Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 03:52 PM

97 posts, read 155,280 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Albuquerque, staying 7-10 days. I have been to NM several times and love going through Madrid, stay at Ghost Ranch, go to Taos...but then where for something different? I'm going with someone who hasn't been through that area as much as I have. I'm kind of over Santa Fe. I still like it there but am not into shopping like I used to. He really likes to hike and I'm not looking to do that this time as much as other times, so looking for some places he could hike, me maybe not. Just hoping for some suggestions for areas I've missed and that would be good to visit. This forum has come through so many times in the past and led me to some great vacations so hoping it works this time!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 04:28 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I haven't been to Chama, but I have always been intrigued about the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. I have never heard anyone who has taken say anything expressly negative about it.

https://cumbrestoltec.com/

Old 06-19-2022, 06:23 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
What time of year are you coming? Currently all the National Forests are closed due to drought and fire danger, or active wildfires. That will limit your hiking choices. Unless you're planning ahead for the fall?

If you haven't been to Bandelier National Monument you should check it out. Some parts are closed but the main ruins trail is open. Here is information for visiting this summer:

https://www.nps.gov/band/planyourvis...summer2022.htm

Old 06-19-2022, 07:34 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The time of year is important. Some areas are closed or restricted now.
A few places come to mind...

Southeast.....
Carlsbad Caverns
White Sands Nat. Park
Cloudcroft
Organ Mtns.
Salinas Pueblo Missions Nat. Mon.
visit Alamogordo or Ruidoso

Northeast....
Taos
Capulin Volcano Nat. Mon.
Fort Union
Enchanted Circle
Rio Grande del Norte Nat. Monument
Cimarron (St. James Hotel)
Las Vegas (Castaneda Hotel, Plaza Hotel)

Northwest...
Aztec National Mon. (Chaco Canyon if you have the time)
Ship Rock
Four Corners
(Mesa Verde in Colorado)
Acoma Pueblo
El Malpais
Farmington

Southwest...
City of Rocks State Park
Gila Cliff Dwellings
Very Large Array
Pie Town
Truth or Consequences
Silver City
Las Cruces

Central....
Santa Fe
Bandelier Nat. Mon.
Valles Caldera
Tent Rocks Kasha-Katuwe Nat. Mon.
Albuquerque (Balloon Fiesta is early October)
Sandia Tram
Petroglyphs Nat. Mon.
Bosque del Apache

Old 06-20-2022, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the info. I will check it out. We will be there in September. Can't wait!

Old 06-20-2022, 09:57 PM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
How about Chama and ride the Cumbres & Toltec Narrow Gauge Steam Railroad? You can ride the same route the other way starting at Antonito. You can actually drive to either terminus and ride either direction. If you drive to where your train starts, a comfortable bus ride takes you back to your car from the far end, or you can park and take the bus to the other end and the train will bring you back.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:06 AM

That's the second suggestion I've gotten for that railroad. We may have to do that. The first poster had never taken it, have you? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2022, 11:02 AM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
Have ridden it several times. Will ride it again. The ride itself is several hours long and stops in the middle for a nice hot lunch. The two trains, one from Chama and one from Antonito, meet there and so you either get to see a train arrival or departure depending on which train gets there first.

From Antonito, you start out on fairly flat terrain and then it builds into the mountains with bridges and tunnels and a brief slow look over the edge of the Toltec gorge (600 feet down.) after lunch you are in the Chama river valley going over the Cumbres pass and then down into Chama. From Chama it’s just the opposite.

I think you cross the New Mexico and Colorado state line thirteen times.

If you are going in September, get your tickets now because the aspen foliage is fabulous and the tickets sell out fast. We buy the cheapest tickets and ride standing in the gondola. Breathtaking views and very little civilization.

Have a great time on your trip!

Old 06-21-2022, 01:06 PM

Thank you for all the details. It sounds great. I think we will try to do that and I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico