Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The concrete and pavement do make a difference. You can tell that when you're out hiking or walking when it's 100 plus degrees. It's not bad at all until you hit a road or parking lot and the heat is radiating back instead of being absorbed by the ground.

The desert itself can be very pleasant when it's 100 plus. The desert plants and sand soak up the sun's rays.
Lordy. I would not willingly hike or walk in such temps, given a choice...the only time 100 plus is pleasant is when I am inside under refrigerated air!!

I will not go on the White Sands Nature Walk until it cools off a LOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM

215 posts, read 841,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Alamo....101, again. It was NOT this hot this early when I was tracking temps, but I am hoping that what they tell me is true....this is unusually hot!!
Cathy, how long have you been in Alamo? I've been in the mountains for almost four years, and I would say that 101 is not unusual at all for Alamo. I don't go to Alamo that often, but each summer, every single time I go down there, it is in the upper 90s or low 100s. Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but my impression of Alamo is that it's hot every day in summer. Up the hill, it's been topping out around 80 or 82 these days but cooling down fast in the afternoon. By dinnertime, it's back into the 70s, and nights have been in the 50s and 60s. Now if we could just get some rain.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Lordy. I would not willingly hike or walk in such temps, given a choice...the only time 100 plus is pleasant is when I am inside under refrigerated air!!

I will not go on the White Sands Nature Walk until it cools off a LOT.
I guess it's what we get used to --- although I can't make myself get used to cold weather. I shiver in refrigerated air -- I enjoy a 100 degree day -- like today is here.

What's great about a state like New Mexico is that it has it all -- we can all escape to some other kind of climate in just a short drive. But -- we shouldn't broadcast that too much.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,108 times
Towanda wanted information:

> I think you told us once how to fashion a sort of primitive swamp
> cooler with a wet towel and fan. Can you explain that again? ...

Simply put; get water to evaporate in the air that is inside your house.

A Swamp Cooler evaporates water that is "incoming," but technically, once it is inside the cooler, it is inside the house.

You *could* just take the garden hose and spray down the inside of your house, furniture, bedding, carpets, etc, but it would become so humid inside that the cooling effect would soon be forgotten. (Unless, of course, you have a number of box fans and ceiling fans in every room you just hosed down.) I don't recommend this extreme technique.

Hanging a damp towel in a window that is receiving air works. That is, if the air is blowing from the East, an East window will have air blowing in the house and the West window will tend to have air blowing out. I say "tend" to because the air is not just flowing through the house (if you have a direct shot East-to-West), but it is increasing the pressure inside the house so that air will also flow out any window - including the North and South windows (or sliding doors).

Note, a damp, threadbare, towel will work better than a newer one. A burlap bag - even better, but the water will evaporate sooner than a newer towel making it necessary to put more water on it more often. You wanty air flowing through the fabric. Take a squirt bottle like a mustard or ketsup container and soak at the top so the water drains down and just have a long enough container to catch the excess so it doesn't drip on your sill.

Finally, you can 'force' it by having a box fan or two blowing air *out* other windows elsewhere in the house to that air will be drawn (or sucked, if you will) through the open window with the wet fabric hanging. Such a setup *is* a swamp cooler in all its glory.

You can also hang a towel or 'wet down' a throw rug on tile and blow air across it with a fan to get cooling.

There are box fans sold in hardware stores that have their own water pump and reservoir that can cool a local area such as a room pretty effectively.

These measures might seem extreme, but really; how much do you really need it? At our house at 6080 ft in Albuquerque, we turn on the swamper about 1 pm to 3 pm and turn it off by 7 or 8 pm for the evening.

Last edited by mortimer; 06-15-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
Cathy, how long have you been in Alamo? I've been in the mountains for almost four years, and I would say that 101 is not unusual at all for Alamo. I don't go to Alamo that often, but each summer, every single time I go down there, it is in the upper 90s or low 100s. Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but my impression of Alamo is that it's hot every day in summer. Up the hill, it's been topping out around 80 or 82 these days but cooling down fast in the afternoon. By dinnertime, it's back into the 70s, and nights have been in the 50s and 60s. Now if we could just get some rain.
Jecc, I have been here less than a year.

Your temps sound heavenly.

I knew when I moved here that it would be hotter than I'd like, but I honestly do not remember temperatures last year (when I was tracking them in comparison to Midland's) being this hot for days on end. Temps here were consistently cooler until the day I arrive permanently in Alamo. It was 90 in Midland...and I arrived to 102 in Alamo....last August.

I'm beginning to think that hot weather maliciously follows me around...and jinxes everything....

I've been in 116 degrees in Midland....and up until this week, Midland has been consistently hotter than Alamo. Now they're running about even...or Alamo is worse.

I hear you on the rain. It's dry everywhere...and that's not good, especially if you live in heavily wooded areas.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-15-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I guess it's what we get used to --- although I can't make myself get used to cold weather. I shiver in refrigerated air -- I enjoy a 100 degree day -- like today is here.

What's great about a state like New Mexico is that it has it all -- we can all escape to some other kind of climate in just a short drive. But -- we shouldn't broadcast that too much.
LOL!! True!

I am used to hotter temps (like 116 in Midland)...but that doesn't make me like them any better.

I love the cool nights and mornings....and I loved it here last winter when the nights would get into the teens...I'd go out in the morning to get my paper...and that first cold snap in the am is awesome. Sometimes I'd go out barefoot just to get a nice cold fix!!!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-15-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
mortimer: I'm very aware of the 'heat island' effect. It's still close to 90 here in Ft Worth at 11 PM (it was 101 humid degrees today), and if I went for a motorcycle ride, I'd be hot until I got out of town, but out away from the city it would be quite comfortable. When there isn't much wind, it's amazing how much cooler it is in the low spots, too!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,108 times
This morning after the sun appeared for a while, it was 65 degrees on my West porch and 102 degrees right next to my East-facing front door.

The inside of the house is around 75 degrees.

We turned off the swamper at 7 pm last night and had one window open in the whole house.

It's predicted to be 97 degrees for the high today in Albuquerque.
It might make it to 91-92 up on Tramway Blvd.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

You *could* just take the garden hose and spray down the inside of your house, furniture, bedding, carpets, etc, but it would become so humid inside that the cooling effect would soon be forgotten. (Unless, of course, you have a number of box fans and ceiling fans in every room you just hosed down.)
Hubby thinks this is a super idea.

We're going to try it!!!

THANKS!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times
Hey they (KRQE 13) said it will be 104 in Alamogordo tomorrow Cathy4017 as i know you'll be happy on that....lol....We aren't too far behind at 96 for tomorrow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico