Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:20 PM

11,093 posts, read 6,986,557 times

Advertisements

My real was driving on the main drag from the dog park out east through downtown by Trader Joe's et cetera, and on out to the I-25. Very congested. That was 3 years ago (not 2 like I first posted)... A lot different then, like Ruth4Truth wrote above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 01:57 PM

6,796 posts, read 5,110,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I was thinking of the Pacific Northwest islands. Or Port Washington or Sequim like Ruth said.
Pacific NW was my thought as well. Temperatures are mild. Of course the area is know for cloudy/rainy weather, but there's some considerable variation in rainfall amounts, around the Seattle area and north from there.

I haven't been to the area in many years, so my firsthand knowledge is out of date. There are some good discussions on the Washington forum, though.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Anyplace the OP would consider is pricey, because they are artsy liberal areas... Eugene, Ashland, etc. If I ever moved back to Oregon (which I won't because I don't like the higher number parallels) I would move to Grants Pass even though it is more conservative than I am. I love the Rogue River and the general area. Nice and beautiful little town.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:10 PM

102,291 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My real was driving on the main drag from the dog park out east through downtown by Trader Joe's et cetera, and on out to the I-25. Very congested. That was 3 years ago (not 2 like I first posted)... A lot different then, like Ruth4Truth wrote above.
Yes. While Santa Fe has never reached LA bumper-to-bumper-ness, it's gotten close during commute hours. And much to my surprise, it had become congested even during non-commute hours on several main drags. This is what happens, when you increase urban density without having the option to widen roads. The city outgrows its streets pretty fast. And REIT's have been building new apartment complexes, and buying up existing ones, as water becomes more scarce by the year.

This happened to Seattle in the 90's, after the city decided to preserve open space outside the city by increasing density within the city limits. They did not add light or heavy rail, or widen any streets/freeways/arterials, because there was no more room to do so. And now, 30 years later, the situation became intolerable. Then Covid happened, and it lightened up a little. But just a little.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:14 PM

102,291 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Anyplace the OP would consider is pricey, because they are artsy liberal areas... Eugene, Ashland, etc. If I ever moved back to Oregon (which I won't because I don't like the higher number parallels) I would move to Grants Pass even though it is more conservative than I am. I love the Rogue River and the general area. Nice and beautiful little town.
Grants Pass is beautiful! But it's in a high-risk fire zone. Driving through there, you can see all the dead evergreens along the highway. If the Forest Service and National Parks Service hadn't had their budgets slashed under Presidents intent on giving more tax breaks to people who don't need them, they'd have a halfway decent budget, that could allow for removal of that standing tinder in the forests throughout the area.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:20 PM

That's so sad. I know that Talent burned down last year (or was it the year before?). That area does get really hot in the summertime, especially Medford. It's really kind of an extension of Northern California.

Taxes are the price we pay for civilization. A lot of people think "someone else" should pay. Just who is that someone else, instead of everyone? And a lot of people don't value nature or the dangers Mother Nature poses. That will change as Mother Nature becomes more and more chaotic and ferocious, and by then it will be too late.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 738,916 times
Flagstaff?

Old 06-03-2022, 04:13 PM

61 posts, read 91,301 times
I haven't seen any replies from the OP in a while, but did anyone mention the Silver City area? That might fit the bill in terms of climate and artsy, and I believe should still be fairly inexpensive.

I would add Lincoln or Otero counties too but they definitely aren't even remotely liberal or left leaning, although I personally would welcome more left leaning people move into the area. Somewhere like Alamogordo is still very inexpensive and only a 20 minute drive from the mountains and forests.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:35 PM

I've heard Silver City is nice. It probably is cooler because of the mountainous area. Truth or Consequences is an artsy little town but it gets too hot there I'm sure. Bisbee, Arizona would be another interesting place.

I do think the OP wants to be near the ocean though. I do hope she comes back and updates us on her final decision.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 PM

16,161 posts, read 10,844,061 times
My fault with Santa Fe traffic is not the volume or congestion but the drivers. It isn’t a grid or a rational street pattern and many drivers are from back east or west coast and used to aggressive driving. When the light turns green, they floor it even if they are the third car in the line. That’s how I met the guy from New Jersey who plowed into my rear bumper. He assured me no damage was done without getting out of his car so I guess it was okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico