taxation issue kept people from retiring in NM. I question whether most SS recipients are not being taxed although I would think that there are many who would fall into that category.

When I moved to NM my taxes went up because of the way they handled social security income -- but also because my retirement income from public service is fully taxed. My former state taxes were quite low because of that so there was a big change -- but not enough to offset the choice to move here.

NM has a lot of oil boom revenue that might go away at some point and taxing SS is "low hanging fruit" when there is a revenue crunch so we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 38,659 times
Save me a spot at the table. I'm moving there from Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico