Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 05:46 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that! I always look forward to seeing rural NM scenery.

aries63, I tried to watch Red Sky at Morning, but the only thing i could find was a purchase, not a rental. I found a YouTube video, but the quality was poor. I watched the movie, but unfortunately the scenery didn't come through very well. Still, it was a good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 11:09 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, Beanfield was filmed in Truchas. I've been through there on various sightseeing treks. There's a pegmatite mine fairly near there were you can still find pieces outside the actual mine area. It's a wonderful place to hike, with gorgeous views over a hundred miles to the west. There is also Lepidolite in the area.

I need to look up that movie! I love elephants (my totem) and really like Tom Hanks and Janeane ("pick up the pace") Garofalo* I love seeing the area, and picking out places I recognize from my time there.

*Her line to Justin Theroux in Romy and Michelle's Class Reunion, one of my top five favorite movies.
I've never heard of that movie. I'll check it out. I'm a fan of Janeane. She's always reminded me a bit of Stockard Channing when Channing was younger. I don't know if you remember her.

Lepidolite! Another purple stone! I've never seen it used in Native jewelry, though. They usually use either sugilite, or charoite (if they can get it).

Old 10-14-2022, 06:14 PM

I searched and searched and could not find the movie you mentioned with Tom Hanks, Janeane Garofalo and the elephant. Do you remember the title?

Old 10-14-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
This has been some interesting discussion here about the northern NM films. It reminded me of another obscure but good film from New Mexico called "Off the Map" from 2003. It was a tale about an IRS auditor who visits a family in very rural New Mexico (off grid dwellers) who have not filed a tax form in over a decade, and ends up being "converted" to their quirky lifestyle that requires almost no income. Lots of good rural NM scenery.
I searched for that movie, looks really good but Amazon says it's currently unavailable in my location. I turned off my VPN and it still shows the same message.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:04 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Thanks for that! I always look forward to seeing rural NM scenery.

aries63, I tried to watch Red Sky at Morning, but the only thing i could find was a purchase, not a rental. I found a YouTube video, but the quality was poor. I watched the movie, but unfortunately the scenery didn't come through very well. Still, it was a good movie.
That's too bad. I checked out the DVD from the Public Library for free. . I liked the movie for the New Mexico cultural themes, and the way it goes deeper into more "primitive" local traditions.

Off the Map is also really good!

Old 10-15-2022, 07:40 AM

Der. I'll check the library. They usually have tons of videos, as you know!

Edit: none of my libraries have Off the Map. Not even the big metro library with several branches.

I can buy it from ebay for either $5.95 or $6.99 plus shipping. Ugh! Don't know what's up with that. Was it that obscure??

Well..... the review "dazzling cinematography by Juan Ruiz Anchia" sold me. Can't get enough of that northern New Mexico landscape.

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-15-2022 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-15-2022, 07:54 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Der. I'll check the library. They usually have tons of videos, as you know!

Edit: none of my libraries have Off the Map. Not even the big metro library with several branches.

I can buy it from ebay for either $5.95 or $6.99 plus shipping. Ugh! Don't know what's up with that. Was it that obscure??
Yes, quite obscure, matching the title. I found Off the Map on Amazon Video:
https://www.amazon.com/Off-Map-J-D-H.../dp/B00855O72E

Old 10-15-2022, 08:27 AM

Yes, but it's unavailable to watch. That's why I checked elsewhere. Seems very odd that a highly-rated movie is so unavailable. Even Roger Ebert loved it back in the day.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:32 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I searched and searched and could not find the movie you mentioned with Tom Hanks, Janeane Garofalo and the elephant. Do you remember the title?
Easy-peasy. But I was wrong about Tom Hanks; it was Bill Murray. "Larger Than Life", it's called.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:21 AM

Now we're getting into a situation where I'm not sure I want to watch it... not a fan of Bill Murray. Yes, I have trouble separating the man from his personal life, temperament, past actions and more recent actions. He certainly rides to a large extent on his Saturday Night Live legacy. On the other hand, I do love Janeane Garofalo and if it's a good movie I'll probably watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico