Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,589,850 times

Advertisements

I think that New Mexico is a place that you really need to spend some extended time in before committing to moving there or anyplace for that matter. I don't know if your British or American but if your use to life in the UK especially the city enviromnents, you would have some huge adjustments to make. I lived in Europe for several years and Im American and I had trouble adjusting to living in this country when I returned. I had become so use to walking and transit I found myself quickly becoming annoyed by having to own a car in the USA and all the driving involved with daily living here. So my best advice is this. Focus on what you like and what you don't think you would like, in where you want to live. Also focus on what is it about New Mexico that is attracting you out of all the other states in the USA. If there is a specific reason you are choosing New Mexico, and you find that it is a place you would like to try out, I would go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Great post, jimrob. Excellent advice!

Rep points for you!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 AM

104 posts, read 377,247 times
Sunglasses just look cool. If you like to people-watch, then the sunglasses are must. Sitting on a street bench, your arm stretched over the back and one leg kicked over the other for an afternoon of entertainment is hard to beat. I don't have to squint as much although squinting is still legal here. Oh, you gotta watch those squint wrinkles! Another good reason to wear sunglasses. I prefer a hat to shade my peepers when I'm not driving. Hats are just cool. As the sun is setting lower you can pull the brim down for a little extra shade and still walk with your head held high. None of the down-cast-shiners for me.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Just saying... I never wear them and I'm outside a lot (at 6,000-10,000ft). And before sunglasses were invented everybody got along fine without them.
rruff...you'd be wise to start wearing them. Among other hazards, the UV radiation in sunlight can greatly increase the chances of developing cataracts.
Years ago, when I was spending lots of time fishing in the Keys, I ordered up a pair of polarized sunglasses from my optometrist and got an earfull of cautionary info. at the same time. After that, I noticed that a remarkably large number of the older fishing guides I met in Key West had eye problems..mostly cataracts. It doesn't hurt, like bright light can, but UV CAN blind you.
"Before there were sunglasses" -a long time ago, by the way- life expectancy was much lower than today, thus, people tended to croak before they went blind from cataracts.
You don't need to spend a lot of money...just make sure they block UV to 95%+. Come on :c ool:...break down and put 'em on.
Read more:
Choosing sunglasses: Is UV protection important? - MayoClinic.com

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM

775 posts, read 2,592,041 times
Default Sunglasses Tip

For years i hated summer and hot weather and the Sun and felt tired all the time in the Sun and then i started wearing sunglasses and tank tops and shorts and now the heat doesnt bother me and i love being out in the Sun. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-25-2008, 05:44 PM

96 posts, read 410,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
For years i hated summer and hot weather and the Sun and felt tired all the time in the Sun...
I came from Ireland to Los Angeles where it's pretty dry, and was surprised to figure out after a few months of being tired that it was due to dehydration. When I lived in Ireland and England I don't remember ever drinking water unless I was hot from painting the house! I used to play 18 holes of golf without bringing a bottle of water.

We visited ABQ last week and I can add that it is much dryer than Los Angeles. I hope I adapt in a few weeks of living there. It didn't help that it was a heatwave!

We bought a house in the East Mountains (Sandia Park) and the real estate agent said that it's really safe and that most people don't worry about leaving doors open etc.

I can't vouch for the schools because I don't have kids, but there are schools around Highway 14 and Frost Road that looked very nice from the street at least! The area of Cedar Crest and Sandia Park seems to have a high percentage of working professionals, including a high percentage of people working at home, so that's usually a good sign that the schools will be well funded (half the battle quite often, since there's never enough money for extra curricular activities in most schools).

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
I was very very dry when we first moved here 6 weeks ago. I just couldn't get enough water. Now I have adjusted ... I still try to remember to drink a lot of water, but I don't have the parched feeling I first had.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:25 PM

153 posts, read 542,232 times
Santa Fe will give you the best of New Mexico at a price that you will find reasonable after living in the UK. The city has an unparalleled international arts scene, lively plaza, access to recreation areas, and excellent bistros, music, recreational and cultural services, and cafes. Its a great time to buy a home in Santa Fe due to the US recession, and prices have dipped to as low as $200 per square foot for a very nice adobe home, not too far (a mile or so) from the action of the plaza. Rents are high, but not by UK standards, and there are "locals" deals available after you get to know the city (I have friends who house sat for free in Sta. Fe).

90% of the crime in New Mexico is in Albuquerque and Las Cruces. Parts of Albuquerque can very nice, offering a bit more hustle and bustle, but the schools are terrible and crime has really jumped over the past 10 years.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM

193 posts, read 814,313 times
If you are concerned about crime (as I assume almost anyone is), then I would suggest that you not move to Albuquerque or Rio Rancho. I have lived in almost every major area of Albuquerque, and have witnessed crime first hand on some level in all of them. The closest I got to low crime was in the far northeast heights. At least until meth lab & pipe bombs were discovered in the home 3 doors down from mine.

The problem with Albuq. in regards to crime, is that it truly is everywhere, not just in certain pockets as you may find in other cities/towns. Even a person who is not involved in criminal activities, or with criminal minded people, can feel the effects of being surrounded by crime. I finally moved out of Albuquerque to a small Northern NM town. The month before I moved, I heard gunshots nearby on around three separate occasions.

As others have mentioned, the East Mountain area is very nice for families, and is somewhat affordable (though I've noticed the prices have really jumped in the last 7 years since I lived there). I never felt like there was a crime problem in the East Mountains, though I imagine there is at least *some*.

Corrales, for those who can afford it is a very nice option for those that wish to live close to Albuquerque, but maintain a greater sense of safety, not to mention it's much prettier there. They also have a great elementary school in Corrales.

There are also some very nice smaller towns and villages in Northern New Mexico, some are within easy driving distance to Santa Fe, and some are equal distances to Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Many of these smaller towns boast really excellent charter schools.

I'd say the biggest weather concern in NM is drought and fires, though as others mentioned, there are also areas with tornadoes and earthquakes, but they don't seem to occur too often or endanger people too much when they do.

Personally, I really do not like Albuquerque, though other parts of NM can be nice, but I will say that the majority of people I've met who have moved to Albuquerque or other parts of NM from elsewhere, really do love it here. I think it's usually those of us who have spent most of our lives here who have a love/hate relationship with the state.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
There are also some very nice smaller towns and villages in Northern New Mexico, some are within easy driving distance to Santa Fe, and some are equal distances to Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Many of these smaller towns boast really excellent charter schools.
Can you specifically list these smaller towns and villages in Northern NM? This is just what I am looking for, plus I am a teacher and may want to look into these charter schools if you have any specific names.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico