Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2023, 05:14 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

The studies showed that New Mexico is ranked as the worst state in the US to live in. In two other studies, one ranked NM as the 2nd most dangerous state in the US to live in while the other study ranked it as the 3rd most dangerous. It's also ranked near the bottom in health and education.
Quote:
One study ranks New Mexico the worst state to live in. Two others place our state second and third respectively for the most dangerous.
KOB doesn't bother to name the studies. These things are usually click-bait for selling advertising concocted by some guy in a cubicle who has never been to New Mexico or half of the states in the so-called "study".

Albuquerque has some problems but to paint the entire state as most dangerous or worst to live in is ridiculous. If you want to go to a dangerous city, try Kansas City, Milwaukee, or Memphis. Albuquerque and Indianapolis are fairly similar in violent crime ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:00 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Was there a link to the "study" that called it the "worst state to live in"? Curious what criteria they used. I rank it #1... I didn't land here by accident.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:13 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I can think of a whole bunch of states I'd absolutely avoid over New Mexico. But have at it. The fewer people to destroy the landscape and the mood in New Mexico, the better!

Old 11-08-2023, 10:46 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
As the New Mexico film scene explodes, people will more and more recognize it on the map. Hollywood is done for, it's Atlanta and NM and other places for where the film gets created going forward.

These ratings all kinda dip from the same well and put out weird things. Like Colorado Springs gets put on top a lot, but the caveat when you look 1 level down, the "economy" is only good for people with military experience and security clearance and the crime rate is just as bad as most of New Mexico. They just have a bunch of fed $$ boosting the area. Outdoors are a level up in Santa Fe or Taos than they are in COS. COS just gets Pikes Peak for killer photos .

I've said it before, but compared to what you can get for your $ in the rest of the west, in OR, CA, CO, ID... you will get a better QOL being in a better spot in NM than a worse spot in the other states based on what you can afford. It's just that the other states have a lot more $$$$ floating around to bump the averages up. If you can bring your money or income with you, NM is probably the best deal in the west outside of WY, if you're dependent on the local economy, it's harder, but not mangitudes worse due to killer COL increases in housing recently in the other spots.

New Mexico is still sort of the 'wild west' in a sense, without costcos and chick fil a. Some people will like that, others won't. Good to have some areas that don't have the US suburban template for options.

Last edited by Phil P; 11-08-2023 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-08-2023, 03:02 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
New Mexico is still sort of the 'wild west' in a sense, without costcos and chick fil a. Some people will like that, others won't. Good to have some areas that don't have the US suburban template for options.
Albuquerque has 3 Costco locations and about 9 Chick-fil-A's.

But I agree, we're still part of the "frontier", albeit a very old frontier, "remote beyond compare" (according to don Diego de Vargas), which means we lag behind the rest of the country in many ways.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:21 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
...we lag behind the rest of the country in many ways.
It's a shame we don't lag further...

Old 11-08-2023, 06:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Albuquerque has 3 Costco locations and about 9 Chick-fil-A's. .

We even have a Ruth Chris Steak House and Cheesecake Factory.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
stay way from NM ok ? its the only empty space left

Old 11-11-2023, 03:06 AM

713 posts, read 395,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Year round is different. I do think that Southern NM and west Texas have pretty good year round climates. A little chilly in winter with occasional snow but the summers are not bad. Not extreme.
West Texas/Southern New Mexico is too cold for me as far as year-round climates go.I much prefer somewhere like San Antone or Corpus or Phoenix but thats just me.However I do agree with many posters on this thread because I would choose to live in New Mexico over most states in the country.I think one of the big reasons why New Mexico is not super popular is because there's not a lot of good private sector jobs in a lot of the state.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 11-11-2023 at 03:51 AM..

Old 11-11-2023, 09:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
West Texas/Southern New Mexico is too cold for me as far as year-round climates go.I much prefer somewhere like San Antone or Corpus or Phoenix but thats just me.However I do agree with many posters on this thread because I would choose to live in New Mexico over most states in the country.I think one of the big reasons why New Mexico is not super popular is because there's not a lot of good private sector jobs in a lot of the state.
Any of it. We lose a lot of potential local, young talent as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico