Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM

576 posts, read 2,311,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Either that, or free lunch programs..
Or the entire school is on free lunch AND free breakfast programs--during the school year and in the summer time. This was true in a southern NM school where I worked. The average income was $300 a month (in the late 1990s) and the school principal told me that many families had dirt floors at home.

You would never know it from the little children, though. They came to school with hair perfectly combed and were obviously dressed by someone who loved them very much.

However, when the book fair came to school they brought pennies. Most of the items cost dollars.

~clairz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,925,459 times
Poverty is a beast that harms children more than adults because the kids never have a chance to escape. I really believe that there should be free school lunches and, where appropriate, an allowance for books, paper, pencils and other supplies. Education for every child is a big part of society’s shared responsibility even if it costs the successful part of their stash.

BTW – dirt floors can be sealed and swept clean just like any other material. The important part is the kids were neat, clean and good tempered. Those families were doing their job.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:33 AM

118 posts, read 519,525 times
If I am not mistaken, the reason this elementary school doesn't have a lunch program is because the average household income disqualifies them (it is too high) from government funded assistance. I am going to do some research to back up my statement, but I believe this was what I was told when I enrolled my kids.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the reason this elementary school doesn't have a lunch program is because the average household income disqualifies them (it is too high) from government funded assistance. I am going to do some research to back up my statement, but I believe this was what I was told when I enrolled my kids.
Hmmm... sounds interesting.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,711 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
I don't know for sure but I suspect that they were BS ing you. The income requirement is for the individual kids, not the school. Any school is eligible to participate.

Maybe the authorities just didn't want to be bothered.

I am not absolutely sure about this -- if you learn something different, let me know.

But for now:

"1. What is the National School Lunch Program?
The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in over 101,000
public and non-profit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally
balanced, low-cost or free lunches to more than 30.5 million children each school day in 2007. In
1998, Congress expanded the National School Lunch Program to include reimbursement for snacks
served to children in after school educational and enrichment programs to include children through
18 years of age.
The Food and Nutrition Service administers the program at the Federal level. At the State level, the
National School Lunch Program is usually administered by State education agencies, which operate
the program through agreements with school food authorities.

2. How does the National School Lunch Program work?
Generally, public or nonprofit private schools of high school grade or under and public or nonprofit
private residential child care institutions may participate in the school lunch program. School
districts and independent schools that choose to take part in the lunch program get cash subsidies
and donated commodities from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for each meal they
serve. In return, they must serve lunches that meet Federal requirements, and they must offer free or
reduced price lunches to eligible children. School food authorities can also be reimbursed for snacks
served to children through age 18 in after school educational or enrichment programs."
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/Ab...PFactsheet.pdf

Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 AM

118 posts, read 519,525 times
I went to the same site. I still don't have an answer to why they wouldn't have a lunch program. I think the part about the cash subsidies is where the household income comes into play.? If anyone knows.............

Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 AM

908 posts, read 2,858,111 times
Default of school lunches and social responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poverty is a beast that harms children more than adults because the kids never have a chance to escape. I really believe that there should be free school lunches and, where appropriate, an allowance for books, paper, pencils and other supplies. Education for every child is a big part of society’s shared responsibility even if it costs the successful part of their stash.
Great thought. I've always thought we've missed a huge positive feedback loop in the education system. I think we should kick back a piece of a percentage of our salaries to the education system/instructors that taught us. Maybe even go so far as to allow you to pick exceptional teachers and institutions for a larger piece. It would help balance the disparity between professional salaries and the people who gave them the skills to earn those salaries. It would also be a hell of a motivator to the individual teachers to connect with their students. Due to the numbers that teachers send on, it would only take a small fraction from each of us to make a huge difference to the teachers and schools that sent us on.

As for supplies, I know many teachers for APS and all of them keep a stash of basic supplies that they paid for. It's a real shame that they're underpaid and expected to fill in the economic gap we've left.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 PM

429 posts, read 1,480,266 times
I think all teachers across the country pay for a lot of the supplies for thier classes. Very sad.

OK - I have another one:

You know you're in NM when... You can buy alcohol (& I don't mean rubbing alcohol) in Wal-Mart, at gas stations, etc. (Washington state has state controlled liquor stores).

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
you know your in New Mexico when hairspray or mouthwash is outlawed on Sundays in NW New Mexico cause too many people will make a alcholic beverage out of it

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you know your in New Mexico when hairspray or mouthwash is outlawed on Sundays in NW New Mexico cause too many people will make a alcholic beverage out of it
This is hillarious haha, nice one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico