Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 06:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times

Advertisements

Please don't hijack this thread with politicized remarks such as, "It's usually a dogwhistle term used by racists and generally scummy people". The poster who said "lowlifes" didn't even mention any specific race, so it's a big leap to accuse the poster of being racist--or worse, "scummy".

Lowlifes come in all shades and races and there isn't one specific race that's exempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 09:33 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Please don't hijack this thread with politicized remarks such as, "It's usually a dogwhistle term used by racists and generally scummy people". The poster who said "lowlifes" didn't even mention any specific race, so it's a big leap to accuse the poster of being racist--or worse, "scummy".

Lowlifes come in all shades and races and there isn't one specific race that's exempted.
I think it's pretty scummy and trollish when people pop into a forum and start talking about the "lowlifes" that live in that state. As they say, "It takes one to know one." I would never think to do that in another state forum. It's provocative and seems to imply we have more "lowlifes" than other states. Oh, and not coincidentally we're also a majority minority state. It's not hard to read between the lines. Please don't defend this behavior.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:52 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
I lived in small town and rural New Mexico for almost 2 years and never once felt unsafe. There are questionable people everywhere.

Like.... Los Angeles where I'm from or Phoenix or Portland where I once lived, or damn near everywhere in this country!!

I lived in Las Vegas New Mexico (hi aries ) where there is a strong city police presence, and also state police as well.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I lived in small town and rural New Mexico for almost 2 years and never once felt unsafe. There are questionable people everywhere.

Like.... Los Angeles where I'm from or Phoenix or Portland where I once lived, or damn near everywhere in this country!!

I lived in Las Vegas New Mexico (hi aries ) where there is a strong city police presence, and also state police as well.
Surprising that after less than two years here, you still take an active interest and have a lot of opinions about the state. It must have made an impression!

I just don't know what "lowlife" is supposed to mean. Someone in a desperate situation, struggling with substance abuse issues, mental health issues, not getting the help they need? Very judgmental term that says more about the person using it than the people they're talking about.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think it's pretty scummy and trollish when people pop into a forum and start talking about the "lowlifes" that live in that state. As they say, "It takes one to know one." I would never think to do that in another state forum. It's provocative and seems to imply we have more "lowlifes" than other states. Oh, and not coincidentally we're also a majority minority state. It's not hard to read between the lines. Please don't defend this behavior.
Well, the title of the thread was speaking of the crime rate in NM. Crimes are usually done by lowlifes which is hardly debatable. If you are trying to say that criminals are fine upstanding members of the community I do find that hard to believe.

And I refuse to enable them by making excuses for their behaviour.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Well, the title of the thread was speaking of the crime rate in NM. Crimes are usually done by lowlifes which is hardly debatable. If you are trying to say that criminals are fine upstanding members of the community I do find that hard to believe.

And I refuse to enable them by making excuses for their behaviour.
I'm saying they are human like everyone else and deserve help, treatment, and a second chance, not name-calling.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:23 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
I'm saying they are human like everyone else and deserve help, treatment, and a second chance, not name-calling.
I recall thinking the same when I was a teenager, it's noble in theory. I spent years around people like the previous poster was referring to. If you ever decide to act upon your sensitive sentiment, be careful, it's a good way to put yourself in danger.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:32 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Maybe not calling it like it is in your own state is the reason the crime rate is so high. They can comtemplate the errors of their ways while sitting in prison serving their time, as they should be.

Negative actions should have negative consequences, strong ones.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:49 AM

17 posts, read 9,598 times
I'm from Brooklyn. New Mexico is safe, trust me.

Old 06-25-2023, 05:32 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Maybe not calling it like it is in your own state is the reason the crime rate is so high. They can comtemplate the errors of their ways while sitting in prison serving their time, as they should be.

Negative actions should have negative consequences, strong ones.
Oh yes, prisons are bastions of stellar rehabilitation. /s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico