Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 08:37 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I’m a Texan and I am against the Californiacation of Texas and New Mexico but many people against this also complain about the economy being stagnant otherwise. You can’t have it both ways.

I (the OP) am not one of them.

Quote:
Personally I am fine with Texas staying stagnant economically if it keeps out Californians but I wonder how many people feel the same way?

Our entire way of looking at economy is screwed up. Stagnant is more often than not simply stable and sustainable, which is what we should be aiming at. It also means affordable. Instead we focus on endless growth, which is never sustainable, often unaffordable for working class people and almost always environmentally destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 08:38 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
People from Texas have been moving to NM?

Oh hell yeah.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I (the OP) am not one of them.

Our entire way of looking at economy is screwed up. Stagnant is more often than not simply stable and sustainable, which is what we should be aiming at. It also means affordable. Instead we focus on endless growth, which is never sustainable, often unaffordable for working class people and almost always environmentally destructive.
Well, I agree with you too.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
People from Texas have been moving to NM?
Probably mostly retirees. I am sure lots of New Mexicans move to Texas too.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:41 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
They would only do it if forced.

Apparently you're unaware of the billionaires who are buying up land in Northern New Mexico. Land that has been owned by Hispanic families since the mid to late 1800s.

Oh but that's progress, right?

And New Mexicans don't drive 95 mph on 2-lane state highways in Texas the way Texans do in New Mexico, ya know.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 PM

Who would be "forced" to move to Texas and what possible reason could there be for thar? Texas has more big cities and job opportunity. A part of keeping New Mexico economically stagnant is expecting that some of the brightest young people will move places with higher paying jobs. Just like people from small towns move to big cities. People from all over the south, neighboring states, and really all over the country are moving to Texas... Thought that would be rather obvious.

Billionaires are buying land all over the country. Northern New Mexico moreso than other parts of New Mexico cause it is the prettiest and most desirable land.

Wtf does the land owners being hispanic have to do with anything? If they don't want other people to live there then they shouldn't sell their land....

Old 10-01-2022, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 5,503 times
I live in Northern New Mexico and what you see is really simple :

-Plates from CO : not a lot, and they are mostly just passing by and I guess they enjoy a bit of outdoor activities, wilderness and sometimes they buy land because it's cheaper than their state and, most of the time it's pretty much the same landscapes in Northern NM (Carson National Forest, Santa Fe area, Pecos, Chama, etc).

-Plates from CA : not a lot, but more than CO and they are not just "passing by", they enjoy a second residency and/or resorts, and/or are looking for places to buy.

-Plates from TX : a lot more, and they drive really badly, and they are here to buy land if they don't already have some. They just want to transform New Mexico in an extension of Texas and I guess they also want to turn it conservative because they cannot really tolerate that a so cheap and poor state like this one can be "so" liberal (which is not even really true).

Oh and you can take a plane from ABQ (or even SF) to whatever destination in CA or CO, you're sure to be with an actor or a producer or someone related to movie industry. It happened to me a few days ago (don't know who he was but definitely talking really loud about a movie set he was jut coming back from, and I traveled to CA two times with Jonathan Banks / Dean Norris).

Old 10-01-2022, 03:52 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey D'Haene View Post
-Plates from TX : a lot more, and they drive really badly, and they are here to buy land if they don't already have some. They just want to transform New Mexico in an extension of Texas and I guess they also want to turn it conservative because they cannot really tolerate that a so cheap and poor state like this one can be "so" liberal (which is not even really true).
They're also here for the abortions and marijuana. By the thousands.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:13 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
I live in Northern New Mexico and what you see is really simple :

-Plates from CO : not a lot, and they are mostly just passing by and I guess they enjoy a bit of outdoor activities, wilderness and sometimes they buy land because it's cheaper than their state and, most of the time it's pretty much the same landscapes in Northern NM (Carson National Forest, Santa Fe area, Pecos, Chama, etc).

-Plates from CA : not a lot, but more than CO and they are not just "passing by", they enjoy a second residency and/or resorts, and/or are looking for places to buy.

Oh and you can take a plane from ABQ (or even SF) to whatever destination in CA or CO, you're sure to be with an actor or a producer or someone related to movie industry. It happened to me a few days ago (don't know who he was but definitely talking really loud about a movie set he was jut coming back from, and I traveled to CA two times with Jonathan Banks / Dean Norris).
Jealous!!

Old 10-01-2022, 11:02 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
You forgot the Texans.
And the New YAWKers. Northern NM is rife with NY-ers chirping: "Oh, but it's a DRY heat! "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico