Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Mortimer - I was thinking the 1960's not the 1940's. 1940's trucks are antiques. 1960's trucks are still cheap.

I think lots of suburban moms have been sold the lie that they and the kiddies are safer in a big truck and the gals like to be able to see over traffic. When marginally snowy roads and tractors trailers are involved both conditions are no linger true. SUV’s are less safe in the snow and the big rigs always win in a crash.

Like I said – buy transport.
Recently replaced my 92 toyota 4cyl pick-up with a used vehicle that better meets current needs. Paid 1200 for the thing 7 years ago, has 256K mi. and still gets 36 mpg on hwy. asked 1200 for it, got bid up to 2800... not many 4 cyl trucks out there anymore.

Talked to a carpenter friend today who mostly works in the outlying area. He was begging for help finding work in town saying his daily fuel costs (hauling tools and supplies) were now almost eating around 40% of his day's pay. So the anecdotes are coming in on the effect of gas prices on the rural NM economy. LV is experiencing a great tourist season, between regional travelers and Germans on the Wild West Amtrak tour- but more than 2000 Las Vegans commute to Santa Fe or Los Alamos and another 1500 or so drive 20-30 miles to their jobs. A massive chunk of local discretionary dollars are being spent on commutes.
Local businesses are already feeling the pinch, including gas stations who report gas customers spending much less on profit-generating convenience goods.

Last edited by jsc23; 06-13-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
GregW in a previous post wrote:

> > > ... buy a rust free very used Chevy Pick up truck ...

Then I responded:

> > You might be able to get one built before you were born.

> Mortimer - I was thinking the 1960's not the 1940's. ...

Oh. You are more of and old f@rt than I thought.

> 1960's trucks are still cheap.

I would argue that lots of decent 1990's trucks are out there pretty cheap also.

People who can't do math are taking a bath of $5,000-10,000 (give or take) on perfectly good vehicles so that they can save $20/week (give or take) on gasoline.

If one is patient, you can find some schlep who commutes 50 miles one-way who'll part wth his little-used (as a truck) pickup for a fraction of what it was worth a year ago.

Timing is everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico