Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 06:06 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,466,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. I'm surprised the Times continues to supply W'greens, if few copies are sold. My experience has been, that they don't waste copy where it's not wanted. They cut businesses or locations from their route. IDK why WF stopped carrying it in Santa Fe; I bought it regularly. They only carried the Sunday paper AFAIK. Then--nothing.
Want me to send you a copy? You don't like the digital version?

It may be that ABQ is the last market in NM where they deliver, cutting out delivery to the rest of the state since distances are so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 09:14 PM

102,286 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Want me to send you a copy? You don't like the digital version?

It may be that ABQ is the last market in NM where they deliver, cutting out delivery to the rest of the state since distances are so great.
LOL! Kind of you to offer. I do get the digital version, and the print version on Sundays.... I long for the days when I could curl up with it every day, though. I mean, I could get a full print subscription, 7 days/week, but it's expensive, so Sunday's my day for that. A nice, leisurely morning with the Times in my hands, and hot coffee.

They do deliver to subscribers. They've cut back on their news stand locations around town, though. And sometimes they even short the 4 remaining vendors of it, only delivering a half-dozen or so to each. But demand is high in Santa Fe, so that leaves quite a few people out.

Anyway, I'm managing for now, thanks.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:13 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,844,607 times
Quote:
cutting out delivery to the rest of the state since distances are so great.
We have subscribed to the WSJ for many years. When we moved to NM, the paper was mailed to us. Then, for a few years, mailing was replaced with home delivery (delivered with the Abg Journal). 4-5 years ago, they ended home delivery. Now, we have to read the digital paper. The words are the same, but I really like reading an actual paper.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:55 AM

I meant the NYT may have cut out delivery to retail outlets outside Albuquerque (not home delivery). I noticed on yesterday's front page they no longer give the New Mexico weather report in the top right corner, which they used to do.

I also like to have a paper copy in my hands. In my walks around the neighborhood I'm surprised to see how many people do still have the ABQ Journal tossed onto their driveways.

I'm frustrated that the public library gets only the Sunday NY Times. I do sometimes like to read the ABQ Journal print version there.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:09 AM

282 posts, read 219,713 times
I subscribed to the Albuquerque Journal for over twenty years, since I was a teenager. I had a subscription to the Albuquerque Tribune as well, until it folded. At various times I subscribed to the New York Times' weekly and Sunday-only editions. I would take advantage of various offers and discounts they had and then cut it off once they ended. I could never afford a full-price subscription on top of the Journal and Tribune.

I finally ended my long subscription to the Journal in 2018. It was hard to let go.

I loved having a print newspaper at my doorstep every morning, especially on Sundays. My family had always purchased at least the Sunday Journal when I was growing up. It was part of our Sunday ritual to look at the newspaper and have breakfast together. We all had our sections we liked best. Mine's was the Real Estate section. I also loved looking at the specials/store advertisements and clipping coupons. I used the coupons to buy my favorite items and brands and the savings helped stretch my allowance for other things.

When I moved back Downtown to an apartment building in 2018 I realized it was gonna be a pain to try to get my newspaper delivered here. I had already been thinking of cutting my subscription for various other reasons. I never could stomach the Journal's editorial stances and the quality of the journalism had been going downhill for years. The content had also been steadily decreasing. They were getting rid of so many sections I loved, including the monthly magazines.

As I said, it was hard to let go, but I did. Now I mostly miss the Sunday paper and getting the paper on holidays like Thanksgiving.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:10 PM

11,093 posts, read 6,986,557 times
Your post brought back so many memories! I grew up with a local paper every day delivery, and the Los Angeles Times. I LOVED the Sunday paper. I really, really miss having that on Sundays, like others here. And the Thursday Food section in the Times. When I moved to San Francisco, the Chronicle was THE thing. Everybody read it, and not just for Herb Caen I miss all the coupons, the ads, the editorials, the special features like architecture, travel, science, real estate. It's a shame that the newspaper era is essentially gone.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:49 AM

I grew up with the daily New York Times, it was a fascinating window on the world to me growing up in suburban Long Island. I felt so "adult" reading it. I remember looking at page after page of want ads and wondering what kind of job I'd be applying for when I grew up.

I checked a Starbucks today in ABQ and they had no newspapers whatsoever, not even the free weekly rag. When I asked at the counter they even chuckled at the mention of "newspaper". But I know they did carry the Times years ago.

I have some kind of free subscription now to the NYT, from which I get a daily "Morning newsletter" emailed, but I seldom scroll past the top story.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where I live now, in the Denver area...
Are you keeping a pied-à-terre in Santa Fe, or did you pull up stakes completely? Why the change? An "exit interview" would be interesting. Good luck in your new location, although I know you've lived in that area before.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:36 PM

11,093 posts, read 6,986,557 times
Quote:
I grew up with the daily New York Times, it was a fascinating window on the world to me growing up in suburban Long Island. I felt so "adult" reading it. I remember looking at page after page of want ads and wondering what kind of job I'd be applying for when I grew up.

I checked a Starbucks today in ABQ and they had no newspapers whatsoever, not even the free weekly rag. When I asked at the counter they even chuckled at the mention of "newspaper". But I know they did carry the Times years ago.

I have some kind of free subscription now to the NYT, from which I get a daily "Morning newsletter" emailed, but I seldom scroll past the top story.
I feel sorry for the younger generation, they are missing out on so many GOOD things that are now obsolete.

Old 11-02-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I feel sorry for the younger generation, they are missing out on so many GOOD things that are now obsolete.
I don't feel sorry for them, since they take for granted so much that we never even dreamed of. We also miss out on so much that has fallen by the wayside.

Maybe there are other joys they'll never know, like going to a record store and buying an album. How quaint, now, but that was another sensory experience beyond sound (the look, feel, and smell of it), and we treasured it. I don't think there is much that is treasured anymore, it's all been drowned in a digital tsunami. We've made access to everything so easy that it no longer has any value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico