Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times

Advertisements

We decided to take the kids on a small road trip through parts of New Mexico. We are going to start in our home town of Las Cruces. The kids actually choose this over Sea World (good for them!! )

No information is needed about Las Cruces, we are staying with my mom and we know all the good spots to hit up.

It has been 15 years since I have been to C-Bad and about 7 years since I have been to Ruidoso.

I need good places to eat, sleep, and things to do....especially in Carlsbad. We are doing the Caverns so I need a good place near.

What are some good restaurants in the both areas?

We wil most likely take the kids hiking near Bonita Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default Caverns and UFOs

I wouldnt miss the UFO museum in Roswell and take a Camera. The White City Million Dollar Museum and all of White city is being Sold but maybe the Museum will still be open when you go through. The Botanical Gardens out towards Carlsbad. Santa Rosa New Mexico is one of the Prettiest little cities in New Mexico with all its lakes and the Biggest Swimming pool in the World and Blue Hole and the Billy the Kid Grave and Museum are not too far south of there in Ft Sumner. The kids will love the Slide at the Park Lake and they have the best Restaurants of anywhere in New Mexico. Try Johnnnys Comet Drive Inn hes been the cook and owner for 40 years and has the best Red Beef Enchiladas eggs over medium with a tortilla of anywhere in New Mexico. p.s. check out the lake by the Rodeo Arena it has a plane at the Bottom used by Scuba Divers to Train and its used for Fishing and Swimming. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
There is a new Holiday Inn Express in Carlsbad right next to the mall. I'd recommend staying there.

As far as things to do with the kids. If they are still young enough to play at playgrounds, Playground on the Pecos is a very nice playground. My kids used to love it. It's a great way to tire the kids out before bedtime. We'd go get an ice cream cone at Kalidescopes afterward.

Another place to go see is the Living Desert Zoo. Go early in the morning to avoid the heat or if you're there during the full moon, go enjoy the moonlight walk. It's a nice, small zoo with animals and plants native to New Mexico. It is worth seeing.

Carlsbad has a drive-in movie theater to enjoy in the evening. You can sit in your car or bring lawn chairs. Unless things have changed, the price was very inexpensive. The desert weather is great at night even in summer because it cools down when the sun goes down. You may even need a light jacket.

I didn't spend much time in Ruidoso. We only drove through there on our day trips. If you're going through Alamogordo, make sure and stop by the White Sands. If you're there in summer, you need to go early or go late. The sands are blinding in the middle of the day and hot to the touch. You and your kids will enjoy sleding down the sands. We have a round plastic sled we bought for the purpose.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
We wil most likely take the kids hiking near Bonita Lake.
I'd like to also... it's only 10 miles from me... but the entire Lincoln NF and surrounding BLM land has been closed since the beginning of May due to fire danger. No hiking, biking, or horse riding allowed. Most likely they will open it sometime this summer...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,865,290 times
I'd go crazy if I still lived there & Lincoln was closed! Oh well if it's good for nature then I'm OK with it.
To the original poster, check out Living Dessert State Park. I visited & loved it. A few months later I visited the well known San Diego zoo & was bored, because I felt like I saw most the attractions already @ living desert with a small percentage of the hoopla. In Ruidoso take a drive up to ski apache for a beautiful scenic drive & lookout point.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
I will check some of these places out. I heard about the parks being shut down because of the fire danger. My wifes family is going camping the 4th of July weekend in Sapillo (near lake roberts). We can't make it to camping so we are doing the caverns. My children have never been and my wife has not been since she was tenish...

Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default Tip on Caverns

The Second time was better for me on visiting the Caverns first time we walked all the Way with Radios i dont know if they still have them. I can Read Fast so the Radios would only slow me down listening to all that Jabbering. Second time i took the Elevator down and Walked around and ate at the Restaurant down there. Dont for get the Million Dollar Museum at White City if its still there that was just as Fascinating as the Caverns to me. The UFO museum is in Roswell but expect the Temps to be over 100 in Southern N.M. Dont forget the Botanical Gardens south of Roswell on your way to Carlsbad. pintada kid At webtv.net

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I'd go crazy if I still lived there & Lincoln was closed! Oh well if it's good for nature then I'm OK with it.
Well... I don't see how it is. They could close all but the main roads to vehicles, and ban camping... but still let people hike, bike or ride horses in there. IMO that would promote healthy use of the forest while still providing near total protection from man-made fires. Closing all the public land completely is just nuts... and I don't know why we put up with it. In town and on the Res (which is directly upwind of town), where the fire danger is just as great and the potential for disaster much greater, it is business as usual. It was funny how they went from a campfire ban to complete closure in one day. Isn't there anything in between?

Quote:
In Ruidoso take a drive up to ski apache for a beautiful scenic drive & lookout point.
That road is closed too... can't even ride a bicycle up there...

Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Just heard that the Lincoln National Forest will be opened next Wed... good news! Don't know the details though... info is 2nd hand from a guy who works for the forest service. That is the forest around Ruidoso and Cloudcroft.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:44 PM

185 posts, read 488,879 times
Default Ruidoso

Can just add a bit about Ruidoso-certainly worth some time there! Take a tour of the Spencer theater-or better yet, get their schedule and see a show there. Amazing place in the area, and the story of independent Jackie is facinating. Ruidoso is big tourist area, and lots of great places to eat. Ruidoso Downs has the race track and the conveniences (Walmart, Sonic, etc) while Ruidoso has the charm (and high taxes.) If you can spend some time, consider staying in one of the Upper Canyon cabins although you can find a decent motel room if you want. Run up to Lincoln and other areas on the Billy the Kid highway, facinating area and nice day trip. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico