Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 AM

25 posts, read 135,810 times

Advertisements

Is is true that Los Alamos County has a high rate of autism?

Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 AM

42 posts, read 148,574 times
It doesn't really have a rate higher than anywhere else in the country, but people in Los Alamos will generally have more money and insurance to pay for early screening. Thus more diagnoses, inflating the numbers.

and I'm not talking out of my you know what. My son has autism.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM

19 posts, read 210,600 times
Default Higher Income and Autism

The lifestyle of higher income and education also can increase risk during pregency because of higher exposure to mercury from fish containing the heavy metal like tuna and shordfish. Now we limit consumption, but that's recent advice.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 AM

42 posts, read 148,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lauder View Post
The lifestyle of higher income and education also can increase risk during pregency because of higher exposure to mercury from fish containing the heavy metal like tuna and shordfish. Now we limit consumption, but that's recent advice.
Mercury does NOT cause autism. Beyond that your post just leaves me baffled for about twelve reasons, and I'm not even sure where to begin.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 148,049 times
Default Vaccines are the cause

It is from the high levels of mercury and fluoride in the vaccines that they
insist on giving the children. That is why groups of people like the Amish who
don't allow vaccines have a very low incidence of autism.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 AM

7 posts, read 20,545 times
I don't know that there is really much evidence to suggest that there is a link between mercury/flouride and Autism, just the usual scare stories. There is on the other hand a lot of hard evidence to suggest a genetic link including 80+% chance of Autism occuring in the twin of an Autistic child.

I think Autism is somewhat misunderstood due to the onset of symptoms, in other words it's not like Down's Syndrome which can even be identified before birth, your child often seems perfectly normal until about the age of 3 and then suddenly appears to develop autistic traits. It's not suprising that under those conditions that parents might assume that something had occured in the meantime to cause that outcome.

That's just my understanding as someone who's spent many years working with young adults with Autism/Aspergers, that it's a mix of genetic and some environmental factors.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,813 times
Default Does anyone have any data for Los Alamos?

I am wondering if anyone has any data regarding the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders in Los Alamos, or in the families of people born in Los Alamos.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,693 times
Autism, like schizophrenia defies explanation for causes, it may run in some families from unknown genetic factors. Some people blame heavy metals and radioactivity as its cause, but nothing has been proven yet.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,659 times
The odds are good, but the goods are odd? or dishonest? People always say the dating scene in Los Alamos is dry. Recently I met a man/scientist who said he is unaware of himself. I found this man unable or unwilling to communicate, a stubborn and pesimistic mule that for the most part remained silent. I seriously think he has something missing and may be unable to be aware - communicate = make emotional connections at a level expected in romantic relationship. I talked to another very young woman who he was with half his age who said he used silence to communicate - or that was her kind assumption of him - but seriously - silence to solve everyday problems that come up in relationship? Is this a communication skill we all value and appreciate when nonresponsiveness is the constant mode?

I also talked to a director at the labs saying that men with one or up to 3 PhDs can be extremely snooty and have low emotional intelligence problems and are unable to have relationships. I met another man who said he couldn't read other people's cues - seems to be a common theme. My friend that works with wives (imports) of scientists says the wives are SO unhappy. What is the rate of divorce in Los Alamos? Does anyone know? One pharmiscist said more psychotheraputic drugs are dispensed in Los Alamos per capita then anywhere else in the nation. Is that true? So do the adults themselves, the male scientists have a higher rate of Asburgers? What is the information/data about inability to make emotional connections or relate on an emotional level for male adult scientists in Los Alamos? The saying "the goods are odd" is pretty popular in LA so I'm thinking it didn't come out of nowhere.

Last edited by educast; 08-22-2009 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,250 times
This has nothing to do with autism, but my brother began having seizures shortly after immuzations he received while my family was living in Los Alamos. 30 years later, he still has a seizure disorder which has caused significant brain damage. He is unable to walk, talk, care for himself, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: