Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,407,290 times

Advertisements

Yep, nothing in Santa Fe either except a few drops and a lot of wind and dust. I figured by the time I got home to take the laundry in it would be turned into mud but my housemate had taken it in. At least the temperature dropped--got chilly during the night. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,040,762 times
jecc ~ Now I am really jealous ... that looks like some storm!

We watched the clouds all afternoon and they looked so promising ... and then it looked like everything went right around us. The temperature was great all day, but my flowers would have loved some rain.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 PM

801 posts, read 2,216,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I used to assume this was true everywhere. But here in the Sacramentos (and also where my folks live in West Texas) the hottest time of year is May or sometimes June. By July, the monsoon season begins and things cool off for the rest of the summer. Then comes fall, then snow.
Numbers aside, to me, here in Albuquerque, the worst heat of the year is during the AFTERNOONS the last two weeks of June and the first week or so of July. The June mornings are still usually quite nice (it was 57 degrees at my Foothills house this morning), but the relentless sunshine and high sun angle can make the heat feel intense during the afternoons. Usually, by July 5-10 when thunderstorm season kicks in, the combination of afternoon clouds and showers (even if they aren't over your head) begins to ease the situation. My favorite summer days are the "sloppy" few days in late July and August when clouds hang on the side of Sandia Peak during the morning, and we don't get enough sunshine to hit 80 degrees.

Many times during July or August, we've taken the camper down to some acreage we have in the Sacramento Mountains. It rarely fails. The temperature (7200 foot elevation) hits 80 about noon...then a thunderstorm rolls off the eastern slope of Sierra Blanca and drifts out into the Plains. The temperature at our place will drop to the 50s or 60s, and we end up turning the heater on for a while in the camper that evening.

My memory of Mississippi summers will always be with me, and I'll always enjoy the summers of New Mexico...at least...above 6000 feet!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:41 PM

946 posts, read 3,270,482 times
Wink teaser rain

Got thunder and another teaser rain in Nambe. Looking to the south I maybe see blue skies (hard to say for sure) over Santa Fe and to the west maybe a heavy rain over Los Alamos.

It's a long time since we had a real rain. Still the brief shower beaks the heat and tamps down the dust.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,407,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Got thunder and another teaser rain in Nambe. Looking to the south I maybe see blue skies (hard to say for sure) over Santa Fe and to the west maybe a heavy rain over Los Alamos.

It's a long time since we had a real rain. Still the brief shower beaks the heat and tamps down the dust.
Only drops & dark clouds in downtown Santa Fe. Yesterday it threatened rain when I got in the hammock with a book.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Yes, nothing at all here ... and we have watched huge clouds go all around us this afternoon. Looks like there was a lot of rain up in the Sangres.

I'm disappointed ... today looked like we had a good chance.

At least it cooled things down here ... it's 67º right now.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM

286 posts, read 1,324,032 times
Well, my neighbors are saying it's monsoon season. We had rain 2 days in a row! Temps got down to 60 yesterday afternoon. This morning it's sunny, but I hear we are to get more rain this afternoon. I'm just enjoying the sun, and how green it is!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM

Okay for you experts out there:

IF this is monsoon season starting .... are the monsoons always so sporadic? Is it normal to see storms all around us .... but day after day not get any rain??

My husband says the law of averages is sure to catch up with us ... and one of these days we will get some rain.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,616,584 times
I got my yard in Santa Fe drenched yesterday, and others had no rain. It sure was a spotty day for rain, but at least I got some of it.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,616,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Okay for you experts out there:

IF this is monsoon season starting .... are the monsoons always so sporadic? Is it normal to see storms all around us .... but day after day not get any rain??

My husband says the law of averages is sure to catch up with us ... and one of these days we will get some rain.
That may not apply to a drought. We are currently in a drought, and have been in one for quite some time. Perhaps global warming is also contributing to changes in our climate. Scientists are predicting up to a 7 degree change in temperature in the next few decades. I think the law of averages cannot be counted on when man-made changes are entered into the equation. Just think of how all of the agricultural land converted into growing corn for ethanol has disrupted the food supply. I think some of the hardest hit areas in New Mexico will be the Southwest corner in the Gilas, the Jemez, and the Sangre De Cristos. These mid to upper elevation forested and woodland areas cannot sustain much more of a prolonged drought and global warming. Someday soon the Jemez, Gila and Sangre De Cristos and other mountain systems might look like the Organ Mountains outside Las Cruces, and we will all be able to tell our grandchildren that these mountains once were green with trees and plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico