Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times

Advertisements

Most i talked to were stoked as not only for the ''freedom'' aspect which is the most important reason for them but also Alamo needs the base to get back up in numbers as it's been flat there for about a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,766 times
I wonder if the Dems get into office whether they will start closing bases like Holloman. Or is Holloman one of those bases that is immune to closure?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I wonder if the Dems get into office whether they will start closing bases like Holloman. Or is Holloman one of those bases that is immune to closure?
Doubt it as BRACC is independant. I was impressed with Gov Richardson when they were going to close Cannon AFB and he fought like hell to save it and to reopen it.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
About 20 years ago New Hampshire lost the Pease AFB on the seacoast. Since then it has been redeveloped as an industrial and shipping center with a lot of transatlantic air freight traffic. Having a 12,000 ft sea level runway is kind of a “build it and they will come” situation. Portsmouth also has a submarine repair facility the helps the local working class (industrial craftsmen) economy because the jobs pay almost enough to live in the region. Wealthy summer people and the service businesses dominate the NH seacoast economy. In many ways Portsmouth, NH and Santa Fe, NM have a lot in common. One of the commonalties is that Europeans settled them about the same time so have a very long and interesting history.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM

45 posts, read 175,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have no idea who or what the F-22 Raptors are supposed to fight but I am an airplane freak and I will enjoy the opportunity to watch my wasted money at work.
I will not engage on government expenditures. I will engage on the F-22. I can assure that is much more than a fighter plane. It is a huge force multiplier possessing capabilities that cannot be discussed openly.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
About 20 years ago New Hampshire lost the Pease AFB on the seacoast. Since then it has been redeveloped as an industrial and shipping center with a lot of transatlantic air freight traffic. Having a 12,000 ft sea level runway is kind of a “build it and they will come” situation. Portsmouth also has a submarine repair facility the helps the local working class (industrial craftsmen) economy because the jobs pay almost enough to live in the region. Wealthy summer people and the service businesses dominate the NH seacoast economy. In many ways Portsmouth, NH and Santa Fe, NM have a lot in common. One of the commonalties is that Europeans settled them about the same time so have a very long and interesting history.
Greg....
That's what happened to Roswell back in the 70's?? as they closed Walker AFB back then and it devastated the city. It took about 15 to 20 years for them to finally develope the former base and get back on their feet.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,480 times
Thumbs down Base Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Greg....
That's what happened to Roswell back in the 70's?? as they closed Walker AFB back then and it devastated the city. It took about 15 to 20 years for them to finally develope the former base and get back on their feet.
Hey Harry, Same thing happened to Bigs Springs, Tx. They try to go in to the prison system with the base, But then the private companies went into that. Building new prisons in other parts of the state. The town has never recovered. Will be in Timberon on the 4th hope to get to see ( or at least hear) one, when we run down to Alamo. Will be proud of what this country can do when it comes together. Yes both sides wanted this plane.

David

Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Hey Harry, Same thing happened to Bigs Springs, Tx. They try to go in to the prison system with the base, But then the private companies went into that. Building new prisons in other parts of the state. The town has never recovered. Will be in Timberon on the 4th hope to get to see ( or at least hear) one, when we run down to Alamo. Will be proud of what this country can do when it comes together. Yes both sides wanted this plane.

David
I never knew Big Springs had an Base as that's too bad what happened to them. Alamo would be devastated if Holloman ever closed. Just this last year since the F-117's Stealths left with their support crews Alamo has been down in the economic activity.

Hope the F-22's do fly on the 4th as that would be awesome. I'll check with the base and see if there are any air shows or base tours coming up.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,480 times
Default Big Spring Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I never knew Big Springs had an Base as that's too bad what happened to them. Alamo would be devastated if Holloman ever closed. Just this last year since the F-117's Stealths left with their support crews Alamo has been down in the economic activity.

Hope the F-22's do fly on the 4th as that would be awesome. I'll check with the base and see if there are any air shows or base tours coming up.
I can't remember the name of the base now, But it was closed in the early 80's (Remember the music, LOL) But it devestated the economy, The high school drop to 3A because so many people left. But at least that got them out of having to play- Odessa, Midland, Ablene, and San Angelo schools every year.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
I can't remember the name of the base now, But it was closed in the early 80's (Remember the music, LOL) But it devestated the economy, The high school drop to 3A because so many people left. But at least that got them out of having to play- Odessa, Midland, Ablene, and San Angelo schools every year.
Yeah that's just too bad about their base .

I sure do remember those High Schools as i went to HS in El Paso and Odessa Permian and Midland Lee would just kill us in Football....lol....I just started a thread about HS Football over in the Texas Forums Pipeweld....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico