U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Taos?
Albuquerque 11 40.74%
Santa Fe 12 44.44%
Taos 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 14,628 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am moving from San Francisco, where I've lived for the last 3 years being over-worked, over-stressed, and under-paid working for a high-responsibility low-paying job. Even though I've really loved this city and built a home and community for myself here, I am very ready to move on.

I am interested in living in ABQ, Santa Fe, or Toas where I can live cheap and maintain a relatively low-stress lifestyle to make up for the last few years. So my question is...

What are the benefits of living in either of these 3 cities? Is it feasible to work some burger-flipping or coffee-serving job part time? Is it easier to find work/housing in one city over the others?

As of August, I have no commitments and want to enjoy this unique position as much as possible.

Any and all info you can offer will be super helpful.

I am looking for:
low rent
a city with character
people my age (mid-20's)
job variety
solace and peace of mind.

If you can give any advice on the above topics plus:
crime (I'm a single white female with no connections in any of these cities)
art scene
sustainable low-stress lifestyle
good neighborhoods in any of these areas.

***Also, if any of you have lived in the Earthship community near Toas, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thank you so much for your input! Warmest wishes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,364,782 times
I would not make a decision on where to live based on a poll of others. These three places are very different from each other. You need to check them out for yourself, and decide which one is right for you. There is no wrong or right answer, it's personal preference.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM

946 posts, read 3,113,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I would not make a decision on where to live based on a poll of others. These three places are very different from each other. You need to check them out for yourself, and decide which one is right for you. There is no wrong or right answer, it's personal preference.
Agreed. Besides if you want to see what people think -- there is an obvious answer right in front of you. Most people prefer ABQ -- the population numbers show you this and there is no close second. Santa Fe is a very distant third or fourth and Taos is way down low.

But so what? What is important is what you think -- not what most people think.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 PM

775 posts, read 2,466,152 times
Default My Opinion on the Big Cities

If you like Crime, Traffic, Smog and everything that goes with the big City all the Cities mentioned are perfect. If you like the Peaceful, Friendly, Country Life and Small Towns with low Crime the East Mountain Area or the Center of N.M. is my recommendation with Lots of Snow and Cool weather in the Summer time and lots of Activities and Close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe if you want to Visit. Moriarty is almost in the Center of N.M. rent a motel by the Week or month and work and explore N.M. and make up your mind where you want to Live or Work. Read the East Mountain Telegraph and the Independent. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM

3,689 posts, read 8,457,026 times
Oddly enough, when I visit Santa Fe, sometimes I think to myself "this feels like San Francisco". Perhaps that could be a comforting thought to you, moving from there.

I note the similarities because there's horrendous traffic, tight, confined spaces, and a whole lot of general wealth that doesn't necessarily translate to what I consider a high standard of living.

I make it sound all negative but these characteristics can be described in positive ways as well. If you're coming from one SF, you may find the other SF just different enough with enough of the elements of home.

Since you've indicated enough skills to start a thread in this forum, I'd say you're way overqualified (hence, you won't get hired) to be a burger flipper in this state. Perhaps a job with a web startup, which can be found in SF. Or go political; I'm sure a certain candidate would be thrilled to have you work for their campaign this fall.

Albuquerque is a bit more of New Mexico's L.A. There's the most aggregate wealth here, though the largest chunk is middle class (not typical for NM). It's big (well, for NM it's big), it sprawls, and it gets warmest of the three you described. That's what I voted for, but my tastes may be very different than yours. I think having the option to use the most developed public transit in the state (yes, that's really not saying much) and dwelling in a city is more sustainable than blowing $800/mo. on a 1 bedroom and driving 100mi each way to Albuquerque to do any good shopping or see good events.

I echo the sentiment: Visit all three, then decide. Albuquerque often tends to get a bad rap by outsiders, but it's the best place to live for some people.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,524,583 times
Funny ... and here I thought the bad rap always went to Santa Fe, hands down. LOL

Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,364,782 times
I spent last weekend in Santa Fe and failed to see the terrible traffic that everyone refers to. Having lived in Houston for the past three years, I guess I have a different perspective.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,255,115 times
I thought the traffic was bad when I was in Santa Fe the last few times, even compared to Albq, but I guess you feel the traffic more in a smaller town, Farmington is the same way.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 56,102,107 times
I suggest renting an apt in Albuquerque while you get a job and then investigate other parts of NM until you find what you want. If I were in my twenties, I would be there in a split instant. I'm in my sixties, so it will take a little longer.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM

299 posts, read 1,099,698 times
Thumbs up Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos- Oh my (GregW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest renting an apt in Albuquerque while you get a job and then investigate other parts of NM until you find what you want. If I were in my twenties, I would be there in a split instant. I'm in my sixties, so it will take a little longer.
Great advice. I hear ya Greg, but then, from all that I'm reading on the CD NM & ABQ froums it seems to me that ABQ is a good place to be in your/OUR 60's. I can't wait for 2012 to get here when we will relocate there.

Best to you and yours.

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico