Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,167 times

Advertisements

The kids' bags are packed, the *moooom, i'm booored* bag is ready, the car is ready... tonight I start packing mine and Greg's stuff.... tomorrow night we load... Friday after work we head out.

Sheesh. Trying to continue to work full time, prep for a five person 23 hour car trip and still get things done is hard work~ here's hoping we only have to make ONE exploratory trip!

I really should be working, but i'm doing up our list o' fun things for the kids to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
Have fun. Hope you spend more time in Northern NM right now, cause it looks like Southern NM is pretty darned hot right now.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM

I KNOW. That's something we're talking about... Greg set my phone up so I can check the weather and humidity before I go outside and use my inhaler accordingly, and I added Mountainair, Alamogordo and Albuquerque to it.

We're booked in Alamo for two nights and Alb for four. Visiting Moriarty, Mountainair, Ruidoso and Taos area as well.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
Well, one thing is for sure, you are going to experience Alamo at some of its hottest. If you can take that, you might actually like the place. You are going to love Ruidoso's weather compared to that right now though.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
Hey, RamblinRose:

Have a GREAT time on the exploratory trip. I loved all the trips we made to NM looking at lots, houses, different areas. There is so much to learn ... and you really have to come here to see which areas you like best ... and whether you like it at all.

Will be interested in hearing reports about the search!

P.S. Are you in Iowa? From Kansas City to Santa Fe, the trip always took us exactly ten hours. Can't believe if you are in Iowa, it would add another 13 hours to the trip ... unless you are talking about the drive to southern NM. Even so ...

Of course, we never made the trip with three kids in the car (only two dogs. ) Perhaps that will slow things down some.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

286 posts, read 1,321,963 times
Hey, Ramblin,
Glad to hear you're getting ready to go. We did the exploratory trip without the kids, but drove from FL with the kids when we moved. Your kids will have fun - as long as you have plenty of snacks! And they'll enjoy seeing a totally different part of the country. If you kids are old enough, have them journal about their trip. They can share their experience with their friends/teachers when they return to school. Even if they can't write a lot, drawing pictures keeps my kids happy. Enjoy the trip and hope you get to come up north! It's really beautiful right now!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Yeah, we had struck Ruidoso off the list, because we get the MASSIVE quantities of tourons here each year for Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg. I dunno, if the weather is appealing and the masses not quite so enmass... it may be workable.

Nope, Towanda. I'm in TN. We're spending the night with a friend in Huron, TN Friday since it's such a late start...driving to Dallas Saturday and spending the night with an online friend... on to NM on Sunday. We'll be meeting up with: A friend's brother and his family, Chilegal, my boss's daughter (and possibly him, lol. Drive to NM to see the man who I work for in TN) and a few people whose homes we're interested in. So the trip down shouldn't be too bad. The trip back's plans consist of: Start driving. When we get tired, stop driving. Find somewhere to sleep and get back up and do it again.

Thanks for the idea about the journals. I hadn't thought of that. I filled THAT bag with tons of snacks, mad libs and activity books, tons of Disney Adventure magazines I got from a friend that the kids don't know about (secret weapon), travel games, book lights, personal fans.... I think that's it. Of course they have their handheld games, cd/mp3 players, lots of books and books on cd to listen to. Oh, and the portable DVD player, if need be. Bored should be one thing they aren't! The kids are plenty old enough to journal (15 yr daughter, 9 yr son and 7 yr daughter) and with our son's sense of humor, that might be hilarious reading!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,792 times
Have a safe trip and I will see you sometime on Monday. Plan on the sledding that late afternoon or evening. I will give you a call when I know whats up.
Jane

Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

104 posts, read 376,446 times
When we took our trip at the beginning of the month I promised not to whine about the price of gas. It made the trip much more pleasant. So have a great time and remember....no sniveling.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Have a great trip and enjoy everything.
I just read you live in the Gatlinburg area.
I lived in Maryville for several years so I know how the tourists are in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and all. Ruidoso isn't nearly as bad as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico