Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times

Advertisements

Just as the lack of humidity makes the summer heat bearable, it does the same for the winter cold. I'm in ABQ, and this past winter I thought the temps were quite nice. Low humidity meant the cold felt crispy rather than bone chilling (bone chilling being what it was during cold snaps along the Gulf Coast and in Dallas). Additionally, most winter days are sunny, which also helps "moderate" the temps. So don't let the thought of "cold" winters completely dissuade you from the central & northern parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Yesterday afternoon about 2 the temp on my deck was 105.2 with 55% humidity. thsi is very unusual. Thanks for that.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 13,170 times
Thanks _yb. The Enchanted circle looks like a definite must. How much time do you think I need to set aside to do this loop?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebucket View Post

Also, can anyone make any suggestions on a town/area for a first time visit for a guy who likes small friendly towns, with good taverns, surrounded by beautifu vistas.
I'm surprised that i've never heard anyone mention the town of Cuba. I've been to/thru it twice going to farmington but i remember it was around 4 or 5 thousand in population and right on the bottom on the Jemez Mts as it really looked nice. I think it's about 30 min from Rio Rancho so your close to the city amenities.

Here's the site with info and photo gallery.
Welcome to Cuba, New Mexico USA!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
icebucket ~

I agree that the Enchanted Circle is GREAT. The towns up there are really cool. Red River is my favorite, as well as Eagle Next, but that one is very tiny. Taos is also awesome, and would be the 2nd on my list after Santa Fe for a place to live.

If I were 30 years younger and didn't need to be closer to doctors, Taos might be on the top of my list. Check it out.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
icebucket, planning asks:

> ... Enchanted circle ... time do ... to do this loop?

It's about 70 or so miles around the whole loop. There are many places you will have to slow way down due to traffic, curves, etc and a few places that you can go pretty fast.

It's a lovely drive and to appreciate it, it should be taken at a leisurely speed. You should stop and read the historical signs and see the scenic overlooks as much as possible. Stop and walk around Red River and maybe Eagle Nest.

Also, you'll find aggressive locals who like living in the beautiful areas, but resent people who also want to visit there. The locals know every twist and turn on the road, so can't appreciate that you don't want to take that curve marked for 30 mph at 80 mph.

Check your rear-view mirror. Be courteous and pull over if you find people bunching up behind you. Screw them and their stress levels, but you don't need the stress.

I'd budget three hours at a minimum.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think Cimarron, not far off the Enchanted Circle, might be worth looking into. By all means, don't neglect "The Palisades" if you're up thataway. It isn't far east of Eagle Nest, which itself is one of my favorite places because it isn't tarted up. And the road is gorgeous.

I'd set aside a whole day to explore the Enchanted Circle and environs. It would be a shame not to give yourself time to stop and look around. There is a lot to see.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 PM

One of the best things in The Enchanted Circle is the Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire. It is one thing people should not miss. The setting and architecture are spectacular.

I know mortimer will expect me to post a link, so here it is.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:21 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
I'm looking to hit a couple spots probably in Northern NM to try and get a feel for the area.
Quote:
And snow does not bother me as long as the temperatures don't go down into the teens. Since getting up into the 40's, 47 to be exact, I don't handle extreme cold very well any more.
------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Finally, most anyplace in New Mexico, especially northern New Mexico, will see temperatures dropping into the teens on numerous winter nights. In the higher mountains (7,500 feet and above), lows below zero are not uncommon.
Right on jazzlover.

Icebucket, I have posted about this quite a bit on these forums, but I wanted to reach out to you too.

I think with your admitted lack of familiarity with New Mexico, you are perhaps in danger of falling into the trap many northerners - heck, many US'ers - have in their perceptions of New Mexico.

I want to warn you!

Northern New Mexico is *not* a warm climate. It just isn't. It isn't a *bad* climate per se - it is a nice temperate-mountain climate, as it is sunny, clear, and very dry, but it isn't what one would *conventionally* usually think of as a place to relocate to from the the north for the *purposes of warm weather*, which you were alluding to largely.

When people ask about "dry heat", they are usually talking about very low, hot desert cities like Phoenix or Tucson AZ; maybe Las Cruces NM or Albuquerque NM. But honestly, in northern NM towns like Los Alamos, Chama, Red River, Raton, Taos, Espanola, etc., *heat* isn't really a common occurrence; in fact, in those towns (or the many climatically similar / related Northern NM towns), summers are much hotter in Philly overall for the most part.

As jazzlover pointed out, Northern NM's winter nights are quite cold for several months. Again, perhaps a more "tolerable" cold than the NE, but they are quite cold.

My point isn't to discourage you or to point out "negatives" of Northern NM. My point is more that I am constantly surprised by how many people look at relocating/retiring to the Southwest seeking warmer weather than where they are from, but then choosing towns at 6500, 7500, 8000 feet, etc., in Northern NM to key in on, and then being sadly disappointed and almost shocked at how cold (and regularly cold) it gets in these towns! These towns are gorgeous, but they are as about opposite of a Phoenix-type of warm weather haven as you can get.

If you want a small town with relatively warm weather (and nights that don't often regularly drop into the teens in the winter) but not scorching hot days like a Phoenix, try towns in central or Southern NM like Silver City or Socorro or Truth or Consequences. These towns are much more temperate.

Again, if you don't mind a steady dose of overnight teens, 10s, single digits, and some zeros, there isn't a thing wrong with high altitude Northern NM - it is gorgeous country.

But if you are looking for temperate, warmer weather year round, you really have to key in on cities at 5500 feet in altitude or lower. Basically Albuquerque or lower (Central and Southern NM has a ton of cities/towns at 5500 feet or lower, Northern does not have many expect for the NE plains). In the SW part of the nation, altitude is everything for determining temps.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:38 PM

As a caveat to EnjoyEP's post ... I have to add my opinion about the other side of the coin.

If you consider any cities / towns from ABQ to the southern border, you should be prepared for heat. A lot of heat in the summer.

I have seen people on here for several years try to say the southern part of the state is "warm". Well, yeah it's warm all right, VERY WARM. And some of us from colder climates need to be aware that that heat of southern NM can be draining over the course of a long summer.

Yes, the humidity is low. No, it doesn't get as hot as Phoenix. BUT I would check it out if you are looking for a warm climate - go to Las Cruces in July or August and see if you like weather that hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico