Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 AM

175 posts, read 439,165 times

Advertisements

First,

From the Dallas area, lived on the north side of the city for 15 years.

I'm a single mid-20's male that has lived here full time for the past 4 years. I'm not going to say what city but it's a small town in the enchanted circle. The towns I describe are portraying to Eagle Nest, Angel Fire, Red River, and Cimarron.
Please comment on the pros and cons!

It's hasn't been one of my best experiences of life- so don't take these negatives to the bone. it's just what has happened to me, my age range,and the social aspects.

I've a met some people that are very happy with this area. Some of these people are families and retired persons.

PRO"S

Skiing- I like to ski. Angel Fire has a WONDERFUL SKI AREA. Best place to ski in the enchanted circle!!! I mean it.

Hiking- You can hike on the peaks, and fairly early, at least some years since the snowpack doesn't stay too deep on many of the peaks past May.

No stop lights in most towns(or very few)- It doesn't take that long to get around unless there's snow. That will be on the cons I tell you.

Nice EARLY summers and falls. great aspen and a few nice dry sunny days.

Car Registration- very cheap and no state inspection required.

Winters- Usually snowy but not bitterly cold. It doesn't feel cold because it's so dry. A very nice aspect to the area.

No air conditioning required in the summer!

A very good VACATION place for tourists and for anybody!

CONS

Illegal DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS Lots of illegal drug use in these small towns. A very common aspect in the small rocky mountain towns, unfortunately. I would say that close to half of the younger population uses drugs on a regular basis. A lot of these people aren't just a here and there user, there regulars. This really is a burden if you are young and single and you want to find friends that have good morals. This leads to people getting jobs just to get drugs. this also leads to a fair amount of depression in the area.

Friends/Socialization- If you are out of high school and want to meet friends, let's say your between 20-35. It's likely going to be hard. Not quite as hard in Taos but people there can be quite weird. I'm not in any way saying you won't meet someone there's just not a lot choice in the bucket. This is one reason why I am moving from here.

Acceptance- Being in any small town,some see you as outsiders and it can take a while before acceptance. This occured here.

Having things to do- Other than skiing and hiking, there's not really a whole lot to do. It can get pretty boring. There is a NON-SUPER-Wal-Mart (probably one of the last regular ones) and several nice shops in Taos. but this takes 30-60 minutes if you live in these towns. You have to go to espaniola or Santa Fe to get to a LOWS, Home Depot, Sams, or mall. From this area, you looking at about an hour and a half to get to espaniola and two to two and a half hours to get to santa fe on a NON-Snowy day. You could double or triple that time if the roads are bad.

Climate- It can be nice- however- If you like some cold silver white winters- this is definately the place for you. If you want to escape from the heat, this is the place for you.
I'm from Texas, i wanted to get away from the heat but now I'm tired on the long cold seasons.

Blowing snow and blizzard like weather not uncommon from late DEC-March. Some winters are not bad at all though!

Monsoons- If you don't mind a lot of cool rains and storms from early july to mid-august, you won't mind this. However, I miss some actual summer sometimes.
These daily rains during the times mentioned can really mess up a lot of hiking and outdoor events you plan. So be careful if you want to hike!

Customer service and common attitude.-

Usually on the slow side. some towns only have one or two restaraunts open. Service can be just a bad as some of the big cities!

Sometimes great, but other times not so great.

since the towns are so small, you see the same people all the time.

A lot of people find out about things- sometimes not a very private living environment if you work with the government or own a business.

There's more con's but I'm getting tired of writting. I'll write for if anyone wants to know.

All and All for a guy my age, definately just a vacation place.

If you are a young family or have kids in high school, maybe a place to live full time because they will go to school and make friends.

If you are from a large city, you might want to seriously consider this area for being making the jump to move. especially if you enjoy the conveniences of city life.

Last edited by Thunderbomb82; 06-02-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
TB82 - sounds like small town living anywhere on the planet with allowances for the weather. As you are moving anyway I suggest Albuquerque or if you really want city life Phoenix.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,948 times
That does not sound like most small towns I Know. In the midwest small towns will uniformly welcome you in my experience. The customer service is good. People take pride in their work, even if they are a waitress at a greasy spoon. The difference for me between the small towns in NM and elsewhere is in NM there prevails a petty, passive-aggressive attitude.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM

175 posts, read 439,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
That does not sound like most small towns I Know. In the midwest small towns will uniformly welcome you in my experience. The customer service is good. People take pride in their work, even if they are a waitress at a greasy spoon. The difference for me between the small towns in NM and elsewhere is in NM there prevails a petty, passive-aggressive attitude.
I have to really agree with you! I lived in a small town east of Kanasas city (60 miles east) and the people were more friendly and service oriented than here.

If you want small towns, seems like small midwest towns are the place to be.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Thuunderbomb 82-I like Northern NM and I agree with your post,I grew up in a small town and I would say the Northern NM small towns are nothing like small towns everywhere,not even close,and your drug response is right on,Espanola area has been know as the overdose capitol of the world, I know a few people from there that live the lifestyle amongst many others and the snow sucks but the Northern NM is so unique and has so much character and history,there isnt anywhere in the country like it.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Thuunderbomb 82-I like Northern NM and I agree with your post,I grew up in a small town and I would say the Northern NM small towns are nothing like small towns everywhere,not even close,and your drug response is right on,Espanola area has been know as the overdose capitol of the world, I know a few people from there that live the lifestyle amongst many others and the snow sucks but the Northern NM is so unique and has so much character and history,there isnt anywhere in the country like it.
Well, maybe the backwoods of Appalachia, but for sure they don't have green chile in West Virginia.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:38 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Having lived in Dallas myself for 12+ years, plus towns smaller than the ones you mentioned, you might be happier somewhere like Albuquerque, if you plan on staying in NM. And what you said about small towns - the cons - pretty much apply to every small town I've lived in.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
I wonder if the chama area has a drug problem. That is where I would love to live. Now, in Eastern OK they have meth problems here too. My husband can ever hire anyone to work for him because they can't pass the drug test. There always saying, we need employers but employers need drug free employees.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Better an addict should earn the dope money than steal it. If an employee can do the job stoned out of their mind or flying high on coke who cares? If stoners or speed freaks are all that is available change the job to suit. AFAK we don't test for alcohol and most jobs can be done drunk. I guess we have learned to cope with alcohol. Design the jobs to be doable by whatever the addicts are flying on. Learn to cope with the reality instead of denying it.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I wonder if the chama area has a drug problem. That is where I would love to live. Now, in Eastern OK they have meth problems here too. My husband can ever hire anyone to work for him because they can't pass the drug test. There always saying, we need employers but employers need drug free employees.
Maybe employers need to lighten up. Just because someone might be indulging in something after work or on weekends does not mean that person cannot do the work. This is especially true for labor-intensive jobs. Of course it is their choice, but employers should not complain when they are the ones narrowing their own field of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico