Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 06:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Those of you who are recommending Oregon obviously aren't aware that this place is on fire every summer, and it's only going to keep getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My fault with Santa Fe traffic is not the volume or congestion but the drivers. It isn’t a grid or a rational street pattern and many drivers are from back east or west coast and used to aggressive driving. When the light turns green, they floor it even if they are the third car in the line. That’s how I met the guy from New Jersey who plowed into my rear bumper. He assured me no damage was done without getting out of his car so I guess it was okay.
You left out the number of local drunk drivers.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDoc54 View Post
only a 20 minute drive from the mountains and forests.

That are closed due to fire risk.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:07 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I was thinking of the Pacific Northwest islands. Or Port Washington or Sequim like Ruth said.
It seems to me your biggest determinant is weather, as you have very specific things that you know you want. So I would look at the national weather sites and look for what you want--I did this with respect to days of sunlight per year, amount of snowfall.

Then, once you have narrowed it down for climate, you can start looking in more detail. Seems like you may feel some pressure because of desire to sell current co-op while prices are so high.

I would not be able to drive an rv around by myself, but I could rent in a few areas a few months at a time. you'd have to store your stuff, of course, but it could work, once you narrowed the climate acceptables places down to 5-6 areas to explore.
Having survived living on Anderson Island, WA for a whopping nine months, husband and I were lucky to have escaped the laborious ferry (1-2 hour average wait), hundreds of AirBnbs (adding to massive ferry waits), cliquish, Stepford Wife type people, we returned to Texas and made 20k on our home in WA by selling it ourselves. Originally went there thinking husband's family would visit, etc. Didn't happen. That, coupled with a Sunday evening medical issue for husband (no way to get off island)...we made the decision to leave.

I wouldn't wish WA on anyone. Lived there 12 years, worked in Seattle, took transfer to TX. Husband in ill health is the reason we returned there. SO glad to have escaped!

Old 06-04-2022, 08:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Wow I am glad for you. That is scary, and annoying re the Airbnb's. I wouldn't be paid to live in Seattle or anywhere north of the 40th parallel LOL

Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startleu View Post
my bird's fine at temps above 68.
I just saw this now. Coastal Humboldt is rarely above 68! Even in the summers! You'd have to choose a location that's inland a bit, like Blue Lake, perhaps, to get warmer summers. But then, there's the rest of the year: 50's and below. In fact, it's 55 degrees in Arcata right now, as I write! And snow in winter is not unheard of, but it's nothing like the level of NE Coast snow, of course.

Coastal Humboldt is not the place for you, if you (or your bird) want warmth. People go there, in part because of the pleasantly cool temps. Can your bird handle cold, rainy winters? Maybe so; there's a flock of parrots living wild in San Francisco, and they don't seem to mind the cool temps, the penetratingly cold, foggy evenings and mornings, and the winter temps in the 40's and 50's (daytime temps. Nightime = colder). Though I notice they've staked out the sunnier part of the city. Still, there's fog evenings through mid-morning.

But long-time residents say, Humboldt summers are getting gradually warmer. Whatever. Good luck, OP! I hope you find the spot you're looking for.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-04-2022 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-04-2022, 09:52 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I just saw this now. Coastal Humboldt is rarely above 68! Even in the summers! You'd have to choose a location that's inland a bit, like Blue Lake, perhaps, to get warmer summers. But then, there's the rest of the year: 50's and below. In fact, it's 55 degrees in Arcata right now, as I write! And snow in winter is not unheard of, but it's nothing like the level of NE Coast snow, of course.

Coastal Humboldt is not the place for you, if you want warmth. People go there, in part because of the pleasantly cool temps. Can your bird handle cold, rainy winters? Maybe so; there's a flock of parrots living wild in San Francisco, and they don't seem to mind the cool temps, the penetratingly cold, foggy evenings and mornings, and the winter temps in the 40's and 50's (daytime temps. Nightime = colder). Though I notice they've staked out the sunnier part of the city. Still, there's fog evenings through mid-morning.

But long-time residents say, Humboldt summers are getting gradually warmer. Whatever. Good luck, OP! I hope you find the spot you're looking for.

I don't think it exists this side of 1967.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My real was driving on the main drag from the dog park out east through downtown by Trader Joe's et cetera, and on out to the I-25. Very congested. That was 3 years ago (not 2 like I first posted)... A lot different then, like Ruth4Truth wrote above.
OK, but Santa Fe is like a small country village compared to L.A. It's not even debatable. You can walk or bike from one end of Santa Fe to the other.

I don't get people who seem to think there shouldn't be any traffic wherever they are driving. Seems very egotistical. Do you ever stop to think that when you are driving in a congested area, you're part of the problem?

And I don't see how Covid has improved driving in Santa Fe. Another bizarre opinion. Maybe the gas prices have reduced the traffic and tourists somewhat. Which is good IMO.

Last edited by aries63; 06-04-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-04-2022, 10:38 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
OK, but Santa Fe is like a small country village compared to L.A. It's not even debatable. You can walk or bike from one end of Santa Fe to the other.

I don't get people who seem to think there shouldn't be any traffic wherever they are driving. Seems very egotistical. Do you ever stop to think that when you are driving in a congested area, you're part of the problem?

And I don't see how Covid has improved driving in Santa Fe. Another bizarre opinion. Maybe the gas prices have reduced the traffic and tourists somewhat. Which is good IMO.
LOL! to the bolded. That's funny, and---you're right! *chuckle*. But Santa Fe's traffic has increased since various "affordable housing" developments were built on the south side, and various apartment and condo developments have gone in around town, as well. Increased housing density = increased traffic density.

You don't see how work-from-home has decreased traffic in Santa Fe? It's improved traffic in most cities, nation-wide. Now, if you're asking, how Covid could possibly have affected people's driving styles, I agree, that could appear to be a non-sequitur. Maybe with less traffic on the road, people are less tense/stressed, so they don't drive as aggressively. People also seemed to be more attentive to what was going on in front of them, i.e. actually watching the road up ahead. But there was enough space between the cars in each lane, LOTS of space, that there was no issue with lane changes. Maybe with Covid causing business closures, some of the illegals have gone home, and taken their reckless driving with them. That wouldn't explain why the local non-Mexicans were on good behavior though.

I don't care why it's changed! I'm just happy it has, for the time being, anyway. I don't need to analyze it in order to enjoy it! Seriously, Cerrillos Road has been a breeze to drive! Yes, it's true. Along with St. Francis Dr. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I didn't say Santa Fe had become like L.A. I said it reminded me of being back in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico